IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On #1, I don't think it's quite so clear.
http://www.aerospace...tions/q0277.shtml

Another avenue that has intrigued investigators is the Hindenburg's skin. This subject is of particular interest to a former NASA employee named Addison Bain who believes the hydrogen gas aboard the airship is not to blame for the cause of the fire or its rapid spread. He instead believes the outer skin of the airship first ignited and the hydrogen would never have burned if the skin hadn't already done so. This flammable fabric theory is based on the Hindenburg's skin coating that consisted of iron oxide and aluminum-impregnated cellulose acetate butyrate dope. The doping material is known to be a flammable substance, and iron oxide also energetically reacts with aluminum powder. Since iron oxide is mixed with aluminum to create the explosive substance thermite and aluminum powder is often used to boost the performance of solid rocket motors, proponents of the flammable fabric theory frequently exaggerate by stating the Hindenburg was "coated in rocket fuel."

Evidence supporting the fabric theory is the Hindenburg remaining in level flight for several seconds after the fire began. If one of the hydrogen cells had ruptured due to a gas fire, supporters of the theory argue the ship would have started to tilt towards the ground almost immediately. If the fire were constrained to the skin, however, the cells would have remained intact much longer and kept Hindenburg airborne. Proponents also suggest Zeppelin engineers realized the danger of the skin coating after the disaster and secretly changed its composition on the Graf Zeppelin II. The new coating was said to include a fireproofing agent plus the aluminum was replaced with the less combustible metal bronze.

Nevertheless, more recent research conducted at the University of Colorado has contradicted this theory and found the airship's skin could not have been responsible for the fire's rapid spread. This theoretical and experimental research suggests that even if Hindenburg had been coated in actual solid rocket fuel, it would have taken at least 12 hours to burn in the absence of hydrogen. Experiments with recreations of the ship's skin have also found it would have taken some 40 hours for the Hindenburg to be consumed if the fabric had caused the fire. These finding led the researchers to conclude that although the Hindenburg's skin was combustible, it was not flammable.

Given the inability of investigators to conclusively determine why the Hindenburg crashed, it is not surprising so many theories to explain its destruction have emerged. Even so, the static spark theory is still considered the most likely since it is the best corroborated by the wreckage, video and photo evidence, and eyewitness reports. This evidence and academic research also supports the belief that the ship's hydrogen gas was ignited by static discharge and not the skin. The hydrogen burned explosively and rapidly spread the flames forward throughout the ship, and the skin only burned as a result of this intense fire.

The Colorado pages are here - http://spot.colorado.../zf/LZ129fire.htm

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Lovely illustration of a tragedy --
a theory killed with a fact (or, several.)

The dynamics of SRB-booster burning is illuminating </pun>
And the explanation of the non-thermite-like composition and especially, non-uniform admixture sans a decent oxidizer, in the H. application -- pretty much suffices to discredit the entire Bain conjecture.
(Think I used a different perchlorate to make thermite, not that it matters.) And ya can't argue with Joules when speaking of energy transfers for whatever aim. The 'mantle' point re illumination is equally incisive, re. masking of the oft-dim spectral output of common (pure) flammable gases; as in Duh.

I had presumed.. that Bain had done all the basic physics calcs (as a 1 hour program had no time to list, for a general audience.) Bad moi, ass-uming.. thus, guilty of Murican-level sloth :-/
(Hell, probably lots of folks at PBS are as innumerate as the average.)

Maybe the Challenger deaths-via-O-ring Idiocy was not so rare an oversight at NASA.
Took someone from <cough> The Institute to apply that rigor which makes -mortis so familiar a term.

Thanks -- Dessler/Colo. link belongs in Snopes IMhO.
Be curious to see what your search string was, to nail this fine rebuttal.
It's so much more fun than the neutralizing of some tea-party babble / of which there is So Much, now.

New No special search string.
I'd heard years ago about the aluminized paint causing the disaster, and it sounded sort-of plausible (but then again there was always the subsequent nagging feeling: the Germans have a reputation for being very careful about technical things, so it seemed rather ridiculous that they would really use a highly flammable paint), but then more recently heard that it had been debunked. I checked Snopes and didn't see anything.

So I just searched for "Hindenburg" and followed some links at Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia....LZ_129_Hindenburg (specifically reference #46).

It's easy when Wikipedia has the important sources already. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Looks like "perfect storm"
I've seen the demos that explain why it wasn't (just) the hydrogen. I've seen the demos (including Mythbusters) that explain why it wasn't (just) the paint.

It seems reasonable that either one without the other wouldn't account for what we saw. Why have I not seen anyone talking about whether it was the combination of the two that did it? All the demos seem intent on demonstrating either, "It was the paint, not the hydrogen," or, "It was the hydrogen, not the paint."

Guys? They had both of those things together. And it did burn. Q. E. fucking D.
--

Drew
New Think that was implicitly covered
in the comments from Colo. about the radiant heat from the hydrogen combustion (implicitly: accelerating the burning of the oxidizer-bereft 'thermite' coating.)
But, agree that -- in the spirit of the pseudo-science of adversarial law? -- they're going for an either/or digital-think "Win!". Fie on academicians, seduced by such stuff..

Further, since there is no hypothesis [either] for the etiology (process-in-detail) via which the internal hydrogen cells + ambient air got ignited, only presumably.. via those "low-Joule" electrostatic sparks
-- it might just as well have been because of a cigarette-pack-size infernal device du jour. As in one of the movie versions.

So then: WTF killed the Hindenburg?
(Perhaps Ctulhu was aggravated by Herr Hitler's massive Nasty-god hubris, and decided to give him a sample of a er, Real-god nasty hubris?) Could. be.

In the corrected-history file - (Ashton) - (6)
         Mythbusters looked at the Hindenburg, too. - (static)
         On #1, I don't think it's quite so clear. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Lovely illustration of a tragedy -- - (Ashton) - (1)
                 No special search string. - (Another Scott)
             Looks like "perfect storm" - (drook) - (1)
                 Think that was implicitly covered - (Ashton)

Listeners, the City Council, for national security reasons, have replaced the following report with the sound of a burbling brook, followed by the sound of a running blender.
83 ms