IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Norm - get a lawyer ASAP
Fight for your rights. More importantly, fight for your good name and reputation.

You know what my previous employer accused me of by my postings on the original IWETHEY website. Before my father died in 1993, he stressed his valuing of our family name and reputation to yourself, family, friends and the community at large. It's the old saying about "you can't take anything with you when you die but you leave behind what people think of you" (something to that effect). One of the best things that he taught me.

I refused to let them deny me unemployment because of false accusations. I found a lawyer who had gone against them before and was willing to take my case. My wife and I argued about spending several hundreds dollars on legal fees when I had nothing coming in. I stressed how important it was that I clear my name by getting unemployment - had I not gotten it, it would have been a tacit admission that they were right with their charges. This way I could tell future employers that "they released me, I'm been receiving unemployment while I'm taking classes electronically and at night". No lies, no tricks, and you can keep your head up high during interviews. But had I never challenged them at all would have been to defeat myself and let them win without their even breaking a sweat. You will feel a perverse sense of pleasure when you hit them with questions that they will try to evade, hammering points that support your side while they dance around hard "Yes" or "No" answers. Like in a TV courtroom drama, making them squirm will help get that monkey off your back.
Getting them to admit to some of your points will make your spirits soar.

Am I still bitter about how I was treated almost 1 full year ago? Yes. I've never been through anything even close to that in my career. But I was lucky to find a new employer during a recession, where I'm paid much more, work at least 10 hours a week less, and have what I consider better management when it comes to dealing with their employees. It can be done, Norm. Break out of your funk, keep hitting the recruiters, consider all options (full time, part time, contracting) and don't give up hope. We're behind you.
BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New Where do I look for a lawyer?
So many choices, but I want a good one. Not one that is going to take my money, waste my time, drag on the case, and not care about winning it. I want one that can go right to the jugglar of the case, and get to the truth, and show that I was unjustly fired. An honest lawyer? Does such a person exist? I just saw that man with a lantern pass by again. :)

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New Can you remember any law firms that your old one hated?
There will be some animosity in that city of yours, use that.
thanx,
bill
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New Nope, cannot remember them
there was one major rival, but they made up and worked on a joint case project. But then law firms always try to stab the other in the back.

Problem with the firm that I worked for, they are good at fabercating stuff. They could tell half a dozen employees to lie on the witness stand, or else they risk losing their jobs. They could hammer all the old proxy logs and destroy backup tapes and replace asptoday.com and others with different domain names to make it look like I was doing personal stuff on company time.

The report to unemployment was that they "believed" that I did personal stuff on work time. In a way that is a major exageration, only personal stuff was if my wife and son was sick and I got called to pick up some medicine on the way home, or me calling a doctor when I was sick. But everyone does that stuff. Only difference is that they wanted me gone, so they had to invent a BS reason. Actually they used a different reason for each of the three times that they talked to Unemployment. They did not show any evidence, nor any witnesses that I did anything wrong. But in the State of Missouri, suspicion is good enough reason to fire someone. Hey, I heard a rumor that Bob is reading books at his cubical instead of working. Then Bob says "I am only reading my technical books so I can program better." But his coworkers told HR that he was reading personal books. Then later Bob gets terminated for doing personal business on company time. He packs up all his books, "Using ASP", "Using Visual BASIC", "Windows 2000 Unleashed", "Using SQL Server", and "Using HTML 4.0", no personal books and the HR lady sees it. But lets him go anyway. Bob apparently earns $55,000USD a year, and can now be replaced with someone who will earn $35,000USD a year. Does Bob have a case under Missouri Employment laws? Nope, because they suspected that he was doing personal business on work time. As long as they suspect it, they have reason to fire him. Maybe next job, Bob won't have Jerks and Jerkettes for coworkers.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New lots of places
Does St. Louis have an alternative newspaper? Many a hungry young lawyer advertise in their back pages. Know anybody who ever had a dispute with a former employer? Ask them who their lawyer was. Know anybody who had to go up against a city, county or state agency? Ask them. Call your local county's free legal referral service. The first person (or 10) they refer you to may suck, but you'll learn what to ask and learn what you want to hear. Keep asking the ones that treat you like a you're a waste of their time if they can give you a referral. How about the local colleges? Call them and see if they have grad students doing free once-a-month counseling. See if any of the teachers or professors give referrals or if they will actually talk to you. Post a note on some bulletin board wherever the law professors have their offices. Ask the students for their opinions: they'll be frank with you about the school staff and about the firms that they're doing internships at, along with good skinny on other firms around town. Check out usenet for opinions - lob a softball and see who responds; i.e., "Anybody know a good lawyer in St. Louis specializing in unemployment?" It'll take minimum real legwork, but a lot of legwork on the phone and networking. It can be done - I did it.
BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
     Alternatives to IT work - (nking) - (31)
         What do you like? - (Another Scott) - (8)
             I am limited, it seems - (nking) - (7)
                 Only by your own thoughts - (Steve Lowe)
                 Limited by your own definition of "good", perhaps? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     One small logical error there... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Re: One small logical error there... - (Steve Lowe)
                     Dont forget Mrs Nking has a stable Job - (boxley) - (1)
                         Yes she does - (nking)
                 You're confusing wants and needs. - (Another Scott)
         Stop thinking and start doing - (mhuber) - (4)
             Get out there and do SOMETHING - (mhuber) - (3)
                 I am out there coach, but nobody is passing me the ball - (nking) - (2)
                     Nobody ever passes anybody the ball - ya gotta steal it - (mhuber) - (1)
                         and ... "Stuart Saves His Family"! - (Another Scott)
         bad back leaves out firefighting - (boxley) - (1)
             You are right - (nking)
         How about teaching? - (tjsinclair) - (3)
             Good people skills - (nking) - (2)
                 You could teach an online course... - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                     That would work - (nking)
         Strong Interest Inventory, WCIYP - (kmself) - (7)
             Strong (heh!) second on both counts! -NT - (Steve Lowe)
             I took one of those in high school - (nking) - (5)
                 Norm - get a lawyer ASAP - (bconnors) - (4)
                     Where do I look for a lawyer? - (nking) - (3)
                         Can you remember any law firms that your old one hated? - (boxley) - (1)
                             Nope, cannot remember them - (nking)
                         lots of places - (bconnors)
         Other jobs I could work for - (nking) - (2)
             Attention: Norm.... - (slugbug) - (1)
                 Thanks, - (nking)

For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach!
58 ms