IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New corner cases do apply
a flat statement to prove that there was black confederates. Provided some proof, what was the issue again?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Read it again.
There's a difference between being a "fifer" and being a rifleman, etc.

There were slaves building battlements and so forth for the Confederates. That doesn't mean there were "3000 - 10,000" black confederate troops fighting to preserve their slavery.

Levin's post cited by TNC:

His representative example of a black Confederate turned out to be none other than John Parker, who briefly manned a Confederate battery at First Manassas. Parker was the subject of a recent Disunion post by Kate Masur. Even a cursory glance at the historical record indicates that Parker was a slave. Stauffer admits this, but goes on to contend that his presence with the artillery battery rendered him a soldier. During the Q&A I pointed out that at no point in Parker’s account does he suggest to being a soldier. In fact, he admits that his freedom lay just across the field in a Yankee camp. Not only does he not consider himself to be a soldier, but there is no evidence that the white soldiers considered him to be a soldier. I went on to suggest that our understanding of a soldier in the Confederate army ought to be built around their own understanding of this status. Stauffer attempted to deal with this by drawing a comparison between slaves and soldiers, suggesting that all soldiers are coerced at some level. Interestingly, this is one of the more popular arguments from the Southern Heritage folks.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I read it just fine
http://www.blackconf...s_website_23.html
There are two images above. (Figure 1.) On the left, Lot Allen enlisted with the Union Army 21st United States Colored Troops (USCT) Company A as an "on order cook." On the right, William Dove enlisted with the Confederate States Army North Carolina 5th Cavalry Company D as a "cook." Both men contribute to United States Military history; and their soldier service records are each recorded in the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).
which one do you intend to deny their military contributions?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New You think there were 3,000 - 10,000 black fifes in the CSA?
New dunno, lets take a look
http://www.blackconf...e_unknown_38.html
. At the November 1861 grand review, there were 33 black officers, 731 black enlisted men.
that gets me to 764. 88 in alabama gives me 852 from the pension records. South Carolina war pension records 328, total now 1180. Tennessee shows 269 total now 1449. 518 in Virginia total now 1967. Now we have a report from Steiner, Sept 10th 1862 that a rebel army of 64k was advancing including around 3k negro troops. Now intel reports and after action reports can be subjective but that was one army in the field. Cumulatively there well may have been a lower bound of 3k black troops thru out the confederacy. http://books.google....onepage&q&f=false they were clearly under arms.
New You might want to find another source.
http://cwmemory.com/...ent-bruce-levine/

Update: Bruce Levine emailed the following to me: “Of course — as would (should?) be clear to anyone who hears or reads the text of my short talk — my point was that facts like the ones I cited are today misconstrued as proof for the preposterous claim that the Confederate army included thousands of black soldiers. That two people who enthusiastically participate in this kind of shameless distortion of historical facts should do the same to my own expose of such chicanery just seems par for the course.”

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New So the report by Lewis H Steiner.
Diary kept during the rebel occupation of Frederick Maryland in the fall of 1862. Published as a representative of the Federal (union) side in an official capacity and published in 1863 is trumped by some yankee Kevin Levine, who is representing another yankee also named Levine, who was complaining about being misquoted? I think you need to find another source. Preferably drawn from the historical record.
New Occam's Razor.
The site you're using has been shown to be publishing incorrect information. They are not trustworthy.

The Civil War started 150 years ago. It is well-documented and well studied. Some obscure web site is not more credible than actual historians who have dedicated their professional lives to studying the topic.

http://thelede.blogs...ederate-soldiers/

As Kevin Sieff reported in The Washington Post on Wednesday, historians are wondering how a fourth-grade textbook in Virginia was approved despite including the spurious claim that “Thousands of Southern blacks fought in the Confederate ranks, including two black battalions under the command of Stonewall Jackson.”

Asked about her sources, the textbook’s author, Joy Masoff — whose other books include “Fire!” and “Oh Yikes! History’s Grossest, Wackiest Moments” — cited Ervin Jordan, a University of Virginia historian who is the author of “Black Confederates and Afro-Yankees in Civil War Virginia.”

Like other noted historians, Mr. Jordan told The Post that while there is documentary evidence that some African-Americans fought for the Confederacy, “There’s no way of knowing that there were thousands…. And the claim about Jackson is totally false.”

