IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Secrets of the Nexus One's screen
http://arstechnica.c...or-and-hacks.ars/

That's a rather odd screen design - each pixel is missing either Red or Blue. Per their calculations the 480x800 display is really comparable to a 392x653 display.
New What a treat --
to read a technically ept essay, free of dogmatic undertones and artfully edited so as not to become tedious via presenting just too-many gratuitous arcane details.
Another essay which makes clear(er) just how difficult ever it IS: to assess any One part of the "seeing images/text" neural process
-- without addressing the rest of the chain (or at least referencing same for the studious.)

Nice find.

I still recall first viewing of the (then miniaturized! yet 18# !!) Sony 5" Trinitron Tee Vee.
The brain, seeing the small image (a phenom I noticed anew on being amazed at the apparent-clarity of a cel-fone image)
-- seemed to do something like it does when seeing a magnified Kodachrome slide, with its silky, non-pixelized dye base
== the resolution Looks quite better than the dot-count would suggest.

(I have one of these now, a second one for me: bought for $25 from a clueless local 'computer' shop. They cost ~$400, when that was real money.
'Course now it's museum-stuff, yet still amazes with NTSC, whether actually or via digi-box du jour.) Has to be 30 yrs. old and still 'boots'.
The Sony that ... Once WAS.

New Interesting. Thanks.
One wonders if the feds are going to have to step in to enforce some standards on descriptions of these things, though....

"Yes, it has a 480x800 screen [1], 64 GB of storage [2], with 10 hours battery life [3], only weighs 200 grams [4], and you'll like it or your money back [5]...

[1] equivalent addressable pixels, actual display resolution may be lower
[2] 2 GB volatile storage available to user
[3] in hibernate mode
[4] without battery
[5] subject to accelerated pro-rated depreciation charges
..."

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Eeh, the cheeky monkeys.
Haven't seen an N1 in the flesh yet, but I'm sure one of the office gadget freaks will turn up with one before long.

My Storm2's screen is great at its actual resolution of 480x360.

And sharp as a razor.
New They're pushing the limits.
For those who may recall, the actual colour resolution of an NTSC or PAL video signal is considerably lower than the actual resolution. And this was deliberately done because of known behaviour of the eye. So they did a similar trick to a smartphone screen. Unfortunately, someone forgot that the one key thing a video image is bad at is sharp, crisp text. Oops.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New They're pushing the limits.
For those who may recall, the actual colour resolution of an NTSC or PAL video signal is considerably lower than the actual resolution. And this was deliberately done because of known behaviour of the eye. So they did a similar trick to a smartphone screen. Unfortunately, someone forgot that the one key thing a video image is bad at is sharp, crisp text. Oops.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Secrets of the Nexus One's screen - (SpiceWare) - (5)
         What a treat -- - (Ashton)
         Interesting. Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         Eeh, the cheeky monkeys. - (pwhysall)
         They're pushing the limits. - (static)
         They're pushing the limits. - (static)

5000 years from now, they'll all be mystified and have their tourist pics snapped in front of it.
39 ms