IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New More on the Lib/Lab coalition
Brown's head, and probably that of Alistair Darling, would almost certainly be the price of any such coalition.

This is problematic for a couple of reasons; firstly, Brown can't resign because (for various reasons of tradition) that would be extremely discourteous to the Queen (yeah, go figure; it makes little sense to me). If he's ousted, the alternatives are Harriet Harman, David Miliband, Ed Balls and Alan Johnson. You know both ends of the stick are shitty when I tell you that each of these people is less popular than Gordon Brown. In particular, Ed Balls is a well-loathed figure in British politics, but the ruthlessness and scheming for which he is loathed makes him a very serious contender for the job.

So we arrive at a coalition with another PM who didn't lead his party to an election victory, with a wafer-thin majority (Lib/Lab is 315, Con have 306 seats; the DUP will reliably side with the Conservatives (8 seats) and the other 20-odd independents and minor parties will go where the hell they like). The Conservatives will muller all but the least contentious legislation, and I don't reckon we'd get as far as September before the PM would have to go to the country or face a VONC.

Edit: Tidied up the numbers
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 9, 2010, 01:59:01 PM EDT
New "a well-loathed figure"
In that case, I think Francis Urquhart would be the perfect man for the job.

cordially,
New I could not possibly comment on that..

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
     It's Election Day in the UK - (pwhysall) - (32)
         I can't see a Con-Lib coalition - (warmachine) - (3)
             I can. - (pwhysall)
             could you explain proportional representation? - (boxley) - (1)
                 No, we're FPTP -NT - (pwhysall)
         Oh dear. - (static)
         Looks like Labour did better than the polls predicted. - (Another Scott)
         Lib Dems get the offer - (malraux) - (25)
             And the negotiating games begin - (jay) - (24)
                 Didn't Clegg tie his own hands? - (Another Scott) - (22)
                     Easy. - (pwhysall) - (21)
                         More on the Lib/Lab coalition - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             "a well-loathed figure" - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                 I could not possibly comment on that.. -NT - (Ashton)
                         Except his party would block a Con-Lib coalition - (warmachine) - (17)
                             I think you're underestimating the LIB thirst for power. - (pwhysall) - (16)
                                 He will probably try - (jay)
                                 Citation needed - (warmachine) - (14)
                                     Re: Citation needed - (pwhysall) - (13)
                                         No explicit rejection of coalition with minority parties - (warmachine) - (12)
                                             Well, it's anyone's guess now. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                 Well Britain *does* have the Monster Raving Loony Party... -NT - (static)
                                                 britain has discovered the israeli method of government :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                                 Aaaaand the LIB/CON love-in is back on. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                     It's over. Brown's out. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                         It's probably too early to say "I told you so", but... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                         It looks like he got the big concession - (jay) - (4)
                                                             Nah. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                 It wouldn't surprise me - (jay)
                                                             I'd have never believed that would ever happen - (warmachine)
                                                             That sounds like`Instant Run-Off. - (static)
                 Gordon Brown takes the necissary step - (jay)

Tracers work both ways.
88 ms