Why do you go in for these ridiculous fabrications pushed by fringes of the right wing in this country?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ahh, the laugh test
C'mon 'nother, you can't point that out to box.
That's cheating.
New FFS are you claiming that the description
on page 19 of the book published in 1863 is a lie? Explain why it is a lie, and being used as a reference by a site you dont like 148 years later is not a valid reason
New Ok...
The word "negroes" appears twice in that book, "negro" once. If they were major characters in the story, one would think they'd get more than an off-hand mention.

The book reads like a novel to me, with its omnipotent narrator. It doesn't read like a true eyewitness account. He's not a dispassionate narrator, either, in my reading of the first 20 pages.

http://theaporetic.com/?p=651

[...]

Even though Gen­eral Lee in Jan­u­ary 1865 requested that the CSA Con­gress enlist slaves, they still resisted the idea. How­ell Cobb of Geor­gia in Jan­u­ary of 1865 called the use of negroes as sol­diers “the most per­ni­cious idea that has been sug­gested since the war began,” con­tin­u­ing, “you can­not make sol­diers of slaves or slaves of sol­diers.… The day you make sol­diers of them is the begin­ning of the rev­o­lu­tion. If slaves will make good sol­diers, our whole the­ory of slav­ery is wrong.“3

So even in Novem­ber of 1864, when the rebel army was starv­ing, and in des­per­ate straits, the CSA con­gress still opposed enlist­ing slaves, and it was not legal to do so until March of 1865.

So where does the claim of black Con­fed­er­ate sol­diers come from?

Well, when Rich­mond fell the Union Army did find some par­tial com­pa­nies of slaves who were train­ing as soldiers–the exact num­ber is unclear, 200 at most, says David Blight.4

The sin­gle biggest source for this, though, is very star­tling and worth look­ing at. North­ern Dr. Lewis H. Steiner wit­nessed the Con­fed­er­ate cap­ture of Fred­er­ick, MD in 1862. Steiner wrote “Over 3,000 Negroes must be included in this num­ber [of Con­fed­er­ate troops]. These were clad in all kinds of uni­forms, not only in cast-off or cap­tured United States uni­forms, but in coats with South­ern but­tons, State but­tons, etc. These were shabby, but not shab­bier or seed­ier than those worn by white men in the rebel ranks. Most of the Negroes had arms, rifles, mus­kets, sabers, bowie-knives, dirks, etc.….and were man­i­festly an inte­gral por­tion of the South­ern Con­fed­er­ate Army.“5

Peo­ple who want to believe that loyal slaves fought for the Con­fed­er­acy take this very strong account, and assume that it rep­re­sents the aver­age num­ber of black sol­diers in the Con­fed­er­ate Army, and con­clude that as many as 50,000 black men fought for the con­fed­er­acy! 6

There are all sorts of prob­lems with this. A: was Steiner right about the num­ber? B: was he right that he saw sol­diers, and not slaves in sup­port units? C: can you extrap­o­late what he saw to apply to the rest of the Con­fed­er­ate Army D: what was Steiner’s agenda?

Steiner’s account, which can be read on Google Books, is worth exam­in­ing. Steiner was a par­ti­san: a ded­i­cated Yan­kee, his account of the Con­fed­er­ate Army is clearly designed to ridicule and belit­tle. He mocks the CSA sol­diers for being dirty and ill smelling. He writes, of the black sol­diers: “The fact was patent, and rather inter­est­ing when con­sid­ered in con­nec­tion with the hor­ror rebels express at the sug­ges­tion of black sol­diers being employed for the National defence.” Was he report­ing an accu­rate num­ber, or try­ing to mock the CSA and its Army? It’s also worth not­ing that Steiner’s account describes How­ell Cobb, quoted above, as march­ing into Fred­er­ick with this col­umn of 3000 black troops–the same How­ell Cobb who would write, less than three years later: “you can­not make sol­diers of slaves or slaves of sol­diers.… The day you make sol­diers of them is the begin­ning of the rev­o­lu­tion. If slaves will make good sol­diers, our whole the­ory of slav­ery is wrong.” Can Steiner be right?

