IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If history is any guide, Islam would have a tough time.
[link|http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/731.html|Muslim-Dalit Relations]:

However, these alliances did not gain a strong philosophical basis. Most Dalits, even today, do not want to identify either as "Hindus" or "Muslims." But Muslims did not appreciate this and failed to articulate an understanding of the oppressiveness of the caste system. As Muslims divided into more orthodox and more "liberal", it was the Gandhian policies that provided the framework for the more "liberal" approach, that is for those associated with the Congress Party. (The left was on the whole irrelevant during this process since it did not deal with issues of culture). Gandhi sought unity between Hindus and Muslims as a major plank of the Congress - but it was a unity based on accepting Brahmanism within Hindu society. In the phrase, "Ram-Rahim," whatever "Rahim" may have symbolized, Ram represented a feudal, casteist patriarchal king who had killed the Shudra Shambuk for attempting tapascharya. "Ram Raj" had nothing to offer to Dalits. Gandhi was insistent in taking them as part of the "Hindu community" and thus opposed separate electorates for Dalits with a fervor that he never felt with Hindus. In other words, the conditions implicitly put forward by Gandhi for Hindu-Muslim unity included an acceptance of the framework of the caste system as it was imposed on Dalits and other low castes. Muslims were not to interfere in "Hindu" religion.

Ambedkar and other anti-caste reformers offered a different basis for unity, a common opposition to Brahmanism and caste. But this was ignored by liberal Muslims. The orthodox Muslims, in contrast, simply emphasized conversion. This left a situation again, where Dalits seemed to be forced into the "Hindu" framework." Finally, to discourage a Dalit-Muslim alliance those Dalits in Bengal and Hyderabad who had been particular supporters of independent Muslim states had very bad experiences. In Hyderabad, rural Dalits found themselves caught between two pincers of violence, atrocities committed against them both by the Razakars and then by the returning Hindus. In East Pakistan, though Dalits had supported the Muslims, many were attacked as "Hindus" and leaders like Jogendranath Mandal eventually fled back to India.

I can't say whether there is a bias behind this summary.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Never knew that, thanks!
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
     interesting, major religion conspicuously absent - (boxley) - (23)
         Well spotted - (warmachine) - (20)
             Easily understood. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Islam is tied into the caste system - (JayMehaffey) - (18)
                 would you have a link? Im interested - (boxley) - (17)
                     Does gender enter the equation? -NT - (ChrisR) - (12)
                         nope, all equal, just the rules are different -NT - (boxley) - (11)
                             Some more equal than others? -NT - (ChrisR) - (10)
                                 takes 4 women to equal one man - (boxley) - (9)
                                     Re: takes 4 women to equal one man - (systems) - (8)
                                         Thanks for posting. Please come back more often. -NT - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                             Re: Thanks for posting. Please come back more often. - (systems) - (5)
                                                 Don't take it personally. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                     the reason you dont hear moderates is that the Sufi folks - (boxley) - (3)
                                                         :-) - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                             um err, muslim sufi sect was 700+ After JC (didnja know) - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 Actually later than that, IIRC - using the name 'Sufi' - (Ashton)
                                         My dear systems, I was not indulging in rudeness - (boxley)
                     It's an old problem. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Heh - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                             Most unfortunate, too - for underscoring so much else - (Ashton)
                     Re: would you have a link? Im interested - (JayMehaffey)
         If history is any guide, Islam would have a tough time. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Never knew that, thanks! -NT - (boxley)

Hard science if ever there was.
54 ms