1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "You ruminated for two days, and came up with this?"
New Less than a day, actually.
Worth the wait, wasn't it?

I got more where that came from.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New It was a *quote*, nitwit! (Recognize it, by any chance?)
And no, it wasn't. It was just... _Wrong_.

Why should I be "touchy", about a critique of the American "Left"?!? I'm neither Left nor American!

But if glib bullshit like that is all you've got in reply to a question not about the original "American Left" story, but *your own assertion* that you are "winning" something, well... Then that would tend to indicate your thesis isn't all that well grounded, now wouldn't it?

So that certainly *wasn't* worth even a "mere" 19 hours wait -- though I can see why it would take you that long...
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Ohhh, you're lots of fun!
I bet I can string you out like this for weeks if I want to!

Nah, that would annoy the rest of the board.

By the way, a simple "I'M *NOT* ANGRY, DAMMIT!!!" would have sufficed.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New Why worry now?
Honestly you hit my shit list of people who aren't worth wasting the time of day on quite a while ago. If this board had killfiling capabilities, you would have hit it a long time ago. Certainly if it were added, you would be the first person I would add.

I don't even know why I am bothering to write this. Reply if you wish, I won't waste time responding to that.

Regards,
Ben

New What an intolerant thing to say.
Not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that. But there's few things more petty than using a killfile for the reasons you would want one.

And no, I don't know how to make money fa$$$t.

P.S. I think I know why you bothered to respond. But let's not go into that.
Expand Edited by marlowe Feb. 7, 2002, 12:37:22 PM EST
New A simple "I don't have any answer" would have sufficed for U
If you don't have any serious reply, then either shut the fuck up, or piss off to "Oh Pun" and try to be "funny". (FYI: You aren't.)

You don't really think your silly attempts at covering up the fact that you don't -- don't have any serious reply, that is -- are *working*, do you?
   Christian R. Conrad
New Boooooooooooooooooooooring
Don't shoot the messenger.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Yeah, you're right. Sorry.
Christian, can I have a skeg under the rear ski, or would that be cheating?
Regards,
Ric
New Ehh... Dunno. What's a skeg? :-)
New Sorry. Your English is so good
that I forget it isn't your first language, and you may not know some of the slang.

A "skeg" is a small fin. The canonical article is made of either white metal or plastic, about 75 mm long and 50 mm high, screwed near as dammit to the center of a slalom ski -- the fat water skis that are used one at a time.

It provides the few millidynes [!] of side force necessary to convert the system from "unstable" to "not quite stable".
Regards,
Ric
New It's news to me!
When I was at school, a Skeg was one who hung around at the beach all the time and surfed a lot. As opposed to the Westies, who wore flannelette shirts and did their best to act tough.

Makes about as much sense now as it did then. ie: not much.

"Then of course there is SCEGGS - the Sydney Church of England Girl's Grammar School," he said, geting wildly off track...

On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New I think the West Coast U.S. usage
and possibly Oz, refers to the fin at the back of a surfboard as a "skeg" as well. The way I know the word, it's properly used only for something that's near the middle of whatever it's attached to.

Applying the word as a group-name for a bunch of surfers sounds like a perfectly valid usage for British and [more recently] British-derived English speakers to me.
Regards,
Ric
New Cool! Easy to tell I've never surfed :)
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Ah, that's what I thought it might be.
And the Finnish-english dictionary program -- which my employer has kindly provided me with, but I'd forgot I had; that's why I didn't use it yesterday -- concurs. Well, it doesn't have 'skeg' as a stand-alone word, but as part of the term "skeg of a keel", which it translates as "kölin kanta t. takimmainen osa". Unfortunately, Finnish isn't my first language either, so I'm not quite sure...

But our dept secretary, Annika, confirms my hunch that this means "the base or rear end of a keel"; so the makers of this dictionary don't seem to agree with your "orthodox definition" that it has to be under the center. Oh well, this thing sucks anyway: It doesn't have a translation for "wolverine" at all! (Trying to find that was how I remembered I had it in the first place. But Annika -- I ask her about language stuff at work, because like Linus T. she's a Finland-Swede and thus perfectly bilingual -- tells me it's "ahma".)

Uuhh... Sorry, I sem to have digressed a bit there... But anyway, to get back to the point: Why, sure you can have a skeg!

