IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New REALLY disappointed.
About a year and a half ago, I was put in charge of 'change control' (in addition to my admin duties on the '400). All changes being made to systems (programs, data mods, etc) were to be approved and monitored by me. In order to a) accomodate sufficient QA, and b) allow time for one person to move changes through our various environments (QA, UAT, and Production) we determined that changes would be made to Live on one day only. There was an exception to this rule: If the change was due to an 'emergency' (if it stopped people from doing their jobs, as a 'rule of thumb'), the change could bypass QA and movement through the various environments - the environments would be updated later. To do this, the 'emergency change' had to be approved by the IT Director - it was recognized that this was a serious exception to the rule. Pretty standard stuff. This routine even had our SOx compliance reviewers' stamp of approval. Everything was running smoothly (a few bumps, due to overbearing managers intimidating developers into going around the procedure).

Fast forward to about January. My old boss (the 'IT Director') was demoted, and his boss (der 'fuhrer') stepped into his shoes (the 'fuhrer' sensed a big 'win', and wanted credit - along with some other political crap). Before he is demoted, he hires someone he described to me as a friend, with great PM skills, and good development skills.

The guy he hired is insulting to everyone, and can't manage a project any better than he can develop - which is to say, not at all. The guy has literally every one of our developers, one BA, and a tester ready to quit. With or without a waiting job. Unemployment is looking better than working for him. I myself was offered a more active role in development (something I've wanted for a while), and I pushed it away, rather than be subject to his abuse. He has damaged our department's reputation, and in two months has not managed to hit ONE target date. His priorities shift quite literally with every meeting he attends. Needless to say, unresolved requests are up 500% since this micromanager took control of development. And the micromanger has been blaming US! Last week, the group was on the point of mutiny; we went to the 'fuhrer' as a group and let him know our concerns. Even the outsourced consultants were complaining, and they are making money off of his shananigans! The 'fuhrer' said he will do something about it, and I believe him - if we leave, his pet project dies. He has a lot of political capital invested in it.

That night, our old IT Director started distancing himself from the guy, saying he 'knew OF him' at an old job, had 'met in passing',etc.

Today, in a meeting, to support his friend, he tried to insist that users decided whether a change was an emergency. Not priority, mind you, but whether a project bypasses QA or not. Such a definition undermines QA, and makes a mockery of my role (a role I HATE, btw - which may be why it annoys me when he tries to make the efforts I've made to do a good job at it meaningless).

I admired this guy (the original IT Director) - when he took the position, he took the time to learn what his employees could do, then directed our efforts as opposed to micromanaging us. The results he got were frankly terrific. The trust he gave us was returned, and rewarded with greater efforts. He made the place I work a place so nice to work in that I had actually started to daydream about it being a place I could finally settle and be happy. Now, I'm looking at games supporting friends over what is right, politcs taking precedence over ethics, and lies being held more valuable than ability. He's badmouthed every one of us (according to reports from other employees, and NOT from our department) and said things that pissed off people outside our department - they know they aren't true, but also know that what he's been saying will 'color' our interaction with the management/users we serve. And through it all, everyone in the department is talking to me about the crap that is now happening to THEM. That just makes it worse. And when I look at the old director, I keep hearing a voice that whispers "this is his revenge. We are all just incidental targets".

In other words, this place is rapidly becoming 'just another job'. The fact that everything is decaying so rapidly tells me that I was living in a fool's paradise; it was all an illusion (that I wanted badly to believe in). Now I quite literally have nightmares that the new PM/ADM will get promoted, not fired. Right now, I'm safe - I don't work for the little Napoleon directly - since I stepped away from the development role - but if he takes over, my life will quickly become hell. After all, I wouldn't let him make changes when and where and how he wanted to; this guy is a petty, vengeful cuss, in addition to his other flaws.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Bummer Dude.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New :-( I hope that it somehow works out for the best.
New Oh man, that so sucks, tell your guys Im sorry
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New We gotta go out for a few beers...
...Question is, when?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New maybe this thursday depends on whether I figure out my
latest problem. Take veritas vsc HA cluster software and make it go. Never seen it before so I am trying to understand what it does now to change it to do what I want.
thanx
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New BTW - gimme a call.
We now go out on Wednesdays - Be really cool to have you come out!

Of course, it'd be cool to come out and wisit you there, too.

One way or another, gimme a call, drop me a line, whatever!

