IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That Tuna - oh my, what a bloody, sticky mess!
Who would have thought a fish could pour out such a torent of red blood. The sink ran red, the counter and cutting board were flooded with red. Deep red. Dark red.

The flesh was darker than any beef. Cubed and heaped on a plate it was a redish black pile that looked like chunky road kill out in the sun too long.

The head, bones and fins tossed in a pot with water and brought to a simmer was a bubbling reddish brown witches brew uglier than sin done badly. Not promising, not promising at all.

Half an hour later the strained stock proved remarkably clear, clean and mild - perfect for a substantial fish soup.

The cubed flesh I dusted with rice flour and fried in olive oil. I made a sauce of garlic, ginger, shallots, fresh shitakes (lots of them), soy sauce, fish sauce, coconut milk and cilantro - finished off with fresh lime juice.

Served with a heap of steamed jasmine rice it was a dinner to remember (and I will remember it because I have plenty left for breakfast).

This is not fish for wimps nor fish that wants white wine - it demands red - deep, dark, substantial red (the Purple Moon Shiraz on hand did quite well, thank you).

Would I do this again? Well, not until I can get my hands on another tuna. Maybe next week. Maybe I'll take pictures.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Tuna steak trick I want to try someday
In Alton Brown's cookbook, he describes the time he was preparing to grill some tuna steaks. He's a hardwood charcoal fan, and uses one of those [link|http://www.pans.com/products/lodge-camp-dutch-oven-charcoal-chimney-starter-6496.html|charcoal chimney starters]. Apparently the trick to grilling tuna is to go as hot as possible, as close to the coal as you can get, just long enough to barely blacken the outside -- which would be crusted with black pepper and sesame.

So he's waiting to hear the characteristic jet-engine sound that means the chimney has done its thing. He's just about to pour the charcoal into his classic Weber kettle grill when he thinks, "Hmm, the top of that chimney looks pretty hot." So he takes the grill off a small portable kettle, puts the tuna on it, and sets it directly on top of the chimney. Less than 30 seconds on each side and it was done.

Now I've never had a grilled tuna steak, I don't usually cook with charcoal, and I don't even have one of those chimney things. But I want to go buy all the hardware just so I can try this.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Blast furnace tuna!
Yup, that'd do the job all right.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New It was all that myoglobin
Follow your MOUSE
New Tuna is best rare
As Drew's cookbook exploration has pointed out.

Peppered and seared on both sides for about 90 seconds...sliced thin and served with Wasabi.

Yummy.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Yeah, rarely eaten!
Ba dum dum, tish!

Thank yew! Thank yew very much!
New I'm with you, sister.
Follow your MOUSE
New I likes me some rare tuna.
Raw is good to. Depending.
-----------------------------------------
Impeach Bush. Impeach Cheney. Do it now.
New Actually,
I've had some excellent tuna sashimi. It was at an upscale restaurant (yeah, yeah...they let us in :) ) But it was superb.
New I had some Purple Moon Merlot tonight. Pretty good, I think
It's not as cheap as the $3.99/bottle Shiraz, but it was quite reasonable at Trader Joe's. I had half a bottle tonight, so naturally I'm staggering a bit...

Cheers,
Scott.
(Hic!)
New Sounds like you're celebrating to me!
old joke ha ha
New I wish. :-( The wife is feeling stressed and crabby tonight.
She's got some deadlines coming up at work, and her mother is driving her nuts. (I'm able to be a little more detatched than she is.)

Ann: "Where's Gloria?"
Wife: "Your sister Gloria died 15 years ago. She has never been here. You should read that note we typed up for you - it's to help remind you where everyone is."
Ann: "I've read that. But Gloria sleeps with me. I'm worried that she hasn't had dinner."
Wife: "You've just been daydreaming and remembering things from a long time ago. You haven't lived with Gloria since 1941. There are just the 3 of us here."
Ann: "I'm worried about our father."
Wife: "Mother, you and I have different fathers. Your father died before I was born. You don't need to worry about him or your other relatives. Please read that note we typed up for you whenever you wonder where someone is."
Ann: "Ok."
Ann: "Where's Gloria?"

:-(

I think that marlowe must not have much experience with Alzheimer's to believe in things like "objective beauty". ;-)

I haven't had any alcohol in several months. I had some tonight just to relax a little. I'm trying to be good to the wife too - e.g. I got her a [link|https://store.muttscomics.com/pc-97-17-im-a-keeper-shirt.aspx|T-shirt] that she really likes. But I need to do better...

Hang in there, everyone.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Sorry to hear that. Hope you and the Mrs. get a break soon.
     Fish - no pictures today . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (36)
         ICLRPD - (ben_tilly)
         If you shape it into a square - (bionerd) - (34)
             Ya know, I haven't had one of those in a while - (drewk)
             Traipse over to McDonalds for those. - (Andrew Grygus) - (32)
                 Spicy Tuna Rolls! -NT - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                     Uh, yeah, the item every sushi bar . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Hey- you promised no pictures! - (bionerd) - (16)
                     Check the dates - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                         Hey, I can complain if I want! - (bionerd) - (14)
                             And after I let you off easy . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Of course you can... - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                 Squeemish? I think she's faking it. - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                                     I didn't say that she WAS squeamish - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                         So we play. So sue us. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                             Yeah, what he said. - (bionerd)
                                     Here's the difference - (bionerd) - (7)
                                         Can you cut it for someone ELSE to eat? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                             Yes, but - (bionerd) - (5)
                                                 It won't resemble food after they're done with it either :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Clearly you're not a farm girl. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                     Aaaaaaack!!!!!! - (imqwerky) - (1)
                                                         Just don't tell him, it'll be OK. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                     To quote Bruce the Shark from Finding Nemo- - (bionerd)
                 That Tuna - oh my, what a bloody, sticky mess! - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                     Tuna steak trick I want to try someday - (drewk) - (1)
                         Blast furnace tuna! - (Andrew Grygus)
                     It was all that myoglobin -NT - (bionerd)
                     Tuna is best rare - (bepatient) - (4)
                         Yeah, rarely eaten! - (imqwerky) - (1)
                             I'm with you, sister. -NT - (bionerd)
                         I likes me some rare tuna. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             Actually, - (imqwerky)
                     I had some Purple Moon Merlot tonight. Pretty good, I think - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Sounds like you're celebrating to me! - (imqwerky) - (2)
                             I wish. :-( The wife is feeling stressed and crabby tonight. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Sorry to hear that. Hope you and the Mrs. get a break soon. -NT - (imqwerky)

You got the chainsaw. Now find some meat!
97 ms