Mean­while, none of the other accounts from the occu­pa­tion of Fred­er­ick sup­port this obser­va­tion. None of the con­fed­er­ate sol­diers who were at Fredrick write about black Con­fed­er­ate soldiers–in fact, as Chan­dra Man­ning points out, white CSA sol­diers were for the most part strongly opposed to using slaves in the Army. And again, there’s the fact that the govt. of the CSA for­bid the enlist­ment of slaves in 1862, when Fred­er­ick fell.

There are no accounts from natives of Fred­er­ick of describ­ing 3000 armed black men in town. There are very few accounts from north­ern sol­diers of black troops in arms for the CSA. And keep in mind Civil War bat­tles were heav­ily cov­ered by reporters. Fred­er­ick is not far from Wash­ing­ton. There are no con­tem­po­rary accounts from reporters of large num­bers of armed black sol­diers in the CSA.

So we have a case of one source–Steiner–being taken as gospel and then enlarged to the point where it has turned into 50,ooo black sol­diers, approx­i­mately 1/3 the total CSA Army in 1865.

It’s a case of wish ful­fill­ment. Peo­ple want to believe in black Con­fed­er­ates, and they reuse to let his­tor­i­cal evi­dence stand in their way. It’s pos­si­ble some black men fought for the con­fed­er­acy: it’s a big coun­try, there are a lot of peo­ple in it with a lot of motives. It’s very likely some slaves and pos­si­bly free blacks served in sup­port posi­tions and as ser­vants. Nos­tal­gia, after the war, might remem­ber that ser­vice as sol­dier­ing. To turn it into a large scale phe­nom­e­non of black men fight­ing for the Con­fed­er­acy, you have to ignore the facts.

Emphasis added.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Another rebuttal you might like.
http://www.armchairg...8284&postcount=43

Commenting on several excerpts from primary sources:

Remember that Jefferson Davis, his Sec of War, Confederate Congress, & several of the top generals of the Confederacy all advocated the killing of Union black soldiers & their white officers for enciting "servile insurrection". To go from a policy of killing armed blacks to allowing them on the field of battle on your side seems a bit outlandish. The fact that even at the end of the war there were still plenty of people in opposition to the idea of arming slaves EVEN IF IT MEANT SAVING THE CONFEDERACY-is scary.

[...]

What I find interesting here are two things. First is that here is yet another primary account of a Southern officer offering up the major cause of the war. Second is the notion of "black" Confederates. Here you have several divisional commanders scattered throughout the Army of Tennessee declaring that "armed" blacks would be detremental to the existence of the army. Now if there WERE any armed blacks operating in what amounts to the 2nd major army of the Confederacy (after the Army of Northern Virginia in the East), you would think these gentlemen would be aware of it. You would think that the arguments would be along the lines of "well, we have a few blacks in one of my brigades, but they are the exception not the rule", but you don't hear that one bit. To me this is simply more proof that at BEST the notion of armed "black" Confederates is extremely rare.

[...]

Why would the Confederates be so concerned about raising their own black troops when they hated & despised ANY black troops enough to commit these atrocities against them? Armed slave rebellions were FEARED throughout the South. So the idea of arming slaves goes contrary to everything that they stood for.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I will quote General Bedford Forrest in rebuttal
In an 1868 interview with General Bedford Forrest, the United States 40th Congress 3rd Session reported that General Forrest said," “I want you to understand distinctly, I am not an enemy to the negro. We want him here among us; he is the only laboring class we have, and more than that, I would sooner trust him than a white scalawag or carpet-bagger. When I entered the army I took 47 negroes into the army with me, and 45 of them were surrendered with me. I said to them at the start: 'This fight is against slavery; if we lose it, you will be made free; if we whip the fight, and you stay with me and be good boys, I will set you free. In either case you will be free. Those boys stayed with me, drove my teams, and better confederates did not live.'"

quite a bit different from the sneering soliloquy of your blogger
New Hold on a second
Haven't you said before that the Civil War War Between The States was not primarily about slavery? That it was a states rights / self-determination issue?
This fight is against slavery.

