As another resident of the DC area, I guess I'd better throw in a couple of pennies. As with most things, it all depends upon the part of the elephant you're looking at.

I live just west of Manassas. I used to commute to Reston (too expensive to live there), and if I left early enough (6 a.m.), I could usually get there in about a half hour. They moved us downtown D.C., though. Now, I take the train (the station is about 10-15 minutes from where I live, and the train stops a couple of blocks from where I work). The train ride is about an hour.

Having lived in Washington and Oregon (born and raised there), Utah, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, I'd have to say that northern Virginia has better weather than the others (this winter, we've had a *really* mild winter). The traffic is terrible, but you tend to work around it (driver earlier, take mass transit, etc.). There's still lots of traffic...guess you get used to it (yes, I'm a terrible driver).

There's lots to do that's available from mass transit (Smithsonian, etc.). That's definitely a big plus. Housing is *very* expensive, though not a far cry from other metropolis areas (certainly not as bad as some in CA). But, outside of housing, the prices are comparable to other places.

I actually enjoy living here (I certainly don't like the traffic, and it's only going to get worse, but I try to avoid it as much as I can...I don't (refuse) to drive in downtown D.C.).

Dan