IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Im glad you know so much about it
Heard en passant today..

BP has fired [precise number: 'oodles'] of competent engineers. This was a knowledgeable Brit with [oodles of years'] experience of OIl logistics and practice. BP has been outsourcing [what was that phrase, core competency?] in recent years to maximize profits -- and it did maximize profits.

Give a Tektronix scope / blow-out-preventer to a Hottentot and s/he will pound sand with it.

Your simile fails.

Ed: And another engineer chimes in, probably one of hundreds by now:
http://www.salon.com...source=newsletter

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
Expand Edited by Ashton June 2, 2010, 01:34:03 AM EDT
New I'll be amazed if they can shut it down in August.
All the reports thus far say the relief well will be able to plug the well "in August". That was from the "90 days" number given early on - meaning early August (if they started drilling in early May). BP seemed to be hedging on that date recently - saying "by the end of August" IIRC.

Your Salon piece closes with: "A recent blow-out off the coast of Australia required five pressure relief wells to successfully shut it down."

I also recall the Ixtoc I. I recently read that the company down there (also a Transocean job?) tried all the same things that are being tried on the Deepwater Horizon well and only a relief well worked. It took 290 days (9+ months). And it was only in 160 feet of water (rather than 5000+), so they didn't have to worry about methane clathrates and the other joys of working with deep oil and gas mixtures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I

Why should we be confident that the blowout will be plugged in August? Even if they don't have to shut operations down due to tropical storms (which seems unlikely)?

:-(

BP and the Feds should be assuming and planning for the worst. Supposedly the US is, but there doesn't seem to be the kind of public massive mobilization that one might expect. I'm not advocating PR for the sake of PR, but genuine efforts to do all that we can.

The ROV seems to be messing with the containment box (?) this morning. Maybe we'll be lucky and that will work reasonably well...

http://www.bp.com/li...l/rov_stream.html

:-(

Cheers,
Scott.
     The N-word re Big Dumb Oil ??? - (Ashton) - (13)
         I dont own any oil stocks - (boxley) - (12)
             You saying BP's executives understand the equipment? - (drook) - (9)
                 most do understand the equipment at least a couple of veeps - (boxley) - (8)
                     Oh, so they just don't *care* about warnings - (drook) - (1)
                         Re: Oh, so they just don't *care* about warnings - (boxley)
                     No, evidence is: They Don't Understand the basics. Veep nor - (Ashton) - (5)
                         Im glad you know so much about it - (boxley) - (4)
                             I know how to use a hammer, but can't build a house - (drook) - (1)
                                 and I said that from the get go - (boxley)
                             Re: Im glad you know so much about it - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 I'll be amazed if they can shut it down in August. - (Another Scott)
             No, they are "stationalized" - (crazy) - (1)
                 how is gummint motors doing? - (boxley)

Like going to ELIZA for therapy...
44 ms