IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Netgear doesn't like Macs (nor Vista)
We have several white Netgear SOHO "internet routers" (RP614-ish, 4 port switch + uplink, no wireless, DHCP server) at work for public access. They absolutely refuse to hand out IP addresses to MacBooks. They respond to Windows, but several newer Vista machines then don't like the answers and drop the packets.

I've been replacing them with equivalent Linksys gear. So far, everything is working again. The ones we have are compatible with the DD-WRT replacement firmware. Amazing what one of those little boxes can do once you put a decent OS on it... (I particularly like the WiViz wireless proximity monitor.)

Model numbers on these things mean very little. E.g. up to v6 you get a Broadcom chipset with plenty of Flash RAM, and tjhen v7 has a cheap knock-off set with just enough memory to turn on the power light. It pretty much is a crapshoot.

New Never mind Macs . . .
. . I encountered a case where a Netgear wouldn't even connect to an IBM Thinkpad. The guy I was setting up wouldn't allow me to talk to the guy he was renting the office from so I had to set him up pirating off a nearby Linksys.
New That's a good point re: Vista.
There is something slightly funky in how Vista does DHCP as a client and thus it refuses to acknowledge the NetGear response. My (ex) mother-in-law had this problem with her daughter's PC. I was going to try to do a firmware upgrade, but wasn't confident of it working. The real solution was to replace the dodgy hardware, but she became an ex- before anything got done.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     I can has megabitburgerz, now! - (Ashton) - (20)
         congrats - (boxley)
         Woot! Welcome aboard! -NT - (Another Scott)
         Finally off of that gravel backroad - (beepster)
         Not pleased with Comcast lately - (malraux) - (2)
             Re: Not pleased with Comcast lately (Still) - (folkert) - (1)
                 Re: Not pleased with Comcast lately (Still) - (SpiceWare)
         Welcome... - (static)
         I, on the other hand, have the Verizon "air card" in the - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             I have one of those as well. - (folkert)
         Router suggestions? - (Ashton) - (10)
             Linksys, D-Link, Belkin. - (static)
             Maybe try a different firmware version? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Illuminating - (Ashton)
             Linksys ... - (folkert)
             My experience is limited . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Thanks again; consensus seems to be Linksys - (Ashton) - (1)
                 I've had a Linksys BEFSR41 router - (lincoln)
             Netgear doesn't like Macs (nor Vista) - (scoenye) - (2)
                 Never mind Macs . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 That's a good point re: Vista. - (static)

Just to be fair, there's no evidence he actually knows what happened in the 1800's.
48 ms