IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Update: I'm sticking it out.
My fear of what this department might become has been mitigated somewhat.

Some background: We had a meeting, two weeks ago, with the 'uberboss' regarding problems in the department. This came about because my close friend, C. found a job for higher pay, because things were getting bad. She tendered her resignation to him, and he panicked. he knew that his pet project would fail without her (she is the best business analyst it's been my privelege to work with in my career). He counter-offered with a raise and a promotion, and she turned him down - saying that it was what was happening to the team that concerned her. She decided to stay, but only if he could fix the problems (not a big risk on her part, she had amazing offers in a week after she put herself on the market, and she has a lot of money available on the side).

During the meeting, EVERY ONE of us spoke up about how the new development manager was screwing things up. He said he'd try and fix them. After meeting with the 'guilty parties', the development manager actually asked whether he should resign. The uberboss said 'no' and he'd try to resolve problems. He thought the issue was social.

During the next week, the guy stopped insulting everyone to their faces, and things were somewhat better - though he was still trying to micromanage and bypass QA procedures. Things were largely the same. Also, my old boss was neglecting the 'uberboss's pet project.

The team's reponse? Indignant. We had a follow-up meeting where everybody reiterated the problems. The 'uberboss' was shocked. He had been told everything was now OK by the 'guilty parties'. The uberboss was actually shocked by the unanimity - I think HE may 'get' that the team is real, and that it makes a difference. I'm pretty sure the credibility of the 'guilty parties' is now in the toilet. I'm pretty sure that changes WILL be made.

The team ALSO went around the the PM's (deliberate, IMO) sabotage of the uberboss's pet project - because they see value in it. We are going live this weekend after massive 'extracurricular' effort to get it done.

Further, both the development manager and the old boss took vacation rather than help get this into place. They now have NO credibility. I'm not sure that one of them will even be employed after this week.

The reason I'm being braver than usual and commiting? I'm important to this team. The team was the deciding factor to me moving here; it's a rare thing to have a team worth the name 'team' and I can't leave them now - they need me. They've proved to me that the team here is stronger than any individual. I'm proud to be a member. Most of all, I'm proud of C. - had she left, everything would have fallen apart - and she had incentive to leave.

It's all very 'touchy-feely'; I'm not used to that. For the first time in years, though, I feel it's worth the risk. Environment is important.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Sounds good, here's hoping it stays that way.
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New A-Men! *chuckle*

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Very nice
Good to hear that slimeball politics loses in the end.
New Good news, Skip!
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Bravo
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Glad it doesn't seem as bad as you thought!

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life."

By Geoffrey F. Abert
     REALLY disappointed. - (imric) - (34)
         Bummer Dude. -NT - (folkert)
         :-( I hope that it somehow works out for the best. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Oh man, that so sucks, tell your guys Im sorry -NT - (boxley) - (4)
             We gotta go out for a few beers... - (imric) - (3)
                 maybe this thursday depends on whether I figure out my - (boxley) - (2)
                     BTW - gimme a call. - (imric) - (1)
                         wednesday MAY be doable, it depends on what I find on Monday - (boxley)
         Feel for you - (broomberg) - (6)
             I wish our department were large enough. - (imric) - (5)
                 check our website, we got 400's in the data center -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                     No jobs match your search criteria. Please try again - (imric) - (1)
                         emailed one to you, as400 related - (boxley)
                 It's easier to find a job when you have a job. - (admin) - (1)
                     Oh, I heard THAT. - (imric)
         It's awful to be a political pawn who gets sacrificed - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Yeah. - (imric)
         Psycho boss - I know just how you feel - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             My first 'job' for this company was to compare fonts - (imric)
         Slow motion disasters are painful - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             In this case, the team is paramount. - (imric)
         Lemme know if I should bust his kneecaps when I'm there next -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
             *nasty grin* - (imric)
             Sure, if you don't want him to really *think* about it - (drewk) - (1)
                 You've been taking lessons from the Irish again, haven't ya? -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Bad news! I'm pullin' for you. - (jb4)
         time to reconnoiter the perimeter as they say... -NT - (cforde)
         Well, that sucks! - (a6l6e6x)
         Update: I'm sticking it out. - (imric) - (6)
             Sounds good, here's hoping it stays that way. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 A-Men! *chuckle* -NT - (imric)
             Very nice - (broomberg)
             Good news, Skip! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Bravo -NT - (bepatient)
             Glad it doesn't seem as bad as you thought! -NT - (Nightowl)

I am unable to summon the amount of snark that statement requires.
109 ms