If we're going to use this guy as our authoritative contemporary source, I guess you'll have to go back on that "not about slavery" thing.
--

Drew
New it was a war to steal the wealth of the south
the winners succeeded in doing so
I think Bruce Catton is a good scholar of the era. His essay on the 100th anniversary of the emancipation proclamation is telling
Union armies which invaded the South confiscated or destroyed property that helped their foes baled cotton, railroad tracks, factories, stores of food, and the like. Precisely because the slave was admitted to be property, it seemed logical to remove him from his secessionist owners; quite early in the war Maj. Gen. Ben Butler announced that slaves who fled from Confederate masters were “contraband of war” and could be confiscated like other contraband, and the War Department accepted his view.

http://www.nps.gov/a...ulture/catton.htm
Expand Edited by boxley Sept. 4, 2011, 02:24:28 PM EDT
New Really? - the wealth of the South . . .
. . was completely based on slavery. Freeing the slaves could not "steal" the wealth of the South, it just evaporated. Without slaves there was nothing to steal.

An example is the famous Carolina rice, most of which was exported to England and the rest of Europe for great profit. Growing methods were totally based on slavery, so when the slaves were freed, "Carolina" rice was no longer grown in Carolina. It is now grown primarily in Texas and Louisiana.
New It wasn't
http://www.pbs.org/w...part4/4p2967.html
To retain the loyalty of the remaining border states -- Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri -- President Lincoln insisted that the war was not about slavery or black rights; it was a war to preserve the Union.
On January 1, 1863, he issued the final Emancipation Proclamation. With it he officially freed all slaves within the states or parts of states that were in rebellion and not in Union hands. This left one million slaves in Union territory still in bondage.

If it were about slavery the slaves in the northern states would have been freed, not just those in the confederate states.

A recent issue of BBC Knowledge had an article about the civil war and covers this. I don't see it online, I'll post some extracts when I get back to Houston.
New And why were the confederate states trying to secede?
--

Drew
New why was the union stealing slaves then selling therm?
see confiscated property link above you
New I don't deny that slavery was a factor
but as my prior post shows it was about establishing that once a member, always a member
http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU
New Their Constitutional Rights were being violated by the North
Article 4 Section 2.

http://www.usconstit...const_A4Sec2.html

HTH.
New A neat, bound copy for $5 ppd?! Order 300M of the suckers.
New They lost the argument. Thankfully.
New What argument?
No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, But shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.

I'm not saying this was a "good thing" to be in the Constitution. But really, are you saying it didn't exist? Or that escaping slaves were being returned? Like it or not, the South did have the Law on their side.
New If it's so clear cut, what was Dred Scott about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dred_Scott

Inquiring minds and all that.

The law is rarely as clear as it might appear on reading just the original document.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Huh?
Nice try. If Dred Scott had been a suit over a slave owner's right to have their escaped slaves returned from a free state, then you'd be on point. But, you aren't.

Dred Scott sued his owners for his freedom and, ultimately, the USSC said, essentially, he didn't even have standing to sue. The Dred Scott decision was consistent with the Constitution at the time. Which is exactly the point I made originally.

This is the sort of thing that I can almost agree with Fat Tony Scalia about. The Constitution provides for alterations that are deemed unacceptable. That's how it is supposed to work. I'm not naive. If the 13th Amendment had passed prior to April, 1860, there almost certainly still would have been a Civil War as violent as it was in the absence of Amendment 13. But, it should have been done. If it had been, then the North would have truly had the moral, ethical upper hand. But, they didn't, so they don't. Instead Dubya the First (aka A. Lincoln) treated the Constitution as if it were a worthless rag, ignoring the parts that restricted his power and abusing the civil rights guaranteed the people within it. Only after the South lay in ashes did the North do the right thing.

But the war was not fought over morality. Slavery was only tangentially involved. But, you Yankees can keep pretending that wonderful morally superior Christian Soldiers of the North marched southward and whipped up on the stupid, racist Southerners in order to free the slaves. It's a timeless children's fable I have no doubt will be repeated to my great-grandchildren. That is, if the Yankee government in DC lasts that long. ;0)

Aside: The opinion was an overreach, obviously, in that the ruling barred the Congress from barring slavery. But, I did read something that I'm sure I knew once, but had forgotten.
Ironically, Irene Emerson was remarried in 1850 to Calvin C. Chaffee, a northern congressman opposed to slavery. After the Supreme Court decision, Mrs. Chaffee turned Dred and Harriet Scott and their two daughters over to Dred's old friends, the Blows, who gave the Scotts their freedom in May 1857. On September 17, 1858, Dred Scott died of tuberculosis and was buried in St. Louis.

http://americancivil...d/dred_scott.html
New doffs cap in your direction
New We live in alternate universes apparently. :-/
New Have you been reading "Disunion" in the NYTimes?
I just glanced at it tonight.

