IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New here ya go
[link|http://www.smplanet.com/imperialism/fists.html|http://www.smplanet....ialism/fists.html]
A secret society, known as the Fists of Righteous Harmony, attracted thousands of followers. Foreigners called members of this society "Boxers" because they practiced martial arts. The Boxers also believed that they had a magical power, and that foreign bullets could not harm them. Millions of "spirit soldiers," they said, would soon rise from the dead and join their cause.

Their cause, at first, was to overthrow the imperial Ch'ing government and expel all "foreign devils" from China. The crafty empress, however, saw a way to use the Boxers. Through her ministers, she began to encourage the Boxers. Soon a new slogan -- "Support the Ch'ing; destroy the foreigner!" -- appeared upon the Boxers' banner. In the early months of 1900, thousands of Boxers roamed the countryside. They attacked Christian missions, slaughtering foreign missionaries and Chinese converts. Then they moved toward the cities, attracting more and more followers as they came. Nervous foreign ministers insisted that the Chinese government stop the Boxers. From inside the Forbidden City, the empress told the diplomats that her troops would soon crush the "rebellion." Meanwhile, she did nothing as the Boxers entered the capital. Foreign diplomats, their families, and staff lived in a compound just outside the Forbidden City's walls in the heart of Beijing. