IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Thanks for posting. Please come back more often.
I would like to add few things

I accused boxley of being incompetent and impolite, I really didnt wonna use this word, I hate to insult ppl like this. In a way, it were meant in self defense not as an attack. And anyway, sorry.

But really guys, do some effort when you learn about islam,
only rely on trusted unbiased source and
try to show even the tiniest good will!

I understand the excuse, if many muslims are misinformed about islam, why would the non-muslim be better, i understand

But those mis-informed, are usually, poor, non-educated, ignorant etc ...
So its not really a question of your religion, but your level of education and such ...

I expect more from you guys
I, being, poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W. B. Yeats, He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven
New Don't take it personally.
We quite often have heated arguments here, even when we're good friends. Don't take it personally.

Speaking for myself, I have problems with many religions. And I'm able to separate the ideals of a religion from the way it is practiced. But, ultimately, just as a language is defined by how people use it (not by dictionaries and committees - except, perhaps, in France and Quebec), religion is defined by how people practice it.

Also, it would be helpful if you could give cites to illustrate misinterpretations, etc., so that we could learn more. One of the things we hear quite often in the US is that moderate Muslims do not criticize those who use Islam to justify violence against women or anyone else. If you have counter examples you can share, that would be very helpful.

For example, what do you consider a trusted source to counteract the issues raised in the original [link|http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6050408.stm|BBC Story] and the lack of Dalits converting to Islam? Please keep in mind that many of us have read at least parts of the Qur'an and interpretation of it is often not straightforward. (If it were, then mullahs probably wouldn't be needed - just as priests and ministers wouldn't be needed if the Bible were always easy to interpret.)

Thanks. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New the reason you dont hear moderates is that the Sufi folks
are not followed in the news. That particular group of Muslims are fairly widespread and excellent people who truly understand the Koran and how to apply it to life, not just modern but life.

The western news media cant tell the difference and the arab media are owned and operated by gulf arabs and hardline states. They dont belong so therefore dont report on Sufi discussions.

thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New :-)
- missed this gem, a nicely conciliatory response which also happens to be rich in truthiness.. not bad.

Indeed, it may even be so.. that JC et al copped much of their best material from Sufi lore - direct, or as transmogrified into various offshoots, in India.

As they neither operate press agencies nor generate political-flacks - it's unsurprising that 1:1000? Muricans might ever have heard the name. What goes around (comes around only if you're on the right Great-circle-route.)

Row Row Row Your Boat? - a Sufi parable.
New um err, muslim sufi sect was 700+ After JC (didnja know)
and they came out of north afrique? Perhaps you are confusing them with someone else.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Actually later than that, IIRC - using the name 'Sufi'
But their esoteric beginnings/sources (I wasn't there) are alleged to be quite older than JC, intertwined with Moors generally (After all, there's nothing New under the local sun.) Believe 'the Order' didn't get the name 'Sufi' until 1200+

I was more interested in a sense of the origins of the ideas they expressed - than any attempt to follow all the cross-pollenations. Now of course, that's all much easier, once you know enough to vet the veracity of a plethora of 'authoritative' sources with websites.

Their superior storytelling abilities appear to have eclipsed the ancient sources; after-all, putting all the aphorisms together needs a different talent than just being Brilliant. (Though not even 'Brilliance' likely compares with being fully Awake, whatever the date.)

Indries Shaw has put many of these stories into pretty good Engrish.

interesting, major religion conspicuously absent - (boxley) - (23)
         Well spotted - (warmachine) - (20)
             Easily understood. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Islam is tied into the caste system - (JayMehaffey) - (18)
                 would you have a link? Im interested - (boxley) - (17)
                     Does gender enter the equation? -NT - (ChrisR) - (12)
                         nope, all equal, just the rules are different -NT - (boxley) - (11)
                             Some more equal than others? -NT - (ChrisR) - (10)
                                 takes 4 women to equal one man - (boxley) - (9)
                                     Re: takes 4 women to equal one man - (systems) - (8)
                                         Thanks for posting. Please come back more often. -NT - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                             Re: Thanks for posting. Please come back more often. - (systems) - (5)
                                                 Don't take it personally. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                     the reason you dont hear moderates is that the Sufi folks - (boxley) - (3)
                                                         :-) - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                             um err, muslim sufi sect was 700+ After JC (didnja know) - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 Actually later than that, IIRC - using the name 'Sufi' - (Ashton)
                                         My dear systems, I was not indulging in rudeness - (boxley)
                     It's an old problem. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Heh - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                             Most unfortunate, too - for underscoring so much else - (Ashton)
                     Re: would you have a link? Im interested - (JayMehaffey)
         If history is any guide, Islam would have a tough time. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Never knew that, thanks! -NT - (boxley)

If nautical nonsense be what ye wish...
118 ms