IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It wasn't
http://www.pbs.org/w...part4/4p2967.html
To retain the loyalty of the remaining border states -- Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri -- President Lincoln insisted that the war was not about slavery or black rights; it was a war to preserve the Union.
On January 1, 1863, he issued the final Emancipation Proclamation. With it he officially freed all slaves within the states or parts of states that were in rebellion and not in Union hands. This left one million slaves in Union territory still in bondage.

If it were about slavery the slaves in the northern states would have been freed, not just those in the confederate states.

A recent issue of BBC Knowledge had an article about the civil war and covers this. I don't see it online, I'll post some extracts when I get back to Houston.
New And why were the confederate states trying to secede?
--

Drew
New why was the union stealing slaves then selling therm?
see confiscated property link above you
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New I don't deny that slavery was a factor
but as my prior post shows it was about establishing that once a member, always a member
http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU
New Their Constitutional Rights were being violated by the North
Article 4 Section 2.

http://www.usconstit...const_A4Sec2.html

HTH.
New A neat, bound copy for $5 ppd?! Order 300M of the suckers.
New They lost the argument. Thankfully.
New What argument?
No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, But shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.

I'm not saying this was a "good thing" to be in the Constitution. But really, are you saying it didn't exist? Or that escaping slaves were being returned? Like it or not, the South did have the Law on their side.
New If it's so clear cut, what was Dred Scott about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dred_Scott

Inquiring minds and all that.

The law is rarely as clear as it might appear on reading just the original document.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Huh?
Nice try. If Dred Scott had been a suit over a slave owner's right to have their escaped slaves returned from a free state, then you'd be on point. But, you aren't.

Dred Scott sued his owners for his freedom and, ultimately, the USSC said, essentially, he didn't even have standing to sue. The Dred Scott decision was consistent with the Constitution at the time. Which is exactly the point I made originally.

This is the sort of thing that I can almost agree with Fat Tony Scalia about. The Constitution provides for alterations that are deemed unacceptable. That's how it is supposed to work. I'm not naive. If the 13th Amendment had passed prior to April, 1860, there almost certainly still would have been a Civil War as violent as it was in the absence of Amendment 13. But, it should have been done. If it had been, then the North would have truly had the moral, ethical upper hand. But, they didn't, so they don't. Instead Dubya the First (aka A. Lincoln) treated the Constitution as if it were a worthless rag, ignoring the parts that restricted his power and abusing the civil rights guaranteed the people within it. Only after the South lay in ashes did the North do the right thing.

But the war was not fought over morality. Slavery was only tangentially involved. But, you Yankees can keep pretending that wonderful morally superior Christian Soldiers of the North marched southward and whipped up on the stupid, racist Southerners in order to free the slaves. It's a timeless children's fable I have no doubt will be repeated to my great-grandchildren. That is, if the Yankee government in DC lasts that long. ;0)

Aside: The opinion was an overreach, obviously, in that the ruling barred the Congress from barring slavery. But, I did read something that I'm sure I knew once, but had forgotten.
Ironically, Irene Emerson was remarried in 1850 to Calvin C. Chaffee, a northern congressman opposed to slavery. After the Supreme Court decision, Mrs. Chaffee turned Dred and Harriet Scott and their two daughters over to Dred's old friends, the Blows, who gave the Scotts their freedom in May 1857. On September 17, 1858, Dred Scott died of tuberculosis and was buried in St. Louis.

http://americancivil...d/dred_scott.html
New doffs cap in your direction
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New We live in alternate universes apparently. :-/
New Have you been reading "Disunion" in the NYTimes?
I just glanced at it tonight.

I don't think "Dubya the First" is quite the way I would characterize him. Your opinion might change as well after reading this: http://opinionator.b...nts-she-merrimac/

But, perhaps not... ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New So, because he didn't do it until a year later, ...
it doesn't count? Issuing proclamations that strike down parts of the Constitution without the consent of the governed and without Constitutional Amendments, the suspension of Habeus, are these things not Dubya-esque?

Edit: grammar
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Sept. 12, 2011, 09:09:08 AM EDT
New dubya actually used lincum as precedent in his argument
     TNC: Black Confederates at Harvard - (Another Scott) - (56)
         discuss away - (boxley) - (50)
             exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis -NT - (Another Scott) - (48)
                 corner cases do apply - (boxley) - (47)
                     Read it again. - (Another Scott) - (46)
                         I read it just fine - (boxley) - (45)
                             You think there were 3,000 - 10,000 black fifes in the CSA? -NT - (Another Scott) - (44)
                                 dunno, lets take a look - (boxley) - (43)
                                     You might want to find another source. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                         So the report by Lewis H Steiner. - (boxley) - (4)
                                             Occam's Razor. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                 Ahh, the laugh test - (crazy)
                                                 FFS are you claiming that the description - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Ok... - (Another Scott)
                                     Another rebuttal you might like. - (Another Scott) - (36)
                                         I will quote General Bedford Forrest in rebuttal - (boxley) - (35)
                                             Hold on a second - (drook) - (17)
                                                 it was a war to steal the wealth of the south - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Really? - the wealth of the South . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                 It wasn't - (SpiceWare) - (14)
                                                     And why were the confederate states trying to secede? -NT - (drook) - (13)
                                                         why was the union stealing slaves then selling therm? - (boxley)
                                                         I don't deny that slavery was a factor - (SpiceWare)
                                                         Their Constitutional Rights were being violated by the North - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                                             A neat, bound copy for $5 ppd?! Order 300M of the suckers. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                             They lost the argument. Thankfully. -NT - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                                                 What argument? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                     If it's so clear cut, what was Dred Scott about? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                                         Huh? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                             doffs cap in your direction -NT - (boxley)
                                                                             We live in alternate universes apparently. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                             Have you been reading "Disunion" in the NYTimes? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                 So, because he didn't do it until a year later, ... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                     dubya actually used lincum as precedent in his argument -NT - (boxley)
                                             Yeah, Forrest was a great man. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                                 you mentioned lots of reporters in the war eh? - (boxley) - (9)
                                                     You're dancing around the issue. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         hey thanx! you just admitted 1500 black csa troops - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             Read it again. They didn't fight. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                 never said they did, I said they served -NT - (boxley)
                                                     You didn't answer my question. Did you miss it? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                         sorry, I went back thru your links - (boxley) - (3)
                                                             One last time, then I'm done. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                 One last time myself - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                     Or as Shelby noted... - (mmoffitt)
                                             Hmmmm . . . Doesn't say they were armed and fighting. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                 so the 90 guys in iraq that support the 10 combat troops - (boxley) - (4)
                                                     Yeah, they're already doing that - (drook) - (3)
                                                         we are saving money doing that? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             What's the question? - (drook) - (1)
                                                                 pick one, I dont care -NT - (boxley)
             (Dup.) -NT - (Another Scott)
         For those interested - TNC has a follow-up - (Another Scott)
         Jourdon Anderson writes his old boss. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             now I wonder if our lincoln would write a similar letter - (boxley) - (1)
                 not a chance - (lincoln)
             Just plain Masterful.. - (Ashton)

Why isn't there a shower in other dimensions?
182 ms