IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Here ya go.
[link|http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switchoutlet/3way/index.htm|Self Help and More].

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who had to replace a 4-way switch in his house once. :-)
New I'm screwed
How do I know which of the scenarios is mine?

And I've already had a flareup!
Thrown that switch away, I have another.
New All of those scenarious are yours.
The diagrams just show the various states of "off" and "on".
Two wires go between switches, so you need to see three wires at each end - one building electrical at each end and a pair going between the switches.
Confusing to tell which is which sometimes though.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Fixed!
Thanks
I went out an bought a voltage / continuity tester, a bunch of wire, alligater clips, plier and electrical tape.

Made a really long alligator clipped wire, figured out which wire went to which, wired it up, and got it right.
New Great!
New Well done
You'd Pass -

ie having seen some of folks' IT test question suites here, I'd add that this exact home scenario figured on some of my Q/As for newbies. (Yeah they were supposed to grok 'electronics', but often enough, brain would freeze on the much simpler 'electrics'.)

Much worse today, I hear - many EEs have never built anything that needs a soldering iron, relying on *%&^$ computer-simulation for all courses. Then when they find out what happens with all those ground currents circulating inside the 6+ layer PCBs ...

Right answer: when wiring is uncertainly marked == according to a clear code, in the end you save more time by verifying it exactly this way. Even if it seems silly to run a long wire for a 'test lead'. A simple ohmmeter will answer the questions.

(There's a roll in my trunk, too -- often needed in modern cars, where a bad >one< of the multiple [Grounds --> body, all over the place] can really screw up modern computerized toys: with phantom power/pulses appearing in places that the cookbook flowchart knows Nothing of. So.. save that test wire! :-)

I'd like a $_ for every time this suggestion was followed by..

A) too much trouble
B) hours later.. finally does it and finds out, OR
c) call$ electrician

PS - another use for that coil of wire you got, from recent experience at a car venue:

Most modern cars (even my '94) have extensive starter interlock chains.
It's difficult to sleuth these by LED light at 3 AM. after a bit of Absinthe.
You don't know if your starter has died or.?. some part of this chain, but you want it to START.

One end goes to battery [+] == after you've found and gotten to the solenoid's terminal (not the Hi-current connection.) Without a clamp on one end, it's a bit of a PITA if alone; else - you hold an end on the solenoid terminal and assistant touches the other end to battery [+]. If starter doesn't turn Then, you're screwed.

(Note that, with IGN ON: car will indeed run, unless something else is broken.)

Expand Edited by Ashton Dec. 3, 2006, 03:24:39 AM EST
New You da man!
New Yup - I DA MAN!
     Someone needs to explain 3 way switches - (crazy) - (10)
         Here ya go. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             I'm screwed - (crazy) - (1)
                 All of those scenarious are yours. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Fixed! - (crazy) - (4)
                 Great! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Well done - (Ashton)
                 You da man! -NT - (bionerd) - (1)
                     Yup - I DA MAN! -NT - (crazy)
         Ooooo . . . I was going to suggest . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         just wait until you need a third switch on that circuit. - (jbrabeck)

The ice cream truck in the neighborhood plays "Helter Skelter".
48 ms