IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I think I can make the argument
that Canon Law is the reason behind the 1st Amendment.
New Yup
And Beep would probably like it revoked.

Only when people are insulting religion, of course.
New Know what.
Fuck you. Full stop.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Very good example
I say something insulting (as considered by some, a perfectly reasonable observation to others), I get a demand to stop, using directed profanity.

I think we are pretty clear this point has been proven.

Hey Beep: I'll fight for your right to continue to insult me.
Something tells me you don't agree with that attitude.
New Of what, exactly.
Your ability to assume a position for me and insult me, directly?

Barry, we are done here.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New If you say so
But again and again, either an insult of association fits or it doesn't.

Either prove the accusation wrong or say openly they fucked up. Don't defend where we are simply because it's been that way long enough, and the rest of us need to put up with it, or follow YOUR path to fix it.

Oh, actually, here the core phrase.

LONG ENOUGH.

But once you do that, you now have to deal with NOT fixing it.

And that hurts you.

Sorry.
New There's an accusation now?
Why don't you make up my response, too.
New Easily
But I know when to stop.
You've displayed enough to be obvious.
Don't peel away the layers, danger there.

Of course, when the same silly argument pops up in the future, I'll slap it down.

Unless admin tells me otherwise, or until enough people I respect (you know, the rational kind as well as willing to actually tell their kids the truth) tell me to stop.
New Hey, I'm a canon law scholar now, yay
http://en.wikipedia....he_United_Kingdom

My area of interest would be in punishment for Blasphemy of course.

Happy reading!
New That would all be well and good.
But it wouldn't make a difference. If the basis of common law is canon law, which it is, it's too ingrained.

And I would also reply in retort that the church of england, and not canon law, was the reason for the first amendment.
New Not sure it is.
What began with rules ("canons") adopted by the Apostles at the Council of Jerusalem in the first century has developed into a highly complex legal system encapsulating not just norms of the New Testament, but some elements of the Hebrew (Old Testament), Roman, Visigothic, Saxon, and Celtic legal traditions.

In the Roman Church, positive ecclesiastical laws, based upon either immutable divine and natural law, or changeable circumstantial and merely positive law, derive formal authority and promulgation from the office of pope, who as Supreme Pontiff possesses the totality of legislative, executive, and judicial power in his person. The actual subject material of the canons is not just doctrinal or moral in nature, but indeed all-encompassing of the human condition.

While the original rules included those traditional elements above, the Canon law as a whole dictates what is acceptable and what is not. (Thus the term Canon)

Common Law does not have "rules". In fact, the entire composition of Common law is based on "what has been decided before", particularly in civil suits. It's not because someone (or some God) decreed what is the ideal, but rather it's because this case is similar to the case last year. ie: stare decisis

In fact...if you go back to Henry II (birthplace of Common Law) you'll see that there was a huge fight between the law of the King (Common) vs Church Law (canon).
New Thank you.
New Re: Not sure it is.
It's in there.

http://www.hanselawr...f/Vol1No1Art7.pdf

Roman and canon law were used to fill gaps while common law was emerging.
New Actually, if you read carefully...
Local matters were dealt with by the feudal courts, which were eventually eclipsed by the popularity and expansion of the royal courts.The extent to which judges drew upon the Roman Law and Civil Law during the formative years of the common law is unclear.

She goes on to state that because they were trained at schools that taught Roman law there must have been influences. Oh and they used Roman terms (actually they still use Latin).

One writer suggests that the early royal judges made new laws ‘out of necessity’, re­shaping local customs, Roman Law and Civil Law principles to fit around the forms of action that were used in the courts. The courts never
revealed the origins of these customs and principles. Instead, the doctrines of precedent and stare decisis as well as the fiction that judges merely declare the law ensured that their decisions would be presented as the product of reason.

I'll grant you that our legal system (both criminal and civil) still uses Latin.
New Can't cut and paste from pdf
First paragraph page 82
New Here is your quote.
The ecclesiastical courts applied the canon law, a sub­category of the Civil Law as defined. These courts dealt with the clergy and personal matters including matrimony and probate. While the jurisdiction of the ecclesiastical courts was eventually transferred to the common law courts in the 19th century, the canon law influenced equity before then,which, in turn, later became a part of the Common Law.

A few thoughts.

1) Roman Law != Canon Law.
2) I am not willing to concede that Canon Law is the basis of Common Law. I will, however, concede that Canon Law influenced Common Law. (Canon law include laws of matrimony and probate after all, and these areas were originally outside the King's dominion.

