IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Stand-alone iPad usage via 3G? Bman?
Hi,

IIRC, Bman has an iPad. Maybe some more of you do.

I'm considering getting my mom an iPad (or something like it) so that she can have some internet access via 3G. (I've considered setting her up with a cable or DSL connection, but I've worried about her trashing her system via a virus or something, and figure an iPad is a bit more foolproof.) She's pretty-much home bound. Something with a smaller screen probably isn't a good choice due to her health issues.

Once it's set up, can an iPad (or similar) be used for extended periods (6-9 months or more) without connecting to iTunes or another PC? My understanding is that with a standard (un-jailbroken) iPad it's impossible to add apps without iTunes. I'd like to set it up for her, add a few apps, and then let her use it for things like web browsing, maybe listening to Pandora (or similar), and e-mail. She would only have access via 3G - no WiFi.

Is this feasible yet? Is there an Android tablet that can do it? If not, I guess there's the 3G hotspot option with her laptop, but that brings me back to the problems with viruses and her trashing the system accidentally. "Linux...!!!" :-)

Any other possible options?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Dunno about iPads...
But both the iPod Touch and the iPhone have an App Store application that doesn't require iTunes for purchasing applications.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Thanks.
You're right, of course.

I downloaded the User Guide - http://manuals.info....ad_User_Guide.pdf (19 MB). It certainly seems easy enough to use without iTunes, once it's set up. Even adding apps looks pretty easy.

It looks like it's easy to delete applications, though. :-( I wonder if all the fancy finger motions will be too much for her... :-/

Some more to think about.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Stand-alone iPad usage via 3G? Bman?
The ipad has an app store
you can down load your apps to the ipad and books and movies
you only use itunes to put photos and movies and so on that on your pc's to the ipad
once you are set up you use itunes to do firmwaer updates and back ups
you use the ipad to set up your 3g with at&t

"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Thanks. I appreciate it.
New Go here for ipad manual
http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad

"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
New Is 2GB/month too limiting?
Another issue with 3G, of course, is paying for downloads. AT&T has 250 MB/mo for $15, 2GB/mo for $25. After 2 GB its apparently $10 for an additional GB (but this isn't clear).

According to http://blogs.chron.c...o_the_iphone.html a 2 hour Netflix movie is about 300 MB. A little over 6 movies a month if nothing else is downloaded.

I bet many iPad users are still on the $30/mo unlimited plan. Do other heavy users commonly run over the 2GB limit?

An alternative is a 5 GB/mo plan via a 3G hotspot, e.g., http://shop.sprint.c...TNAV=ATG:FT:Plans for $60/mo (note they claim around 7 movies for 5 GB).

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for any additional info.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I don't know
I have the $30/mo unlimited plan
Buy I use the wifi at home and out a lot
I have not gone over 2GB
how hard would it be to set up a Wireless Router in her home with out her getting near it?
Comcast is like 49.99 for internet

New It's not hard, but it's another bill and ...
I've debated for a long time about getting her cable and internet, but it's really a can of worms. If she has WiFi then she'll want to use it with her Vista laptop, and then the issue of keeping it running becomes a big concern. If I swap the laptop for the iPad, she'll think she's being deprived (she's a bit of a MS fan). Just getting WiFi without the iPad is too easy to break. I want something foolproof for her.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the 16 GB iPad with WiFi/3G and the 2 GB/mo 3G data plan. It seems the simplest and least likely to break. If she goes over 2 GB/mo, she'll have to learn to be more economical with her web traffic. ;-)

I'll keep cogitating for a few days...

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Scott.
New You've got an uphill battle.
You said it yourself: "(she's a bit of an MS fan)"

IME, people like that *will* have MS-type computer problems sooner or later. The only way out is to teach them to *not* be "a bit of an MS fan". It may take a disaster or two to do it; that was the only way my sister got taught to be wary of IE's security.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Tell me about it. :-)
I actually think she'll like the iPad. She was after me for a while a few years ago to get her a BlackBerry (without really knowing what it was). She's not a "Microsoft or nothing" person. She mainly doesn't like feeling she's missing out.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Put Linux on the Laptop.
She isn't missing anything.
New :-)
I knew you'd suggest that. :-)

I might eventually, but not as the first attempted solution. $30 a month for 3G is better than $50+ for cable internet, plus I'm sure there will be fewer headaches.

If the iPad doesn't work out for her, I can use it. IIRC, her laptop is a Gateway dual-core AMD Vista machine which was astonishingly slow even after I did a substantial memory upgrade. No doubt it would be better with Ubuntu, but not vastly better. And she has several Windows games she plays, so that might make her cranky if they didn't run....

I'm assuming she'll keep the laptop for her Windows stuff and use the iPad for Internet stuff.

I will keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ok, let's try this
I'm trying this with my mother
1. if you have an apple store near by I'm taking her to the store to take free mac work shops
2. when she has some mac training if she likes it I will get her a mac mini
that why she can use safari,crome,or firefox
the cost is not much more and she can do more and get her away from MS

ipad 16 Gb with wifi and 3G is $629. + $25./m + apps $0/$20.00+ a case from $39.00 to $70.00
Mac mini $699.00 + keyboard $49.00 + cable $49.99 (no over charge)

New It's tempting.
I just got a Mac Mini Server so I'm aware they're good boxes. (I haven't set it up yet.) I don't think it would be a good fit for her, though. As I said to Greg above, I'll try the iPad and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out for her, I can use it, and I'll cross the next bridge as it happens.

Thanks.

