IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New IOW, Google needs to out-Apple itself. :-/
I don't have time for a big, thoughtful response to either of you, but I can see several things Google should do or should have done. Some of these are going to be Very Difficult, however.

* Curate the Google Play store. Yes, this will hurt. The standards don't need to be as tough or as opaque as Apple's (and I don't think it should be at all), but it needs to happen.
* Licence the "Android" name and vett devices that want to use it. Or something like that. This means that shit Android devices will be told they cannot use the name. At all. They can also use this to help co-erce vendors to keep up with the OS upgrades. This is also hard because it will mean an attempt to put the "open source" genie back in the bottle. It was a great sentiment, but it's not working so well.

I'm sure you could think of other points.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New On your second point:
Neither of the big new Android handsets in the UK (i.e. Samsung Galaxy S 3 and the HTC One X) make any mention of the word "Android" or "Google" anywhere in their their current advertising campaigns - at least, not in anything other than the small print.

Be under no illusion: Samsung sells Samsung phones, not Android phones made by Samsung.

It's not just about the SGS3, either; the Galaxy Note's adverts also have a conspicious lack of Google and Android about them.
Expand Edited by pwhysall July 18, 2012, 09:09:06 AM EDT
New Hmm. I hadn't noticed.
You're right: the brands are selling brand loyalty. I've been subject to that myself.

Maybe that genie simply can't be put back in that bottle...

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Google is doing #2 to a certain extent
They're now threatening to withhold early access to new versions unless the manufacturer adheres to an upgrade pledge. I doubt it will work.

Google absolutely needs to do some curation, but that doesn't address the fragmentation much if at all. There's no walled garden, so there will always be competing Android stores. What we'll probably see is Amazon and Play duking it out for the top 1 and 2 spots, and multiple much smaller stores from the manufacturers, carriers, and so on.

There's probably room for a 3rd party in-app purchase provider, but the apps will need to include the libraries themselves or users won't bother. Theoretically you can use Amazon's in-app purchasing for apps sold in the Google store, but only if the user downloads and installs the Amazon store app. Google Play requires Google Mobile to be installed, which is a bit deeper than just an app. If you have a Kindle Fire you have to root the device to get it on there. The vast majority of users, again, aren't going to bother.

The Nook doesn't even have an in-app purchase API for its store, and in fact B&N will reject your app if it implements in-app purchasing or advertising.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     Android rant Tuesday - (malraux) - (8)
         The solution seems to be... - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Nobody's going to want single-purpose devices - (drook) - (2)
                 True, but I wasn't clear what I was suggesting. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Defeated by the market share issue - (malraux)
             IOW, Google needs to out-Apple itself. :-/ - (static) - (3)
                 On your second point: - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Hmm. I hadn't noticed. - (static)
                 Google is doing #2 to a certain extent - (malraux)

How much more blacker could this album cover get? None more blacker.
83 ms