Imric's Tips for Living

New wednesday MAY be doable, it depends on what I find on Monday
night, if its cool I dont have to overnight on wednesday. Will give ya a call.
thanx,
bill
New Feel for you
Any further sideways you can move to get away from him?
New I wish our department were large enough.
I really, really do. I've started to peruse computerjobs though - gotta prepare for the worst. I will NOT be poor again. Not if I have anything to say about it.

Imric's Tips for Living

New check our website, we got 400's in the data center
New No jobs match your search criteria. Please try again
I'll look more carefully later...

Imric's Tips for Living

Expand Edited by imric March 21, 2006, 09:46:42 AM EST
New emailed one to you, as400 related
also since you run a mail server, grin, we are looking for a messaging guy to work in my team.
thanx,
bill
New It's easier to find a job when you have a job.
Unfortunately. Hope it works out for the best, but don't squander the breathing room you have now.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Oh, I heard THAT.
On the amusing side, my buddies that have followed my career want to know if I decide to revive 'Dynamic Solutions'. Every time I work for myself, it is about 3 months before the economy collapses...

Imric's Tips for Living

New It's awful to be a political pawn who gets sacrificed
I feel for you.

Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Yeah.
My old boss was using my connection with the rest of my team, I now believe. I've been in the game too long; I hate it, but I know it.

Imric's Tips for Living

New Psycho boss - I know just how you feel
sucks big time. I am becoming philosophical about being an insanely overpaid clerk.

I will pour my extra energy into open source stuff that leads to consulting gigs like ObjectiveCLIPS.

[link|http://www.blackbagops.net|Black Bag Operations Log]

[link|http://www.objectiveclips.com|Artificial Intelligence]

[link|http://www.badpage.info/seaside/html|Scrutinizer]
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:46:40 PM EDT
New My first 'job' for this company was to compare fonts
between documents - by comparing documents produced on paper over a bright light. That was at contractor rates, too! Some of these guys have no sense.

Imric's Tips for Living

New Slow motion disasters are painful
I was on a project once where the company brought in a terrible outside manager. We where told he was a project manager at Mapquest, personally I always wondered if he was pulling some scam on the company.

Not the sort of micromanager you faced here, he was the exact opposite. Even after managing the project for a month he didn't know the names of the people on the project. Barely technical enough to handle his own email on a project where he had to be the technical lead. When there where problems he liked to make up reasons for the customer, stuff that made no sense. Email from the customer sat at his desk for days and then where personally garbled before being sent to us, and vice versa.

He was fired after a couple of months because the customer came back and said they where going to take their buisness someplace else if they had to work with this guy.

But while he was on the project it was a slow motion disaster. Progress on the project ground to a halt and we spent all out time trying to keep things going despite the layer of mud that management created. It is painful working on a project you know is doomed, and twice as bad if you had any personal investment in the project.

I guess the lesson to take from this is that the company your working for is secondary to the manager you directly work for. No matter how good the company, a bad manager can make a project hell. And conversly, a good manager can make working for a bad company tolerable.

Jay
New In this case, the team is paramount.
Not management, or the company.

Imric's Tips for Living

New Lemme know if I should bust his kneecaps when I'm there next
New *nasty grin*
A New Jersey sentiment if I ever heard one!

Makes me kinda homesick...

Imric's Tips for Living

New Sure, if you don't want him to really *think* about it
Busted kneecaps are immediately disabling, and also something that can be worked on. But if you drill a hole through the kneecap, weekening it substantially, then he still functions but will live in fear of the day he over-exerts himself. Much more satisfying. It also makes for fun games of "accidentally push a chair in front while he's walking".

[edit] tyop
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
Expand Edited by drewk March 21, 2006, 02:25:52 PM EST
New You've been taking lessons from the Irish again, haven't ya?
New Bad news! I'm pullin' for you.
Perhaps der Fuerher will fire both of them, and promote you...

(Yeah, and I always choose the $1,000,000 case on "Deal or No Deal", too. Hey, it could happen...)
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
Expand Edited by jb4 March 21, 2006, 01:58:11 PM EST
Expand Edited by jb4 March 21, 2006, 01:58:59 PM EST
New time to reconnoiter the perimeter as they say...
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Well, that sucks!
Both you and Todd work for guys that have reached well beyond their levels of incompetency.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Update: I'm sticking it out.
My fear of what this department might become has been mitigated somewhat.