Best of luck with your Mom!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Finally did the iPad unboxing.
I got the 32GB WiFi + 3G model a few weeks ago and finally found the time to set it up.

It's an amazing little box.

I have it in an Otterbox Commuter case which seems pretty good. Putting the screen protector on wasn't too difficult.

Of course, I had to install the latest iTunes on my XP laptop - that took half of forever. Registration of the iPad was fairly painless. I downloaded several free apps.

Setting up WiFi was trivial. It connects and runs well with our home network.

I had to Sync again for the downloaded apps to install, and it took a while. Osmos is very neat - it's a physics-based inelastic collision game where you're a cell.

So far, I'm very impressed. One annoyance is that it doesn't charge through my laptop's USB port - I have to use the charging adapter and the USB cable (dunno if that's the way it always works or if I've got weak ports).

Now to figure out how to set it up so that my mom doesn't drain my credit card by downloading half the internet, and to decide when to start the 3G service... :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Finally did the iPad unboxing.
Great!!
Your mom will love it
I love mine
you can not charge it with a laptop
it takes more to charge then an ipod
use the wall charger
video uses the most power
just playing on the web the power will last for days
New Thoughts on charging.
There was an article a few months ago about a little company who figured out how to make their battery-powered emergency USB charger work on iPods. And then again on newer iPods. And then again on even newer iPods.

Turns out Apple are playing somewhat with the USB electrical current rules and use specific resisters across the datalines in their charging things to tell the iDevice when it can take its (usually) motza charging current. That's why it won't charge on a laptop: it's made so it can't.

Wade.

New First annoyance - Hangs on syncing with my XP laptop.
I bought a movie and a music video and some other stuff, then tried to sync it. It trundled for a while, but there was no disk activity. Then it gave up with an error popup with lots of references to 0xE8000065

http://discussions.a...=2088612&tstart=0

I'm trying it with a D-Link powered USB hub now. It seems to be doing something (~ 150 kB/s)- we'll see how it goes...

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Use a Mac.
it'll work much better.
New Read my mind.
It's been a busy day. Our new LG washer and dryer were delivered this afternoon, and I'm finally setting up my MacMini Server at the moment. :-)

It's been pretty painless so far, but I don't have much idea of what I'm doing - network-admin-wise. It's looking for updates now. Gotta figure out how to tell it our Windows Workgroup name (not "Workgroup")...

Once the Mini is configured, I'll try doing the iTunes Syncing to the iPad - as you say, I expect it'll be painless.

This Mini is amazing. It's a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM and includes OS X Server with unlimited client licenses. It was something like $750 (refurbished at Apple) plus tax and shipping. I've got it standing up on edge on a shelf with my monitor. It's tiny!

About $5 for a DVI cable to connect to my HP LP2475W (the Server comes with a HDMI to DVI adapter), a Logitech USB mouse, and a MB110LL/A aluminum keyboard and it's good to go.

More later.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Read my mind.
My 1st mac was a mini and I loved it
it had the G4 chip
Let me know hoe the mini server is
I think you will like it

New TheReg review of MacMini Server.
http://www.reghardwa...mini_server_2010/

I like it. My earlier complaints about fiddling with CUPS to configure remote access to the attached printer was before I discovered "Server Admin". As you might suspect, just about everything can be done via the GUI tools without messing with CUPS and the like directly.

It's a quick, nearly silent, and unobtrusive little box that consumes hardly any power (compared to my previous dual-core Opteron box). It's hard to beat the features, especially for the price I paid ($850+ shipping and tax for a refurb from Apple).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks
I've just recommended it.
New Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page
The fact that it only has 256MB of ram really shows up with Safari. I haven't had any trouble with pages not rendering yet, but if you have more than a few pages on the Safari screen, then when you switch between them a refresh is triggered.

E.g. You start a reply here, but want to check something with Google. You start up a Google session, get the info you need, return to the posting screen and watch your composition get wiped by the refresh. :-(

Some have said if you only have 2 or so sites active then it doesn't do the refresh. I dunno the limit for sure...

This is why Apps should be better than unoptimized web pages - the footprint should be smaller and there should be less download traffic.

It's still an amazing gizmo.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Posted with iPad.)
New Re: Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page
That may change with the ISO 4.2 up date in NOV

New I think this might be partly Webkit's fault.
I've noticed both in Chrome and the Android browser that it will take almost any excuse to refresh the page.

Wade.

Stand-alone iPad usage via 3G? Bman? - (Another Scott) - (26)
         Dunno about iPads... - (malraux) - (1)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         Re: Stand-alone iPad usage via 3G? Bman? - (Bman) - (1)
             Thanks. I appreciate it. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Go here for ipad manual - (Bman)
         Is 2GB/month too limiting? - (Another Scott)
         I don't know - (Bman) - (5)
             It's not hard, but it's another bill and ... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 You've got an uphill battle. - (static) - (3)
                     Tell me about it. :-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Put Linux on the Laptop. - (folkert) - (1)
                             :-) - (Another Scott)
         Ok, let's try this - (Bman) - (13)
             It's tempting. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                 Finally did the iPad unboxing. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                     Re: Finally did the iPad unboxing. - (Bman) - (1)
                         Thoughts on charging. - (static)
                     First annoyance - Hangs on syncing with my XP laptop. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                         Use a Mac. - (folkert) - (4)
                             Read my mind. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Re: Read my mind. - (Bman) - (2)
                                     TheReg review of MacMini Server. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Thanks - (crazy)
                     Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Re: Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page - (Bman)
                         I think this might be partly Webkit's fault. - (static)

Not available in stores!
378 ms