However, influence is slippery term. Certainly Canon Law influenced Henry VIII decision - but I'm not sure I'd argue that that they were based of Canon Law. :-)
New Concession
My first post was too broad, should have.said canon law was influential, but not "the" basis. In the areas under discussion in this thread, it was the basis...but not overall.
     why am I not surprised - (boxley) - (92)
         Re: why am I not surprised - (beepster) - (88)
             Binary Man continues to be Binary. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (87)
                 Please enlighten me about how you perceive this as binary? - (beepster) - (86)
                     Re: Please enlighten me about how you perceive this as binar - (Another Scott) - (85)
                         Ok - (beepster) - (84)
                             Re: Ok - (beepster) - (83)
                                 Re: Ok - (Another Scott) - (82)
                                     Oh, I get it - (beepster) - (81)
                                         Binary Man continues to be Binary. - (Another Scott) - (80)
                                             Hmmm. No evidence, no med diagnosis to support - (beepster) - (79)
                                                 As usual - (crazy) - (78)
                                                     Re: As usual - (beepster) - (77)
                                                         Whoa, "more tolerant"? - (crazy) - (1)
                                                             dont forget dessicated porcupines :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                                         And as far as tolerance: - (crazy) - (58)
                                                             Well then - (beepster) - (57)
                                                                 You don't get to own the word. - (crazy) - (28)
                                                                     My statements? - (beepster) - (27)
                                                                         Path of least resistance? - (crazy) - (26)
                                                                             Hmm. You appear to not be paying attention. - (beepster) - (25)
                                                                                 Marriage - (crazy) - (24)
                                                                                     Can't believe this - (beepster) - (23)
                                                                                         And neither does anyone else - (crazy) - (22)
                                                                                             Sure appears that way - (beepster) - (21)
                                                                                                 Ah, me idiot - (crazy) - (20)
                                                                                                     I don't need to re-read - (beepster) - (19)
                                                                                                         Hmm, I thought our laws were dervied from English common law - (Another Scott) - (18)
                                                                                                             dig deeper - (beepster) - (17)
                                                                                                                 I think I can make the argument - (S1mon_Jester) - (16)
                                                                                                                     Yup - (crazy) - (7)
                                                                                                                         Know what. - (beepster) - (6)
                                                                                                                             Very good example - (crazy) - (4)
                                                                                                                                 Of what, exactly. - (beepster) - (3)
                                                                                                                                     If you say so - (crazy) - (2)
                                                                                                                                         There's an accusation now? - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             Easily - (crazy)
                                                                                                                             Hey, I'm a canon law scholar now, yay - (crazy)
                                                                                                                     That would all be well and good. - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                                                                         Not sure it is. - (S1mon_Jester) - (6)
                                                                                                                             Thank you. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                             Re: Not sure it is. - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                                                                                 Actually, if you read carefully... - (S1mon_Jester) - (3)
                                                                                                                                     Can't cut and paste from pdf - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                                                                         Here is your quote. - (S1mon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             Concession - (beepster)
                                                                 Also, you STOLE the word and the concept - (crazy) - (14)
                                                                     >I< didn't do anything - (beepster) - (13)
                                                                         Sure, when your people killed off the competition - (crazy) - (12)
                                                                             You mean, like Islam? - (beepster) - (11)
                                                                                 Sure - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                                     ICLRPD - (rcareaga)
                                                                                 Interesting side track - (crazy) - (8)
                                                                                     You disavow your own arguments so easily - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                                         "intolerant" - (crazy) - (6)
                                                                                             to what point and to what end - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                                                 No, I'm not - (crazy) - (4)
                                                                                                     Wrong, and there you go again - (beepster) - (3)
                                                                                                         Good - (crazy) - (2)
                                                                                                             Who? - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                                 I had the same decision - (crazy)
                                                                 "Separate but equal" doesn't work. We tried that. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                                     You are missing the point to..so let me be clear - (beepster) - (11)
                                                                         Nice try. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                             Re: Nice try. - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                 Why does it matter? -NT - (crazy)
                                                                         better yet, no need for a state marriage license at all - (boxley) - (7)
                                                                             Agreed -NT - (crazy) - (6)
                                                                                 Argh - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                                     No, I want it at the FEDERAL level - (crazy) - (4)
                                                                                         Go back and read, butthead - (beepster) - (3)
                                                                                             The single word matters - (crazy) - (2)
                                                                                                 no, actually it doesn't. - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                     Of course not - to you - (crazy)
                                                         Well, a little off there... - (S1mon_Jester) - (15)
                                                             Re: Well, a little off there... - (beepster) - (14)
                                                                 I like irony. I'm ok with that - (crazy)
                                                                 Really, you haven't heard of Richard Cohen? - (S1mon_Jester) - (12)
                                                                     Hmm - (beepster) - (11)
                                                                         Nope. - (S1mon_Jester) - (10)
                                                                             NO IT WAS NOT - (beepster) - (9)
                                                                                 My apologies - your argument was that - (S1mon_Jester) - (8)
                                                                                     He doesn't do that - (crazy)
                                                                                     Ask youself - (beepster) - (6)
                                                                                         Apparently not acceptable to you... - (S1mon_Jester) - (5)
                                                                                             Well then, - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                                                 Tough when you don't understand the culture -NT - (crazy) - (3)
                                                                                                     You proven only one thing here - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                                         Such a surprise - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                                                             You had an argument with yourself - (beepster)
         Re: why am I not surprised - (pwhysall)
         It was pretty inevitable - (jay)
         If one has the patience.. - (Ashton)

ASHTO...
boot: knoppix

Booting AshtoKnoppix kernel:
Attitude fault in sarcasm module at h07734, f000
Beneficence module missing
Closing hyperbole stack
Irreverence matrix CRC-error.
WMD military overlay timeout: colonel panic
unmount hda-0