IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Its alive!
thank goodness that HP uses COTS parts...as I had an old HP in the closet...power supply pulled, machine parted out...installed ps in Frankenstein...and voila...back online. Also took this time to upgrade the old Thinkpad to Ubuntu 10...whoot

Ready for machine recommendations (that are not apple)...going to replace Frankenstein...he has served me well...but the failures are becoming more frequent.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New SandyBridge is out. Last gen machines should be cheaper.
Get a Mac. ;-)

Something like this seems pretty tempting to me, but I haven't looked at it in detail. You'd want to add more RAM, of course.

http://www.bhphotovi...ion_Computer.html

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scot.
New can get a new quad core with more ram new...
i5 processor machines are running 600-700 range..amd quads a bit less..550ish
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Yeahbut...
You know as well as me that there's such a thing as false economy. Gotta look at more than the price, number of cores, and the gigglehurtz when comparing machines. How many hours are you going to spend unloading the shovelware on that cheap machine? Are there Linux drivers for that cutting edge sound card?

That's a really big advantage of Macs (and older machines)...

:-)

Of course, the newer machines won't act as space heaters either.

Happy hunting.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Yeahbut...
>gets tan from his 27" LED display<
New Do you want to risk a second-hand Dell?
Business class, of course. IME, they tend to be very solid hardware, but a little oddly specced; I bought a GX520s for Dad and it came with a 40Gb HDD, for instance. That was huge for him, but if I was buying it for myself, I'd replace that.

If you were in Oz, I'd direct you to Greys Online; they sell a lot of ex-lease corporate stuff.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
Expand Edited by static Jan. 5, 2011, 12:12:14 AM EST
New storage isn't that much an issue...open bays though...
are a good thing...as I wouldn't mind just swapping drives over.
New watch out for leaking capacitors on the motherboard

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Re: watch out for leaking capacitors on the motherboard
Easy to spot - touch the top of all electrolytic capacitors - if they are warm, they're not long for this world.
New But by then he's already bought it
no chance for a refund, and Dell still uses propriety motherboards, so bying one from someone like Asus and sticking it into the case may work, but it won't be easy.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New The problem with replacing a Dell motherboard . . .
. . (in recent desktop machines and light servers - their expensive servers are quite proprietary) is Windows. The Windows that came with the Dell can't be used because it needs to see a Dell BIOS on the motherboard to install. at best it will install but fail Activation. Motherboard has been standard for quite some time.

I've heard there are ways around this BIOS thing but I haven't been interested enough to learn about them.
New Don't they use BTX motherboards?
(Wikipedia days they do.)

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New On the slimline machines they probably do . . .
. . but I've got a brand new desktop Inspiron sitting on my bench right now and it has a standard micro-ATX motherboard, and it even seems to have a standard aperture plate. Again, the problem is that the Dell Windows won't install unless it sees a Dell BIOS on the board.
New Builder's delight? or OTS machine?
I recently did a spread sheet for a friend with new egg links.

Starts at $1200 and goes up from there.

quad core with 6GB memory to start and DVD-RW etc...

http://www.gregfolke...rformance_PC.html

There it is in table format.

The SilverStone Fortress FT02B is an awesome case... at $249 it better be.
Expand Edited by folkert Jan. 4, 2011, 11:15:02 PM EST
New Think the Antec would be good enough for me
and I'm not certain I'm going to go full horsepower (i7) as I really do not game or video edit much...and if I decide to video edit I would do that on the kids imac.
     Believe we have another dead soldier - (beepster) - (16)
         Its alive! - (beepster) - (14)
             SandyBridge is out. Last gen machines should be cheaper. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 can get a new quad core with more ram new... - (beepster) - (2)
                     Yeahbut... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Re: Yeahbut... - (pwhysall)
             Do you want to risk a second-hand Dell? - (static) - (7)
                 storage isn't that much an issue...open bays though... - (beepster)
                 watch out for leaking capacitors on the motherboard -NT - (lincoln) - (5)
                     Re: watch out for leaking capacitors on the motherboard - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                         But by then he's already bought it - (lincoln) - (3)
                             The problem with replacing a Dell motherboard . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 Don't they use BTX motherboards? - (static) - (1)
                                     On the slimline machines they probably do . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Builder's delight? or OTS machine? - (folkert) - (1)
                 Think the Antec would be good enough for me - (beepster)
         Lenovo Ideacenter - (beepster)

As seen on TV!
84 ms