IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Kunstler's take
[link|http://jameshowardkunstler.typepad.com/clusterfuck_nation/2006/10/enter_barack_ob.html|http://jameshowardku...er_barack_ob.html]

Like Lincoln, Obama is not completely formed politically. His lean face, like Lincoln's face pre-beard, needs filling out, as do his ideas and prescriptions for leadership. What he has in common with Lincoln is a gift for plain and convincing rhetoric. After decades of spin, PC euphemizing, neocon proxy speech, and similar bullshit, the public sees Obama as capable of straight talk. He told the last Democratic convention that there were no Blue or Red states but only a United States -- and after the crowd heard that they wanted to trade in John Kerry like a bad wedding present.

Obama, who is not up for re-election this fall, has cut a swath through the heartland to boost other candidates and has generated huge admiring crowds. Time Magazine columnist Joe Klein said on NBC's Meet the Press show this week that the crowds of mainly Midwestern white people seem to feel tremendous gratitude to Obama for not being Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson -- a seemingly odd point worth examining.

Obama's father was from Kenya and his mother from Kansas. He grew up mostly in Hawaii, with a four-year side-trip in Indonesia. He had a distinguished academic career at Columbia and Harvard. Though he is half-African he carries none of the baggage of stereotypical American black culture. He doesn't speak in the patois of the ghetto (or pretend to), and he appears not to possess a sense of implacable grievance for being who he is.

[snip]

The convulsion that a President Obama might be elected into would be one first of economics. Our industrial economy is going to fall on its knees when global energy scarcities gets traction. There is going to be a scramble for resources world-wide and here in North America, and we are all set up to fracture along ethnic and regional lines as that occurs. The presence of a suddenly overwhelming, non-assimilated Hispanic population will only make things more difficult.

A President Obama would also very probably face a geopolitical crisis as the US, China, Russia, Japan, Europe, and the Islamic nations jockey desperately over energy resources while their own populations grow restive, desperate, angry, and possibly aggressive. In other words, a President Obama would possibly face a world war, a civil war, and a great depression all at once. This is not a happy fate for any leader, and so perhaps in the public perception of Barack Obama, in the rising of his star, so to speak, the public apprehends the outlines of tragedy, just as the historical Lincoln is an incomplete picture without the tragedy of his murder a few days after the resolution of the terrible war he presided over.
He might be trying too hard to make the Lincoln parallel, and he doesn't really touch on how likely he thinks an Obama victory is. But it's an interesting viewpoint.
===

Kip Hawley is still an idiot.

===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
Expand Edited by drewk Oct. 24, 2006, 08:33:28 PM EDT
New he's an idiot
The convulsion that a President Obama might be elected into would be one first of economics. Our industrial economy is going to fall on its knees when global energy scarcities gets traction. There is going to be a scramble for resources world-wide and here in North America, and we are all set up to fracture along ethnic and regional lines as that occurs. The presence of a suddenly overwhelming, non-assimilated Hispanic population will only make things more difficult.

what scarecities? ours and canadas reserve of oil sands are larger than Iraq Saudi Lybia and iran combined. The recent price increases were based on profiteering not supply as we are at 7 year highs
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Heh.. think ya gots That right..
...after the fall :-0

I note that we have long been accustomed to ease {Boyo do we demand Ease}, abundance, automatic waste without-a-thought.. ie. no-brainer personal reliance on a vastly complex system just working invisibly, like the dial-tone.

(Wonder if that item, the dial-tone - achieves 12 Nines reliability? Does anything else? Must be numbers out there...)

The few Renaissance ruggedindividualists\ufffd will know how to scrounge; the vast majority prolly couldn't start a fire without a case of 10\ufffd *disposable* lighters (if they aren't child-proofed.)

So whatcha Want in a figurehead Leader, as things decline - is someone able to gently teach the sheep how to stifle that bleat-energy; use it instead to learn what fire is, how friction works - and why ya don't need a 4000# Tank to carry around a 170# (or more) biped.

That will be an exercise in tact, patience and teaching by demonstration - without dissing the sheep much, as then they'd be likely go off in a 2-yo tantrum and start destroying things. (Like after them feetball matches, n'such.)

I see Obama to possess a surprising facility in two of the three; likely he can mentor too

But do we deserve 'him'?

Odds on Barak Obama - (inthane-chan) - (21)
         Re: Odds on Barak Obama - (Yendor)
         ya notice how the repos are pushing him? - (boxley) - (1)
             Ouch! That's a heck of a typo - what a difference... - (CRConrad)
         Obama for VP in 2008. - (Another Scott)
         History is against him - (lincoln) - (3)
             He may have that beat - (hnick) - (2)
                 The mosquitos are beginning to gather - (lincoln) - (1)
                     To triple something is a TWO hundred % increase, not three. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Obama for VP - (JayMehaffey)
         Kunstler's take - (drewk) - (2)
             he's an idiot - (boxley) - (1)
                 Heh.. think ya gots That right.. - (Ashton)
         The most popular football player is... - (ChrisR)
         I don't know why - (tuberculosis) - (4)
             Did Abe get seriously called the antichrist? - (Silverlock) - (3)
                 isnt this where the religo whackjobs holler bring it on? - (boxley)
                 Come on "end times"! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 Is the antichrist gay? -NT - (tuberculosis)
         If the Democrats nominate him. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             What don't you like about him? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 He is a Ronald Reagan. - (mmoffitt)

I think it is I who would be expected to provide the goats as my dowry.
117 ms