Some background: We had a meeting, two weeks ago, with the 'uberboss' regarding problems in the department. This came about because my close friend, C. found a job for higher pay, because things were getting bad. She tendered her resignation to him, and he panicked. he knew that his pet project would fail without her (she is the best business analyst it's been my privelege to work with in my career). He counter-offered with a raise and a promotion, and she turned him down - saying that it was what was happening to the team that concerned her. She decided to stay, but only if he could fix the problems (not a big risk on her part, she had amazing offers in a week after she put herself on the market, and she has a lot of money available on the side).

During the meeting, EVERY ONE of us spoke up about how the new development manager was screwing things up. He said he'd try and fix them. After meeting with the 'guilty parties', the development manager actually asked whether he should resign. The uberboss said 'no' and he'd try to resolve problems. He thought the issue was social.

During the next week, the guy stopped insulting everyone to their faces, and things were somewhat better - though he was still trying to micromanage and bypass QA procedures. Things were largely the same. Also, my old boss was neglecting the 'uberboss's pet project.

The team's reponse? Indignant. We had a follow-up meeting where everybody reiterated the problems. The 'uberboss' was shocked. He had been told everything was now OK by the 'guilty parties'. The uberboss was actually shocked by the unanimity - I think HE may 'get' that the team is real, and that it makes a difference. I'm pretty sure the credibility of the 'guilty parties' is now in the toilet. I'm pretty sure that changes WILL be made.

The team ALSO went around the the PM's (deliberate, IMO) sabotage of the uberboss's pet project - because they see value in it. We are going live this weekend after massive 'extracurricular' effort to get it done.

Further, both the development manager and the old boss took vacation rather than help get this into place. They now have NO credibility. I'm not sure that one of them will even be employed after this week.

The reason I'm being braver than usual and commiting? I'm important to this team. The team was the deciding factor to me moving here; it's a rare thing to have a team worth the name 'team' and I can't leave them now - they need me. They've proved to me that the team here is stronger than any individual. I'm proud to be a member. Most of all, I'm proud of C. - had she left, everything would have fallen apart - and she had incentive to leave.

It's all very 'touchy-feely'; I'm not used to that. For the first time in years, though, I feel it's worth the risk. Environment is important.

Imric's Tips for Living

New Sounds good, here's hoping it stays that way.
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New A-Men! *chuckle*

Imric's Tips for Living

New Very nice
Good to hear that slimeball politics loses in the end.
New Good news, Skip!
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Bravo
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Glad it doesn't seem as bad as you thought!

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life."

By Geoffrey F. Abert
     REALLY disappointed. - (imric) - (34)
         Bummer Dude. -NT - (folkert)
         :-( I hope that it somehow works out for the best. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Oh man, that so sucks, tell your guys Im sorry -NT - (boxley) - (4)
             We gotta go out for a few beers... - (imric) - (3)
                 maybe this thursday depends on whether I figure out my - (boxley) - (2)
                     BTW - gimme a call. - (imric) - (1)
                         wednesday MAY be doable, it depends on what I find on Monday - (boxley)
         Feel for you - (broomberg) - (6)
             I wish our department were large enough. - (imric) - (5)
                 check our website, we got 400's in the data center -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                     No jobs match your search criteria. Please try again - (imric) - (1)
                         emailed one to you, as400 related - (boxley)
                 It's easier to find a job when you have a job. - (admin) - (1)
                     Oh, I heard THAT. - (imric)
         It's awful to be a political pawn who gets sacrificed - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Yeah. - (imric)
         Psycho boss - I know just how you feel - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             My first 'job' for this company was to compare fonts - (imric)
         Slow motion disasters are painful - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             In this case, the team is paramount. - (imric)
         Lemme know if I should bust his kneecaps when I'm there next -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
             *nasty grin* - (imric)
             Sure, if you don't want him to really *think* about it - (drewk) - (1)
                 You've been taking lessons from the Irish again, haven't ya? -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Bad news! I'm pullin' for you. - (jb4)
         time to reconnoiter the perimeter as they say... -NT - (cforde)
         Well, that sucks! - (a6l6e6x)
         Update: I'm sticking it out. - (imric) - (6)
             Sounds good, here's hoping it stays that way. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 A-Men! *chuckle* -NT - (imric)
             Very nice - (broomberg)
             Good news, Skip! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Bravo -NT - (bepatient)
             Glad it doesn't seem as bad as you thought! -NT - (Nightowl)

Then again you wonder how certain people sign their names to anything and still choose to leave the house.
110 ms