IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It wasn't the iMac Jobs was famous for . . .
. . it was the NeXT - and the lack of a floppy was a major reason for its failure.

His engineers begged him to allow a floppy, but he refused - until near the end he had the "Insanely Great" idea of putting in a floppy, but by then it was too late.

The problem was: at the time a writable CD cost about $40. If a software vendor had a 3 byte bug fix to distribute, that was $40 for every user of the software (the Internet was not yet widely used).

And $40 was a lot more money then than it is now.

"Insanely Great" my ass!
New I don't think the original NeXT had a CD-ROM
It used a 256MB magneto-optical drive. The idea was that you could have your entire operating environment in a cartridge that would fit in a jacket pocket. Sit down to a NeXT Cube at a remote location, insert your M/O drive, and it would be as though you were back at your personal workstation.

At one time (back when CD-ROMs were about five bucks apiece) I thought that Fujitsu's 650MB M/O disks (about the size of a Sony floppy, but twice as thick) were the bee's knees. I've still got about twenty of them in their original cellophane, and two external drives—SCSI, alas!—here at the Harrison Street Museum of Senescent Technology.

cordially,
New correct
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
New I'm sure you're right . . .
. . but the cost was still way to high for many uses.
     Sic transit gloria floppi - (rcareaga) - (13)
         didnt have one on the NeXt either -NT - (boxley)
         I remember when HP wanted $70 for a box of 10. - (Another Scott)
         It wasn't the iMac Jobs was famous for . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             I don't think the original NeXT had a CD-ROM - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 correct -NT - (boxley)
                 I'm sure you're right . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: Sic transit gloria floppi - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Re: Sic transit gloria floppi - (lincoln)
         And the world moves on... - (static) - (2)
             Completely OT... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Indeed, Its cutesiness is at Beastware baby-babble level. -NT - (Ashton)
         That was a bargain! - (Ashton) - (1)
             Putting things inside of other things - (altmann)

And Bob's your uncle...
48 ms