IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The N-word re Big Dumb Oil ???
http://www.salon.com...source=newsletter

Have fun, Billn'Beep -- imagine! a gummint takeover!1!!!11
-- (as-if Any ... ad-hoc? group of 7 random homo-saps could manage poorer prep, more bogus 'backup' and stupid-er overall performance) than this Giant of Free-FREE 'enterprise'-think has already managed.

Love. It. Deterioration Theatre, First-Class.

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
New I dont own any oil stocks
but who is gonna run it? Give it to the enviro folks, what they dont shut down will be spilling all over the tundra because they dont understand the equipment. Clue by 4. Most of the oil is already nationalized, we lease fields out to oil companies in exchange for a share of the profits. All the alaska oil is done that way and all offshore is also done that way.So what is going to be different. Government Unions for oil workers Im all for that.
New You saying BP's executives understand the equipment?
Executives decide the "what". Production employees determine the "how".
--

Drew
New most do understand the equipment at least a couple of veeps
I have met do. There might be a bean counter or two but the ops staff up to the chairman have been on a rig floor.
New Oh, so they just don't *care* about warnings
That makes it okay, then.
--

Drew
New Re: Oh, so they just don't *care* about warnings
works for geitner and obama doesnt it?
New No, evidence is: They Don't Understand the basics. Veep nor
anyone else with the power to insist upon sane operations: from rig floor to Armani-Suit, all pretending to know shit.

Even *I* comprehend what 'fail-safe' means.. theoretically and actually aka: cost/benefit for the correct level of Practical that satisfies Worst-Case scenarios. (I have shut down an accelerator and cleared a building: on basis of a merely eyeballed 'oddity' on a target full of LH2, etc. etc.)

The already released scuttlebutt points to a control system for the guillotine device which is not merely poorly-engineered but patently Unacceptable. Monitoring of such things as the hydraulics integrity, periodic "test arming" of all systems, clear permissions for all these matters: all absent. Routinely so. There's more but this alone is Enough to demonstrate a clear System FAIL.

It's the oil corp. equivalent of the Las Vegas financial FAIL. More data, in time -- can only be worse than what is already 'leaking' out. Screw your veeps: they tolerated this crap all along.

Ed: http://www.salon.com...this_modern_world

Expand Edited by Ashton May 30, 2010, 03:33:43 AM EDT
New Im glad you know so much about it
since they were using the same equipment that every other drilling company in the world uses, and you KNOW that it is patently unable to work, throw us a couple of bucks after you make a pile correcting them will ya?
New I know how to use a hammer, but can't build a house
Just because you know the equipment doesn't mean you can use it properly. If this -- http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6493 -- is right, the well plan was wrong. And it's wrong in the same way lots of well plans are probably wrong. But ...
Similar or identical plans were undoubtedly approved and used by many operators on other wells drilled in the Gulf of Mexico. A plan that does not include enough cement to overlap the final and previous casing strings, and that does not require running a cement-bond log to ensure the integrity of the seal is a defective plan. The fact that there have not been blowouts on previous wells does not justify the approval and use of an unsafe plan.
--

Drew
New and I said that from the get go
using seawater to replace drilling mud at that depth is wrong, the folks who made the decision own that decision.
New Re: Im glad you know so much about it
Heard en passant today..

BP has fired [precise number: 'oodles'] of competent engineers. This was a knowledgeable Brit with [oodles of years'] experience of OIl logistics and practice. BP has been outsourcing [what was that phrase, core competency?] in recent years to maximize profits -- and it did maximize profits.

Give a Tektronix scope / blow-out-preventer to a Hottentot and s/he will pound sand with it.

Your simile fails.

Ed: And another engineer chimes in, probably one of hundreds by now:
http://www.salon.com...source=newsletter

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
Expand Edited by Ashton June 2, 2010, 01:34:03 AM EDT
New I'll be amazed if they can shut it down in August.
All the reports thus far say the relief well will be able to plug the well "in August". That was from the "90 days" number given early on - meaning early August (if they started drilling in early May). BP seemed to be hedging on that date recently - saying "by the end of August" IIRC.

Your Salon piece closes with: "A recent blow-out off the coast of Australia required five pressure relief wells to successfully shut it down."

I also recall the Ixtoc I. I recently read that the company down there (also a Transocean job?) tried all the same things that are being tried on the Deepwater Horizon well and only a relief well worked. It took 290 days (9+ months). And it was only in 160 feet of water (rather than 5000+), so they didn't have to worry about methane clathrates and the other joys of working with deep oil and gas mixtures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I

Why should we be confident that the blowout will be plugged in August? Even if they don't have to shut operations down due to tropical storms (which seems unlikely)?

:-(

BP and the Feds should be assuming and planning for the worst. Supposedly the US is, but there doesn't seem to be the kind of public massive mobilization that one might expect. I'm not advocating PR for the sake of PR, but genuine efforts to do all that we can.

The ROV seems to be messing with the containment box (?) this morning. Maybe we'll be lucky and that will work reasonably well...

http://www.bp.com/li...l/rov_stream.html

:-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New No, they are "stationalized"
I couldn't come up with a by for nationalization by a US state.

Alaska gets that oil money, the feds don't. Well, maybe they do, but I sure as hell don't see a check the way Alaska residents do.

This is like the health care debate. How much damage can people with short term profit motive do (insurance/oil companies) VS the risk of the unknown people who would be running it next.

I'd rather have them increase the possible fines for this type of disaster. To the level of nationalizing BP. Now. They are not a US company, so it has to be done piecemeal. Whatever assets we can get, we do. Make it a political goal to fuck them over in their dealings with every other country. Drive the fuckers into the ground on all sides of the world if they refuse to pay for the damages done.

Anything they did in the US becomes the start of FOCUS. Let it be a startup oil company with a goal of competing with the other ones.

Looks a lot like GM, right?

Let it be a warning if the other guys

New how is gummint motors doing?
http://www.api.org/p...n/development.cfm
yes, we should recover every dime we can from BP
     The N-word re Big Dumb Oil ??? - (Ashton) - (13)
         I dont own any oil stocks - (boxley) - (12)
             You saying BP's executives understand the equipment? - (drook) - (9)
                 most do understand the equipment at least a couple of veeps - (boxley) - (8)
                     Oh, so they just don't *care* about warnings - (drook) - (1)
                         Re: Oh, so they just don't *care* about warnings - (boxley)
                     No, evidence is: They Don't Understand the basics. Veep nor - (Ashton) - (5)
                         Im glad you know so much about it - (boxley) - (4)
                             I know how to use a hammer, but can't build a house - (drook) - (1)
                                 and I said that from the get go - (boxley)
                             Re: Im glad you know so much about it - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 I'll be amazed if they can shut it down in August. - (Another Scott)
             No, they are "stationalized" - (crazy) - (1)
                 how is gummint motors doing? - (boxley)

I bet Socrates had a really nice lawn.
97 ms