Will pass it on, test drive a couple of those next. She can use all of that nice list.

Pity that the google thing re $ for decent answers went belly up (I had 'invented' a scheme, to be called \ufffd"Info on Tap" way-back in the Osborne1 days. For exactly the same reasons as appy today: the Gaussian of the BS-factor in all new things techno.

Even had a contact for VC, some demonstrable-Pros lined up, some proposals.. but prior to The Net: it would have been a long uphill slog and, mainly - twixt that =Bizness and physics (even via leave-of-absence) - no contest. Oh Well.

Average person is still screwed, unless they follow my first Promulgation as elected-Dictator:

Thou shalt not buy anything whose basic concept of operation hath not first been grokked to medium-fullness. Tests at check-out.
(How'd that be.. to prod a dumbed-down, feckless consumer tribe back into learning stuff? eh)
No thinking? No. toy. today.

I think she shall be squared away, ere long. Has already ferreted out some good sites, developed decent instincts for separating the mountain of trivial detail from the Essential. It was probably good for the grey cells all-along, not only because:

(She no longer needs the borrowed Billy Doll + pin set; why, his visage just doesn't arise, anymore - as she heads for Ubuntu 7.04 next, on the unApples.)
Three or four pre-installs Down; a few 100M to go.

Extra appreciations for the added sleuthing,

A.

\ufffd Have since noted that, our non-\ufffd-d title has been appropriated by many. 11K+ on Google, now.