IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fixed!
Thanks
I went out an bought a voltage / continuity tester, a bunch of wire, alligater clips, plier and electrical tape.

Made a really long alligator clipped wire, figured out which wire went to which, wired it up, and got it right.
New Great!
New Well done
You'd Pass -

ie having seen some of folks' IT test question suites here, I'd add that this exact home scenario figured on some of my Q/As for newbies. (Yeah they were supposed to grok 'electronics', but often enough, brain would freeze on the much simpler 'electrics'.)

Much worse today, I hear - many EEs have never built anything that needs a soldering iron, relying on *%&^$ computer-simulation for all courses. Then when they find out what happens with all those ground currents circulating inside the 6+ layer PCBs ...

Right answer: when wiring is uncertainly marked == according to a clear code, in the end you save more time by verifying it exactly this way. Even if it seems silly to run a long wire for a 'test lead'. A simple ohmmeter will answer the questions.

(There's a roll in my trunk, too -- often needed in modern cars, where a bad >one< of the multiple [Grounds --> body, all over the place] can really screw up modern computerized toys: with phantom power/pulses appearing in places that the cookbook flowchart knows Nothing of. So.. save that test wire! :-)

I'd like a $_ for every time this suggestion was followed by..

A) too much trouble
B) hours later.. finally does it and finds out, OR
c) call$ electrician

PS - another use for that coil of wire you got, from recent experience at a car venue:

Most modern cars (even my '94) have extensive starter interlock chains.
It's difficult to sleuth these by LED light at 3 AM. after a bit of Absinthe.
You don't know if your starter has died or.?. some part of this chain, but you want it to START.

One end goes to battery [+] == after you've found and gotten to the solenoid's terminal (not the Hi-current connection.) Without a clamp on one end, it's a bit of a PITA if alone; else - you hold an end on the solenoid terminal and assistant touches the other end to battery [+]. If starter doesn't turn Then, you're screwed.

(Note that, with IGN ON: car will indeed run, unless something else is broken.)

Expand Edited by Ashton Dec. 3, 2006, 03:24:39 AM EST
New You da man!
New Yup - I DA MAN!
     Someone needs to explain 3 way switches - (crazy) - (10)
         Here ya go. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             I'm screwed - (crazy) - (1)
                 All of those scenarious are yours. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Fixed! - (crazy) - (4)
                 Great! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Well done - (Ashton)
                 You da man! -NT - (bionerd) - (1)
                     Yup - I DA MAN! -NT - (crazy)
         Ooooo . . . I was going to suggest . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         just wait until you need a third switch on that circuit. - (jbrabeck)

I think mushrooms are like steroids in this. See how you get bigger and stronger?
43 ms