I don't think "Dubya the First" is quite the way I would characterize him. Your opinion might change as well after reading this: http://opinionator.b...nts-she-merrimac/

But, perhaps not... ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New So, because he didn't do it until a year later, ...
it doesn't count? Issuing proclamations that strike down parts of the Constitution without the consent of the governed and without Constitutional Amendments, the suspension of Habeus, are these things not Dubya-esque?

Edit: grammar
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Sept. 12, 2011, 09:09:08 AM EDT
New dubya actually used lincum as precedent in his argument
New Yeah, Forrest was a great man.
Not.

http://www.balloon-j...ty-plate-will-be/

http://www.balloon-j...-bedford-forrest/

Do you dispute the cites above about it being illegal for blacks to serve as soldiers in the army of the CSA until very late in the war?

Cheers,
Scott.
New you mentioned lots of reporters in the war eh?
In the May 10, 1862 number of Harper’s Weekly, it is reported:
The correspondent of the New York Herald, in one of its late numbers, reports that the rebels had a regiment of mounted negroes, armed with sabres, at Manassas, and that some five hundred Union prisoners taken at Bull Run were escorted to their filthy prison by a regiment of black men.
The image below appeared in Harper’s on January 10, 1863, captioned “Rebel Negro Pickets Seen through a Field Glass.”
http://blog.geneablo...rvin-l-jordan-jr/ now you may claim that this black man's grandfather is lying, feel free. Although the numbers may be in dispute the evidence does show that there were black confederates.
Those 2 cites were a tad biased dont you think?
New You're dancing around the issue.
Much of the "black confederate soldier" stuff out there is a hoax. Yet another example: http://jubiloemancip...na-native-guards/

http://voices.washin...ack_confeder.html

[...]

After months of heated debate, a severely watered-down version of this proposal became Confederate law in March of 1865. Gen. Richard S. Ewell assumed responsibility for implementing it, and Confederate officials and journalists confidently predicted the enlistment of thousands. But the actual results proved bitterly disappointing. A dwarf company or two of black hospital workers was attached to a unit of a local Richmond home guard just a few weeks before the war's end. The regular Confederate army apparently managed to recruit another 40 to 60 men -- men whom it drilled, fed, and housed at military prison facilities under the watchful eyes of military police and wardens -- reflecting how little confidence the government and army had in the loyalty of their last-minute recruits.

This strikingly unsuccessful last-ditch effort, furthermore, constituted the sole exception to the Confederacy's steadfast refusal to employ African American soldiers. As Gen. Ewell's longtime aide-de-camp, Maj. George Campbell Brown, later affirmed, the handful of black soldiers mustered in Richmond in 1865 were "the first and only black troops used on our side."

Oh, but a Confederate General can't possibly know what the policy of the Confederate Army was, I guess.

Sheesh.

Cheers,
Scott.
New hey thanx! you just admitted 1500 black csa troops
The actual 1st Louisiana Native Guards, consisting of Afro-Creoles, was formed of about 1,500 men in April 1861 and was formally accepted as part of the Louisiana militia in May 1862. The Native Guards unit (one of three all-black companies) never saw combat while in Confederate service, and was largely kept at arm’s length by city and state officials; in fact, it often lacked proper uniforms and equipment.
from your link, add the 1500 confederate pensioners noted earlier you have the 3k
New Read it again. They didn't fight.
New never said they did, I said they served
New You didn't answer my question. Did you miss it?
Do you dispute the cites above about it being illegal for blacks to serve as soldiers in the army of the CSA until very late in the war?

If you don't dispute that, then you're just trolling. If you do, then there's little to discuss since you don't accept what should be irrefutable evidence.

Which is it? Or is it something else? If so, please elaborate.

(And yes, Dennis G at Balloon-Juice doesn't pull his punches. But he gave cites. By "the cites above" I meant quotes in earlier comments of mine.)

