IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's tempting.
I just got a Mac Mini Server so I'm aware they're good boxes. (I haven't set it up yet.) I don't think it would be a good fit for her, though. As I said to Greg above, I'll try the iPad and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out for her, I can use it, and I'll cross the next bridge as it happens.

Thanks.

Best of luck with your Mom!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Finally did the iPad unboxing.
I got the 32GB WiFi + 3G model a few weeks ago and finally found the time to set it up.

It's an amazing little box.

I have it in an Otterbox Commuter case which seems pretty good. Putting the screen protector on wasn't too difficult.

Of course, I had to install the latest iTunes on my XP laptop - that took half of forever. Registration of the iPad was fairly painless. I downloaded several free apps.

Setting up WiFi was trivial. It connects and runs well with our home network.

I had to Sync again for the downloaded apps to install, and it took a while. Osmos is very neat - it's a physics-based inelastic collision game where you're a cell.

So far, I'm very impressed. One annoyance is that it doesn't charge through my laptop's USB port - I have to use the charging adapter and the USB cable (dunno if that's the way it always works or if I've got weak ports).

Now to figure out how to set it up so that my mom doesn't drain my credit card by downloading half the internet, and to decide when to start the 3G service... :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Finally did the iPad unboxing.
Great!!
Your mom will love it
I love mine
you can not charge it with a laptop
it takes more to charge then an ipod
use the wall charger
video uses the most power
just playing on the web the power will last for days
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Thoughts on charging.
There was an article a few months ago about a little company who figured out how to make their battery-powered emergency USB charger work on iPods. And then again on newer iPods. And then again on even newer iPods.

Turns out Apple are playing somewhat with the USB electrical current rules and use specific resisters across the datalines in their charging things to tell the iDevice when it can take its (usually) motza charging current. That's why it won't charge on a laptop: it's made so it can't.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New First annoyance - Hangs on syncing with my XP laptop.
I bought a movie and a music video and some other stuff, then tried to sync it. It trundled for a while, but there was no disk activity. Then it gave up with an error popup with lots of references to 0xE8000065

http://discussions.a...=2088612&tstart=0

I'm trying it with a D-Link powered USB hub now. It seems to be doing something (~ 150 kB/s)- we'll see how it goes...

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Use a Mac.
it'll work much better.
New Read my mind.
It's been a busy day. Our new LG washer and dryer were delivered this afternoon, and I'm finally setting up my MacMini Server at the moment. :-)

It's been pretty painless so far, but I don't have much idea of what I'm doing - network-admin-wise. It's looking for updates now. Gotta figure out how to tell it our Windows Workgroup name (not "Workgroup")...

Once the Mini is configured, I'll try doing the iTunes Syncing to the iPad - as you say, I expect it'll be painless.

This Mini is amazing. It's a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM and includes OS X Server with unlimited client licenses. It was something like $750 (refurbished at Apple) plus tax and shipping. I've got it standing up on edge on a shelf with my monitor. It's tiny!

About $5 for a DVI cable to connect to my HP LP2475W (the Server comes with a HDMI to DVI adapter), a Logitech USB mouse, and a MB110LL/A aluminum keyboard and it's good to go.

More later.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Read my mind.
My 1st mac was a mini and I loved it
it had the G4 chip
Let me know hoe the mini server is
I think you will like it

"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
New TheReg review of MacMini Server.
http://www.reghardwa...mini_server_2010/

I like it. My earlier complaints about fiddling with CUPS to configure remote access to the attached printer was before I discovered "Server Admin". As you might suspect, just about everything can be done via the GUI tools without messing with CUPS and the like directly.

It's a quick, nearly silent, and unobtrusive little box that consumes hardly any power (compared to my previous dual-core Opteron box). It's hard to beat the features, especially for the price I paid ($850+ shipping and tax for a refurb from Apple).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks
I've just recommended it.
New Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page
The fact that it only has 256MB of ram really shows up with Safari. I haven't had any trouble with pages not rendering yet, but if you have more than a few pages on the Safari screen, then when you switch between them a refresh is triggered.

E.g. You start a reply here, but want to check something with Google. You start up a Google session, get the info you need, return to the posting screen and watch your composition get wiped by the refresh. :-(

Some have said if you only have 2 or so sites active then it doesn't do the refresh. I dunno the limit for sure...

This is why Apps should be better than unoptimized web pages - the footprint should be smaller and there should be less download traffic.

It's still an amazing gizmo.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Posted with iPad.)
New Re: Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page
That may change with the ISO 4.2 up date in NOV

New I think this might be partly Webkit's fault.
I've noticed both in Chrome and the Android browser that it will take almost any excuse to refresh the page.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Stand-alone iPad usage via 3G? Bman? - (Another Scott) - (26)
         Dunno about iPads... - (malraux) - (1)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         Re: Stand-alone iPad usage via 3G? Bman? - (Bman) - (1)
             Thanks. I appreciate it. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Go here for ipad manual - (Bman)
         Is 2GB/month too limiting? - (Another Scott)
         I don't know - (Bman) - (5)
             It's not hard, but it's another bill and ... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 You've got an uphill battle. - (static) - (3)
                     Tell me about it. :-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Put Linux on the Laptop. - (folkert) - (1)
                             :-) - (Another Scott)
         Ok, let's try this - (Bman) - (13)
             It's tempting. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                 Finally did the iPad unboxing. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                     Re: Finally did the iPad unboxing. - (Bman) - (1)
                         Thoughts on charging. - (static)
                     First annoyance - Hangs on syncing with my XP laptop. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                         Use a Mac. - (folkert) - (4)
                             Read my mind. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Re: Read my mind. - (Bman) - (2)
                                     TheReg review of MacMini Server. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Thanks - (crazy)
                     Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Re: Second annoyance - Refreshes on returning to Safari page - (Bman)
                         I think this might be partly Webkit's fault. - (static)

The thing about the explosive diarrhea excuse is you can really only use it once.
143 ms