IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nobody's going to want single-purpose devices
We had phones before that were just phones, and cameras that were just cameras. We're not going back to that.
--

Drew
New True, but I wasn't clear what I was suggesting.
Fragmentation and the other issues that malraux outlined are serious and are holding the Android platform back. If a small ISV could say:

"This app is certified to run on the new Widget tablet running Android 4.1 (JB). You can get our app and the Widget for a special bundle price of $x."

It wouldn't be a single-purpose box, it would be a standard Android box, but an up-to-date one that the ISV could target and maybe get a piece of the hardware money as well (if tablets become cheap enough - it obviously wouldn't work especially well for smart phones that depend on phone company subsidies). The Store issues would have to be addressed as well, but if it were a standard JB box then presumably at least Google Play would work out of the box.

I agree it's not practical (at least not for the biggest players), but it is a way to attack the problem. Another way is to somehow get preloaded on new boxes (the DOS/Windows/Office model). Otherwise, the market isn't going to be very big (in a sensible sense) for a few more years (after things shake out some more), and ISVs are going to be struggling in the Android space.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Defeated by the market share issue
It is very unlikely that a small ISV is going to get someone to buy a phone with their Angry Birds clone, and the people who do are a very small install base.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     Android rant Tuesday - (malraux) - (8)
         The solution seems to be... - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Nobody's going to want single-purpose devices - (drook) - (2)
                 True, but I wasn't clear what I was suggesting. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Defeated by the market share issue - (malraux)
             IOW, Google needs to out-Apple itself. :-/ - (static) - (3)
                 On your second point: - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Hmm. I hadn't noticed. - (static)
                 Google is doing #2 to a certain extent - (malraux)

I think that might be an LRPDism candidate...
43 ms