Cheers,
Scott.
New sorry, I went back thru your links
and dont see anything regarding it being illegal to allow black soldiers in the south.
New One last time, then I'm done.
http://voices.washin...ack_confeder.html

As a matter of fact, one of Jefferson Davis's generals did advise him to emancipate and arm slaves at the start of the war. But Davis vehemently rejected that advice. It "would revolt and disgust the whole South," he snapped. During the first few years of the war, some others repeated this suggestion. Each time, Richmond slapped it down. Not only would no slaves be enlisted; no one who was not certifiably white, whether slave or free, would be permitted to become a Confederate soldier.

And the Confederacy's policy of excluding blacks from its armed forces was effective. John Beauchamp Jones, a high-level assistant to the secretary of war, scoffed at rumors that the Confederacy had units made up of slaves. "This is utterly untrue," he wrote in his diary. "We have no armed slaves to fight for us." Asked to double-check, Confederate Secretary of War James Seddon confirmed that "No slaves have been employed by the Government except as cooks or nurses in hospitals and for labor."

Why were the leaders so stubborn on this point? Because they were fighting to preserve African American slavery and the racial creed that justified it. Slavery's defenders insisted that blacks were inferior to whites -- uniquely suited to dull, arduous labor but incapable of assuming the responsibilities of free people, citizens or soldiers. As Seddon explained, since the Confederacy had taken that stand both before "the North and before the world," it could "not allow the employment as armed soldiers of negroes." Putting blacks into gray uniforms would be seen as a confession that this ideology was a lie. Even more practically, the Confederacy worried about what black troops would do with their weapons. At the very least they feared (in the words of Confederate Secretary of State Judah P. Benjamin) that black Confederate soldiers would desert to the enemy "in mass."

I find it curious that so many people who now throw around words like "tyranny" and "slavery" for eventually being required to buy health insurance (or pay a fine) or to wear seat belts (or pay a fine) are compatriots of those who say that there were thousands of blacks who willingly took up arms and fought for a system that actually enslaved people. Would those who claim that there actually were such thousands have been among them if they were in their shoes? Would you?

I wouldn't.

In closing, have a read of this: http://www.bjmjr.net/mcbride/myth.htm

[...]

Cleburne’s Proposal

There was, however, at least one serious proposal for a Black Confederate Army Brigade made by the South’s Major General Patrick R. Cleburne. Cleburne was a general in the Irish Army and volunteered to serve the Confederacy after the Civil War actually began in April of 1861. Meeting with nearly half of Jefferson Davis’ top generals at Tunnel Hill, Georgia, on January 2, 1864, Cleburne advised his fellow Confederate commanders that “we immediately commence training a large reserve of the most courageous of our slaves” and that “we guarantee freedom within a reasonable time to every slave in the South who shall remain true to the Confederacy in this war.”

Cleburne at first had the firm support of General Joseph E. Johnston, the South’s second most powerful general after Robert E. Lee. Johnston, in fact, had assembled the generals in his headquarters on the night of January 2, where the proposal was first laid out. Some of the generals there later claimed that they objected to the basic idea of arming black men and liberating them for their service to the South, but nearly all of the 15 top officers at the meeting praised Cleburne for laying out his bold blueprint for victory for the South.

The reaction from Jefferson Davis and his Secretary of War, James A. Seddon, was a blanket rejection. Despite what they saw as the “patriotic intents of the gallant author of the memorial and such of his brother officers as may have favored his opinions,” they ordered an immediate “suppression, not only of the memorial itself, but likewise of all discussion and controversy respecting or growing out of it.”

[...]

I think I'm done.

Cheers,
Scott.
New One last time myself
I have read part of the black historian's book who claimed his grand/greatfather fought for the confederacy. Parts of the book is available free on google. Read the first page or two. He isnt giving anyone a pass.
http://books.google....onepage&q&f=false

I am in no way trying to gloss over slavery but I am assuming that many of the traits of the folks of color and indigenous whites is not as cut and dried as the revisionists would leave you to believe. Having spent time in the deep south 12-15 years after the civil rights act passed with many of the same divisions that have festered for generations still very much at the surface I learned a few things. One being that a man regardless of color is proud, and he will fight strangers for his family, land and way of life even if the person/goverment/entity asserting the change claims it is for the better. So while it would surprise you to think that any male black in the south would fight on behalf of the confederacy it doesnt surprise me at all.

