IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Use a Mac.
it'll work much better.
New Read my mind.
It's been a busy day. Our new LG washer and dryer were delivered this afternoon, and I'm finally setting up my MacMini Server at the moment. :-)

It's been pretty painless so far, but I don't have much idea of what I'm doing - network-admin-wise. It's looking for updates now. Gotta figure out how to tell it our Windows Workgroup name (not "Workgroup")...

Once the Mini is configured, I'll try doing the iTunes Syncing to the iPad - as you say, I expect it'll be painless.

This Mini is amazing. It's a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM and includes OS X Server with unlimited client licenses. It was something like $750 (refurbished at Apple) plus tax and shipping. I've got it standing up on edge on a shelf with my monitor. It's tiny!

About $5 for a DVI cable to connect to my HP LP2475W (the Server comes with a HDMI to DVI adapter), a Logitech USB mouse, and a MB110LL/A aluminum keyboard and it's good to go.

More later.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Read my mind.
My 1st mac was a mini and I loved it
it had the G4 chip
Let me know hoe the mini server is
I think you will like it

"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New TheReg review of MacMini Server.
http://www.reghardwa...mini_server_2010/

I like it. My earlier complaints about fiddling with CUPS to configure remote access to the attached printer was before I discovered "Server Admin". As you might suspect, just about everything can be done via the GUI tools without messing with CUPS and the like directly.

It's a quick, nearly silent, and unobtrusive little box that consumes hardly any power (compared to my previous dual-core Opteron box). It's hard to beat the features, especially for the price I paid ($850+ shipping and tax for a refurb from Apple).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks
I've just recommended it.
     Stand-alone iPad usage via 3G? Bman? - (Another Scott) - (26)
         Dunno about iPads... - (malraux) - (1)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         Re: Stand-alone iPad usage via 3G? Bman? - (Bman) - (1)
             Thanks. I appreciate it. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Go here for ipad manual - (Bman)
         Is 2GB/month too limiting? - (Another Scott)
         I don't know - (Bman) - (5)
             It's not hard, but it's another bill and ... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 You've got an uphill battle. - (static) - (3)
                     Tell me about it. :-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Put Linux on the Laptop. - (folkert) - (1)
                             :-) - (Another Scott)
         Ok, let's try this - (Bman) - (13)
             It's tempting. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                 Finally did the iPad unboxing. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                     Re: Finally did the iPad unboxing. - (Bman) - (1)
                         Thoughts on charging. - (static)
                     First annoyance - Hangs on syncing with my XP laptop. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                         Use a Mac. - (folkert) - (4)
                             Read my mind. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Re: Read my mind. - (Bman) - (2)
                                     TheReg review of MacMini Server. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Thanks - (crazy)
                     Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Re: Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page - (Bman)
                         I think this might be partly Webkit's fault. - (static)

Opportunities are rarely good news.
56 ms