IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I watched it without sound.
I don't feel like watching it again.

Perhaps it wasn't the Santa itself, it was more the way it was chopped together (scene shot being at the front of Santa and a group of protesters, followed by a scene shot being right next to an Israeli soldier) and the way Santa looked (to me) to be added to other scenes later. It was a blatant propaganda piece, one that's designed to inflame passions. Nothing good can come from it.

Yes, such propaganda is nothing new.

Yes, Israeli soldiers have killed protesters who were no threat to them, and have killed innocent bystanders. And have killed others with little or no cause. That's not news either.

I just found this piece of propaganda disturbing. If it's really been shown on Syrian TV, then it illustrates how big the divide is between their position and mine (which I think is fairly moderate).

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Doesn't matter, the sound was really bad.
I mean, it was fricking *lousy*! Kind of a droning Arabic version of Jingle Bells, as far as I could make out over the white noise... Could just as well not have been there at all, IMnshO.

Not that I can see how that would make the film as a whole any worse than exactly what it is: As you so correctly point out, a piece of cheap propaganda with "Santa" half-amateurishly tricked into archival Intifada footage. Your previous post still doesn't explain *what* exactly is so bad about that. Don't worry; you don't have to try again. :-) Let's just leave it as one of those things I don't get.(*)

What's so weird about how disturbed you are by this is... How to put this? Let's try this way: If that had been a fake "Baby Jesus" they'd shown being massacred by the IDF, then I could understand a Christian(+) being upset. But, in order for this "Santa" piece to bother one so, one would have to put Santa up on a level pretty much along with where a Christian puts Jesus, AFAICS.

Has "Christmas" really been *that* much perverted, over there?

(*): As I used to try to point out to my Dad in our discussions of politics when I was a teenager, his "I don't understand that!" was not necessarily a devastating retort on his part, demonstrating the complete incomprehensibility of my arguments -- it could just as well have been an admission of his limited gifts of comprehension. :-)

(+): Other than myself, that is.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New It wasn't the Santa aspect that got me.
At least not so much. It could have been Gumby or Godot - it still would have been disturbing to me.

Perhaps I've led too sheltered an existence. :-)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yeah, seems so. You lack that certain refined Euro-cynicism.
;-)
     modern christmas according to syrian TV - (boxley) - (11)
         That's ... really bad. I can't find the words... :-( -NT - (Another Scott) - (9)
             What's so particularly bad about it? -NT - (CRConrad) - (8)
                 Can't say I'm particularly bothered, either -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Of course not. - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                         Well hey, Santa's been used to sell everything else... -NT - (Meerkat)
                 I watched it without sound. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Doesn't matter, the sound was really bad. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         It wasn't the Santa aspect that got me. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Yeah, seems so. You lack that certain refined Euro-cynicism. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 lousy scripting, editing etc. I could do a better job - (boxley)
         I'll take the commercials, thank you very much. -NT - (Arkadiy)

Sheep. Hmm.
48 ms