I planned on that myself, I think. And that's one more reason to go, at least at first, with the El Cheapo design alternative of using an off-the-shelf outboard engine in stead of futzing around with water jets and stuff: If you mount the ski the easiest way, making a hole in it and letting it slide up and down the vertical drive shaft, you get your skeg "for free"!

It'll be there already; outboard engines usually have a protruding fin below the propeller (presumably to protect the prop from hitting rocks or the bottom), don't they?
   Christian R. Conrad
New skeg: skank at a kegger
"If you're half-evil, nothing soothes you more than to think the person you are opposed to is totally evil."
Norman Mailer
New ROFL
With this much manure around, there must be a pony somewhere.
     Some on left see something wrong with *hard* leftists. - (Silverlock) - (59)
         A very good read. Thanks for the link. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Straw Man Anyone? - (andread) - (35)
             Ermmm.. Uhh, It's an *opinion* piece. - (Silverlock) - (34)
                 I'll be the example. - (Brandioch) - (33)
                     "So Noam is an idiot" - I think that was his point. :-) - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         re "near term" - (Ashton)
                         Simple, we don't. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                             Hey Khas, there IS an (ultra-easy-to-use!) Quote select box! -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Whew! A maelstrom of mixed metaphors + micturations. - (Ashton)
                     Oh, my. - (Ric Locke) - (27)
                         OK.. the species isn't ready for sweet Reasonableness - (Ashton)
                         I didn't know we were responsible for everyone. - (Brandioch) - (25)
                             Oh, dear. - (Ric Locke) - (24)
                                 I didn't know we were responsible for everyone. (again) - (Brandioch) - (23)
                                     Re: I didn't know we were responsible for everyone. (again) - (wharris2) - (1)
                                         Which leads to my other point. - (Brandioch)
                                     Brandi, USE the freaking QUOTE BUTTON! That's what it's FOR! -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                         Hey, cut him some slack. I've never noticed it either. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                             Use "Split Block" to save on cut-and-pasting. :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                 Eh? I don't understand the usage I guess. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                     How "Split Block" helps cut down on cut/paste: - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                         Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                             You're welcome! -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                             Reassuring that I'm not the only one who - (Ashton)
                                     We aren't responsible for everyone. - (Ric Locke) - (12)
                                         I wasn't aware of that. - (Brandioch) - (11)
                                             Do you have some kind of religious objection... - (CRConrad) - (10)
                                                 Did I miss something? - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                                     Yes, you did. I refer to ALL your posts EXCEPT the one above -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                         Christian, I've disagreed with you once or twice - (Ric Locke) - (4)
                                                             Oh, yes.. - (Ric Locke)
                                                             Since the weathervane has struck a vein and - (Ashton)
                                                             Feel free to not address my points. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                 The treaty at the end of ww2 - (boxley)
                                                 Minor disagreement. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                     Sorry, but you're just plain wrong. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                         Well..________OK, - (Ashton)
         Self examination... better late than never. - (marlowe) - (21)
             Within your digital Left/Right world - (Ashton) - (1)
                 I can see your underwear. - (marlowe)
             But *what* is it you are "winning", exactly? - (CRConrad) - (18)
                 Touchy, touchy. -NT - (marlowe) - (17)
                     "You ruminated for two days, and came up with this?" -NT - (CRConrad) - (16)
                         Less than a day, actually. - (marlowe) - (15)
                             It was a *quote*, nitwit! (Recognize it, by any chance?) - (CRConrad) - (14)
                                 Ohhh, you're lots of fun! - (marlowe) - (13)
                                     Why worry now? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         What an intolerant thing to say. - (marlowe)
                                     A simple "I don't have any answer" would have sufficed for U - (CRConrad)
                                     Boooooooooooooooooooooring - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                         Yeah, you're right. Sorry. - (Ric Locke) - (8)
                                             Ehh... Dunno. What's a skeg? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                                 Sorry. Your English is so good - (Ric Locke) - (6)
                                                     It's news to me! - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                         I think the West Coast U.S. usage - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                                                             Cool! Easy to tell I've never surfed :) -NT - (Meerkat)
                                                     Ah, that's what I thought it might be. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                         skeg: skank at a kegger -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             ROFL -NT - (Silverlock)

That would be like Scott taking the Wal*Mart cruise.
213 ms