IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Safari 4 Public Beta
Apple announced a public beta of Safari 4 today with the "Nitro" engine that runs JavaScript 4.2 times faster than Safari 3.

http://www.apple.com/safari/
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New So far so good-enough
Using it now - will take a while to get used to the new tab arrangement, but the better use of screen real-estate is welcome. I think Top Sites is a gimmick I'll press a few more times for novelty, but then forget about.

So, not so much 'wow', but more 'yeah why not'.
They said I was gullible ... and I believed them
New Does it allow multi-tabs as home pages?
FF has had that feature for years. I have 5 tabs set as my homepage(s) in that browser. I know that there are Applescript workarounds and such that mimic it, but I haven't looked up how to do those...Therefore, I must not be that interested in finding the workaround. Would like to see it supported out-of-the-box.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New I guess Top Sites sorta-kinda does it ... ish... a bit...
New Re: Safari 4 Public Beta
Only thing i liked was the top sites
still using firefox
got speed dial add-on same as top sites
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Right.
It's great. It's fast as fook and I like the suggesty-wossname urlbar thing. The Top Sites thing is kewl and CoverFlow really does work for history.

However. I don't like the tabs on top and I want my reload button back where it was.

thor:~ peter$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool no
thor:~ peter$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeToolbarRedesign -bool NO
thor:~ peter$ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4LoadProgressStyle -bool NO

Job done.

All this, and you get the spell-o-tron and grammar-o-matic and all the other Good Stuff that OS X Text Areas have, and Firefox text boxes don't.
New Hmmm, I have...
what you term: spell-o-tron and grammar-o-matic in Firefox (Iceweasel) with out any add-ons related to that.

I can even change the locale for it to that funky en_GB iffin I want. Lotsa bright work in FireFox now a day... if you look in the boot or under the bonnet. Even the en_AU locale is available, mate. Throw that on the barby.

Don't worry, Canada-istan locale (en_CA) is available to, Eh?.
New FF/IW has a spell-o-tron, but not a grammar-o-matic.
Replying in the Iceweasel that comes with Lenny, and there's no option to turn on grammar checking.

There doesn't seem to be an add-on for such, either.
New Heh for en_AU it would (should) have said 'barbie' :)
New Re: Heh for en_AU it would (should) have said 'barbie' :)
Ahhh so much for being glib.

It highlighted it anyway as I didn't really change the locale... just made sure yewda get a chuckle out of it.
New Excellent! I share your country's decision to
find every example of that cloying Doll ... and make a huge pyre.
(Here.. we just have an annual ritual of Burning some Men, out in the desert.. but that also creates a lot of pollution and offensive smells.)

Burn Barbie, Burn!

[/Gilda Radner ... never mind]
[RIP]

New Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's unrelated.
The outdoor cooking appliance is called a "barbecue"*; which Aussies simply shortened over time to "barbie". The word even featured in a famous Tourism Australia TV ad some decades ago featuring one Paul Hogan. The name of the girls' fashion doll is merely a coincidence.

Wade.

* And I *know* you USians know that. :-)

"Ah -- I take it the doorbell doesn't work?"
New Why yes.. yes it is a coincidence {cough} ;^>
Thought the Gilda Radner mention was a decent clue, but then I don't know if SNL (Saturday Night LIve, back when it was Good) -- got that far South. Her shtik was to misassociate an 'event', deliver a rant in sorta-high dudgeon / get corrected / reply: "never mind.." Funnier than this description.

Fine comic; died young :-/
Expand Edited by Ashton March 1, 2009, 03:47:18 AM EST
New Or you could do what I do.
I just spell good. :-)

(And I use Opera where I can move everything around, anyway.)

Wade.

"Ah -- I take it the doorbell doesn't work?"
New tabs-on-top was a dealbreaker
I was a few days late to the party, but the new tabs struck me as both ugly and impractical, and after a day I was ready to revert, speed, new features and eye candy be damned. Fortunately, as others have discovered, a couple of lines in the terminal.app made everything right. It occurs to me that if my browsing habits were not largely impeccable I would be inclined to kill CoverFlow and Top Sites, but as it is the odd spouse or visitor looking in will typically see merely a boring old screenful of news sites, tech sites and political blogs rather than a compendium of cycleslut.com "greatest hit" JPEGs. It's also good to have the old progress bar back rather than the uninformative grey gear, which always seems to have been spinning for an eternity even after a few seconds. I haven't restored the reload button, as it was a feature I seldom used, but it's nice to know that it too can be retrieved at need. Here's hoping that these functionalities are retained as options (maybe even on the preferences level?) when the program moves past "public beta."

cordially,
     Safari 4 Public Beta - (Bman) - (14)
         So far so good-enough - (Meerkat) - (2)
             Does it allow multi-tabs as home pages? - (mvitale) - (1)
                 I guess Top Sites sorta-kinda does it ... ish... a bit... -NT - (Meerkat)
         Re: Safari 4 Public Beta - (Bman)
         Right. - (pwhysall) - (9)
             Hmmm, I have... - (folkert) - (6)
                 FF/IW has a spell-o-tron, but not a grammar-o-matic. - (pwhysall)
                 Heh for en_AU it would (should) have said 'barbie' :) -NT - (Meerkat) - (4)
                     Re: Heh for en_AU it would (should) have said 'barbie' :) - (folkert)
                     Excellent! I share your country's decision to - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's unrelated. - (static) - (1)
                             Why yes.. yes it is a coincidence {cough} ;^> - (Ashton)
             Or you could do what I do. - (static)
             tabs-on-top was a dealbreaker - (rcareaga)

Ha Ha - just kidding. We're all Lumberjacks and We're OK!
95 ms