IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Reminds me of making a car salesman uncomfortable...
I was at a Volvo dealership about a year ago, and a salesman tried to get me to take an interest in one of the new Volvo models. I told him that I wasn't interested and he asked why.

"Looks too much like a Ford."

He got this really funny-looking nauseated look on his face, and mumbled something under his breath.
When somebody asks you to trade your freedoms for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New "Bloody wiseguys, think they know it all..." (or words to...
...that effect), was probably what he muttered. :-)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Yes Mr. Garrison, genetic engineering lets us correct God's horrible, horrible mistakes, like German people. - [link|http://maxpages.com/southpark2k/Episode_105|Mr. Hat]
New Had a reverse situation happen once
Father and I were in a Porsche dealership in The Hague cause my father wanted to test drive the "all new" 944. (should date the event).

The salesman looked very put out and told my father "We don't sell Volkswagens here". and apparently it was this and the 924 that were not made in Zuffenhausen and this (and apparently many) dealers simply wouldn't sell them.

Seems on its initial launch it wasn't very popular with the purists
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New What a maroon. (Or, are you sure it was the 9FOUR4?)
Hmm... Around 1981, was it? (/me can't remember off-hand the exact year the 944 was introduced.)

If you're really sure about the models there, then he was being an absolute fucking idiot.

Yes, the 924 (9TWO4) was originally derided as a Volkswagen -- though the engine was actually from Audi, IIRC (and only later showed up in the Volkswagen LT lorry). But with the heart transplant to a Porsche engine -- basically, one-half of a 928 V8 block -- which accompanied the name change to 944 (9FOUR4), even purists began to accept it as a "real" Porsche.

The initial abhorrence was mainly because of bad memories from the mid-engine 914 (9ONE4), which had been officially branded "VW-Porsche", to go with its boxer-four-cylinder engine -- yep, essentially a Beetle motor. In that case, the transplant to a "real" Porsche engine, a six-cylinder-boxer (and name change to 916), came too late to save the model from doom.

(Checking this post for consistency with my earlier ones in this thread is left as an excercise for the reader.)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Yes Mr. Garrison, genetic engineering lets us correct God's horrible, horrible mistakes, like German people. - [link|http://maxpages.com/southpark2k/Episode_105|Mr. Hat]
New Got the year spot on
and the position softened I think as they realized that the 944 was more than the 924. Still, if you matched things like door locks and hardware, seat styles etc...there was alot of similarity to the VW's of the time. We had just looked at a sport Scirocco vw and father got the idea to test drive a Porsche.

I was under the impression that it was more due to them not being built at Porsche that offended them...being part of the first couple of models that were pieced together in Stuttgart?? iirc.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New "Real Porsches have air cooled flat sixes"
or some such rot.

But with the heart transplant to a Porsche engine -- basically, one-half of a 928 V8 block -- which accompanied the name change to 944 (9FOUR4), even purists began to accept it as a "real" Porsche.

An awful lot of "purists" never accepted the 928 as a real Porsche. "Water cooled?!?" "V-8?!?!"

The [link|http://www.autozine.org/classic/924.htm|944] was a decent car and sold well, but I don't think they had the best advertising campaign. "World largest 4 cylinder!!!" Yeah, a 3 liter 4 cylinder. That's really going to appeal to those who want a 911. :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who always wanted a 928.)
     Zoom Zoom Zoom - (bepatient) - (46)
         Oooh. Stealthy. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Didn't even consider Nissan - (bepatient) - (1)
                 Agreed. - (Another Scott)
         That it is - (SpiceWare)
         Very nice -NT - (broomberg)
         well at that end of the market I buy at price/warranty - (boxley) - (37)
             Understood - (bepatient) - (36)
                 I think the mazda is a great choice, good engineering -NT - (boxley) - (35)
                     Just as good - or bad - as the Ford Focus and Volvo S40/V50. -NT - (CRConrad) - (34)
                         Not even close - (bepatient) - (33)
                             plus the focus handles like crap and was 8k more than kia -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Theres a focus model much less expensive - (bepatient) - (2)
                                     the local ford dealer would only go as low - (boxley) - (1)
                                         guess maybe with tax, tag and all that other crap - (bepatient)
                             That's not "engineering" - not of the basic *car* itself. - (CRConrad) - (28)
                                 well handling of a mac truck is the same as a focus - (boxley) - (19)
                                     You really don't know WTF you're gibbering about, do you? -NT - (CRConrad) - (18)
                                         Problem with your thought process - (bepatient) - (17)
                                             Softest car I've driven was a Euro - (tonytib) - (12)
                                                 Citroen C5. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                     Re: Citroen C5. - maybe continuing the mix of the Ami 6 - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                         Some Audi A4 models are 5-pots. - (pwhysall)
                                                         No, straight sixes are the smoothest. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                             I thought V-12s were smoother. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                 OK... Marginally so. (power pulses delivered twice as often) -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                                     I actually thought the... - (folkert) - (3)
                                                                         Naah. The eight is rougher, and the twelve is impractical. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                                             Cadillac V-16 Roadster - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                                                 Dunno if I've mentioned this before - one of the previous... - (CRConrad)
                                                     2.4L V5 Volvo V40?I thought that's a STRAIGHT (IN-LINE) five -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                         Disclaimer: I never looked under the bonnet. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                             Besides being slow as a snail and leading me wrong,you mean? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                 Um. ok. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                     OK. ("ZX3", izzat what the Volvo-engined one is called?) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                         no...thats what the base 2.0l 3-door is called. -NT - (bepatient)
                                 Reminds me of making a car salesman uncomfortable... - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                     "Bloody wiseguys, think they know it all..." (or words to... - (CRConrad)
                                     Had a reverse situation happen once - (bepatient) - (3)
                                         What a maroon. (Or, are you sure it was the 9FOUR4?) - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                             Got the year spot on - (bepatient)
                                             "Real Porsches have air cooled flat sixes" - (Another Scott)
                                 Performance Focus is the ST - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Dear Lord - (bepatient)
         hope the grin on your face doesn't - (cforde)
         Yay! I really liked your last Mazda! -NT - (imric) - (1)
             The similar model now sports 274 hp - (bepatient)

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, yo ho ho and a bottle of rye!
83 ms