As for your cite that only lily liver'ed whites may serve, please explain General Stand Watie, The seminoles who also fought who were often half black, Creeks, choctaws and others. Trying to claim the south was all about rich white people is revisionism at its worst.
New Or as Shelby noted...
In Richmond, Jefferson Davis repeated, "All we ask is to be let alone," a remark which a Virginia private was to translate into combat terms when he told his captors, "I'm fighting because you're down here."

http://homepage.eirc...Shelby_Foote.html
New Hmmmm . . . Doesn't say they were armed and fighting.
Says "Those boys stayed with me, drove my teams". Driving teams isn't fighting on the front lines, and the fact so many survived this horribly deadly conflict indicates they were back in the logistics chain - in other words, still slaves doing slave work.

This is purely self-serving spin.
New so the 90 guys in iraq that support the 10 combat troops
arnt really soldiering? We can save a lot of money on combat pay if that is the case.
New Yeah, they're already doing that
Or had you not heard about all the contractors we're paying?
--

Drew
New we are saving money doing that?
What was the working title of the young lady who was captured and raped early in the war, wagon driver or teamster wasnt it?
New What's the question?
Is the important part of your post the "aren't really soldiering" part or the "save money on combat pay" part? I thought it was the soldiering part.
--

Drew
New pick one, I dont care
     TNC: Black Confederates at Harvard - (Another Scott) - (56)
         discuss away - (boxley) - (50)
             exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis -NT - (Another Scott) - (48)
                 corner cases do apply - (boxley) - (47)
                     Read it again. - (Another Scott) - (46)
                         I read it just fine - (boxley) - (45)
                             You think there were 3,000 - 10,000 black fifes in the CSA? -NT - (Another Scott) - (44)
                                 dunno, lets take a look - (boxley) - (43)
                                     You might want to find another source. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                         So the report by Lewis H Steiner. - (boxley) - (4)
                                             Occam's Razor. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                 Ahh, the laugh test - (crazy)
                                                 FFS are you claiming that the description - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Ok... - (Another Scott)
                                     Another rebuttal you might like. - (Another Scott) - (36)
                                         I will quote General Bedford Forrest in rebuttal - (boxley) - (35)
                                             Hold on a second - (drook) - (17)
                                                 it was a war to steal the wealth of the south - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Really? - the wealth of the South . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                 It wasn't - (SpiceWare) - (14)
                                                     And why were the confederate states trying to secede? -NT - (drook) - (13)
                                                         why was the union stealing slaves then selling therm? - (boxley)
                                                         I don't deny that slavery was a factor - (SpiceWare)
                                                         Their Constitutional Rights were being violated by the North - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                                             A neat, bound copy for $5 ppd?! Order 300M of the suckers. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                             They lost the argument. Thankfully. -NT - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                                                 What argument? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                     If it's so clear cut, what was Dred Scott about? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                                         Huh? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                             doffs cap in your direction -NT - (boxley)
                                                                             We live in alternate universes apparently. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                             Have you been reading "Disunion" in the NYTimes? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                 So, because he didn't do it until a year later, ... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                     dubya actually used lincum as precedent in his argument -NT - (boxley)
                                             Yeah, Forrest was a great man. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                                 you mentioned lots of reporters in the war eh? - (boxley) - (9)
                                                     You're dancing around the issue. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         hey thanx! you just admitted 1500 black csa troops - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             Read it again. They didn't fight. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                 never said they did, I said they served -NT - (boxley)
                                                     You didn't answer my question. Did you miss it? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                         sorry, I went back thru your links - (boxley) - (3)
                                                             One last time, then I'm done. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                 One last time myself - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                     Or as Shelby noted... - (mmoffitt)
                                             Hmmmm . . . Doesn't say they were armed and fighting. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                 so the 90 guys in iraq that support the 10 combat troops - (boxley) - (4)
                                                     Yeah, they're already doing that - (drook) - (3)
                                                         we are saving money doing that? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             What's the question? - (drook) - (1)
                                                                 pick one, I dont care -NT - (boxley)
             (Dup.) -NT - (Another Scott)
         For those interested - TNC has a follow-up - (Another Scott)
         Jourdon Anderson writes his old boss. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             now I wonder if our lincoln would write a similar letter - (boxley) - (1)
                 not a chance - (lincoln)
             Just plain Masterful.. - (Ashton)

Gleefully participating in the heat death of the Universe!
283 ms