IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Your filters are not the universe's fault.
Just because you happen to be hopelessly mired in subjectivism doesn't mean there's no Truth. The universe is not bounded by the limitations of your intellect. Or anyone else's. There's plenty of Truth. You're just too stupid to see it.

You're trying to blame the universe for the consequences your own intellectual incompetence. As an inhabitant of the universe, I object.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Truth is that which is the case. Accept no substitutes.
If competence is considered "hubris" then may I and my country always be as "arrogant" as we can possibly manage.
New Your filters can't be removed. Only modified. Slightly.
Hi,

If we could get beyond the pithy phrases for a while... :-)

Let's consider your .sig:
Truth is that which is the case. Accept no substitutes.

Let's apply it to something concrete in human affairs:
"Terrorism is always wrong."

Is that statement something you'd regard as part of "The Truth"?

I'd say no, it's not part of "The Truth". Why do I say that? Because 1) How does one define Terrorism? 2) I don't believe in many absolutes in human affairs. 3) I regard The Truth as something unchanging and something without general applicability to human affairs.

What would you say?

Or if you don't like that example, please provide something specific application of your view of the Truth (from human affairs).

(Before I am condemned here (maybe too late! :-), I believe that terrorism is wrong and generally counter-productive. But one person's terrorist might be another person's freedom fighter. Were the colonists at Lexington and Concord terrorists in fighting to keep the British troops from taking their guns in 1775? I don't think so. But an argument can be made that they were for some definitions of terrorist.)

Until everyone agrees on the terms it's hard, IMHO, to declare that The Truth exists (in human affairs).

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Where did I lose you?
Your filters are not the universe's fault.
Well....... I guess that would depend upon how you view "the universe", wouldn't it?

Is it the fault of the rock that you cannot see the diamonds within?

You see, the human body has certain limitations. Trying to assign blame for these limitations is... well..... ummmmm...... How about.....

Fucking STUPID?!?

You think it is "the universe's" fault that you cannot perceive xrays?

Just because you happen to be hopelessly mired in subjectivism doesn't mean there's no Truth.
You're right. It doesn't. Or did you manage to miss my earlier explaation?

Reality is filtered through our senses and beliefs to yield our opinions.

Now, you're making the SAME MISTAKE that Drew did. Can't you even follow a simple process.

My >OPINION< is that there is no "Truth". Look at the statement two lines up. How can my >OPINION< influence anything above it? So, >NO<, just because >I< say there is no "Truth" does not mean there is no "Truth".

Because there is no "Truth" is what means there is no "Truth".

Just because >I< do not believe in the tooth fairey's house does not mean it doesn't exist. I would not exist even if I >DID< believe in it. Just as "The Truth" does NOT exist even though >YOU< would like to believe in it.

The universe is not bounded by the limitations of your intellect.
Well >DUH<. Or have you managed to skip or not comprehend the part where I pointed out that human senses are not capable of perceiving everything in the universe? Did you miss my example of xrays to Drew?

Ah.... or are you now going to go for the classic error of saying that because I don't know everything, that your fantasy is not a fantasy? Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Your fantasy is still a fantasy, whether I know everything or not.

There's plenty of Truth. You're just too stupid to see it.
Ah, sensai, perhaps you can then answer the question that you have been unable to answer before. What is "The Truth" about people?

You see, you can make any claim you want, but if you can't cough up something THAT WORKS (now, where did I see that claim before) then all you're doing is spewing your fantasies. Make whatever claim you want. Tell me what colour the tooth fairey's house is. Tell me how many rooms it has. But try to provide me with an address or I'm going to, correctly, call you an idiot.

It's a simple question. You claim there is "Truth". Tell me what the "Truth" about people is.

You're trying to blame the universe for the consequences your own intellectual incompetence.
No. As I pointed out before, "the universe" is in no way responsible for any limitations. The rock is NOT under any obligation to show you the diamonds it contains. You have to operate under the "laws" of the universe. You can complain about them all you want. But that still doesn't mean you can see through rock.

As an inhabitant of the universe, I object.
Then take it up with complaints department. I'm sure "The Truth" of the universe will tell you where that's located.
     If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? - (Brandioch) - (54)
         Fine, I'll fillet the red herring - (drewk) - (1)
             Ummmm, I said there wasn't one. Or did you miss that? - (Brandioch)
         Oh, the truth about people? - (boxley) - (38)
             Exactly. - (Brandioch) - (34)
                 Oh, I see the problem - (drewk) - (33)
                     You're actually getting closer (how long has it taken?) - (Brandioch) - (25)
                         Try to keep it separate - (drewk) - (24)
                             Drew, you are an idiot. - (Brandioch) - (23)
                                 Is it the truth that Drew is an idiot? - (marlowe) - (22)
                                     I believe I have already explained that. - (Brandioch) - (21)
                                         Filters are changeable - (boxley)
                                         Okay, so there's no "Truth" but there is "Reality" - (drewk) - (16)
                                             Those 'things' (!) which "cannot be perceived" - - (Ashton)
                                             That's why I told you to read the OTHER thread. - (Brandioch) - (14)
                                                 Your 'caveat' is exactly the opposite of what I said - (drewk) - (13)
                                                     Awwww, did I hurt your feelings? - (Brandioch) - (12)
                                                         Interesting development - (bepatient) - (11)
                                                             Hey, I'm not the one who's hiding. - (Brandioch) - (10)
                                                                 Er. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                     Not going to happen. - (Brandioch) - (8)
                                                                         Ah... so... other people's behavior... - (admin) - (7)
                                                                             No need for an excuse. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                 In that case... - (admin)
                                                                             Whaaaaaaaaaaaa - (screamer) - (4)
                                                                                 Never said it was anything other than opinion. - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                     Unfair! - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                         Re: Unfair! - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                             Please? - (ben_tilly)
                                         Your filters are not the universe's fault. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                             Your filters can't be removed. Only modified. Slightly. - (Another Scott)
                                             Where did I lose you? - (Brandioch)
                     If an egg falls on a chicken, which came first? - (screamer) - (6)
                         I though I was pretty clear on that one - (drewk) - (5)
                             Okay... Just making sure... - (screamer) - (4)
                                 OT - Sixteen inches? - (drewk) - (3)
                                     It was extremely hard... - (screamer) - (2)
                                         That's the great thing about Seattle. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                             seattle where even the toe jams are green :) -NT - (boxley)
             Ah. What the heck do you know about people? - (screamer) - (2)
                 Of course they are easy to train - (boxley) - (1)
                     Oh, the old "free will" argument... - (screamer)
         Re: If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? - (JayMehaffey) - (10)
             Ahhhh, that's the crux of the issue. - (Brandioch) - (9)
                 I don't think so - (JayMehaffey) - (8)
                     Which is an application of my position. - (Brandioch)
                     And I've been getting even crazier than that... - (screamer) - (6)
                         Just a small difference, I think - (drewk) - (1)
                             No difference. At least not in my book. - (screamer)
                         Minor correction. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                             And now that that is done..... - (Brandioch)
                         Quite close enough - (Ashton)
                         More arguments over definitions - (JayMehaffey)
         If a man speaks in the forest - (Silverlock) - (1)
             ..then he's prolly just tellin war stories - (Ashton)

I can see it now. New posts in IWETHEY Forum Guidelines requiring that bunches of wourds must nouw countain supueurufuluuuouuus u's scattered abuout.
78 ms