IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Catastrophic bridge collapse in Minneapolis.
I've driven that bridge many times - it's a major, major arterial between Minneapolis and St. Paul.

I understand that the bridge had been inspected in each of the last 2 years and given a clean bill of health. There was construction going on, but it was resurfacing the roadway, not structural. Be interesting to see what they find out as they investigate this. Meanwhile, heart goes out to the people involved - they're in my thoughts and prayers.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Yep, it's a sad day and my heart goes out those folks!
Joe (jbrabeck) lives, or used to live, in the general area.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New Still work here
I was in a city council meeting when it happened. The meeting was interupted to announce what had occurred and to give people a chance to call if needed. I figured that I didn't need to call since I live east of there. Trouble was my wife had forgotten that I was going to be at the meeting, and while watching the news coverage, saw a car that looked exactly like mine, upside down in the river. By the time the meeting was over, and I was able to get to my cell phone I had a number of missed calls/voice mails from her...

Next time, I'll call...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New I hope she's happy you're Ok rather than upset! :-)
New After making me wear supper
she was quite happy to see me, even with spaghetti draped all over my head.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New Not quite right
This bridge connect downtown Minneapolis to the north. St. Paul and Minneapolis are connected via I94, running east-west.

As Andrew stated, they are looking for someone/something to blame. Terrorism has been ruled out.

Bridge did pass state safety inspections in 2005 and 2006. There was a federal test done in 2001 that noted some structural deficiencies. Also in 2001, the U of MN engineering department performed stress tests on the bridge. Some metal fatigue was noted, but nothing significant. Bridge was rated as safe for another 20 years.

Good thing that there was the maintenance being performed on the bridge (concrete roadway repair, nothing structural). That limited the traffic to 10mph and only 1 lane each way, down from 65mph with 4 lanes each way. At that time of day, all 8 lanes would have been packed, with commuters heading home (north bound) and Twins fans heading to the game (south bound).

The Minneapolis commute will not be fun for many a year.

I'm glad I have no reason to travel that part of the Twin City freeway.
     Catastrophic bridge collapse in Minneapolis. - (a6l6e6x) - (15)
         The scapegoat is e'n now being assigned. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: Catastrophic bridge collapse in Minneapolis. - (Steve Lowe) - (5)
             Yep, it's a sad day and my heart goes out those folks! - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 Still work here - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                     I hope she's happy you're Ok rather than upset! :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         After making me wear supper - (jbrabeck)
             Not quite right - (jbrabeck)
         Re: Unique design - (hnick) - (1)
             Long span - (jbrabeck)
         So *this* is the bridge to the 21st century - (rcareaga) - (5)
             last time we wanted a bridge to the airport - (boxley) - (3)
                 Please, not the bridge to nowhere. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     move the frikken airport where? to the mountain side? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Yeah, the geography's a problem. - (Another Scott)
             Must take issue with - (Ashton)

drook is not your Guinea pig.
226 ms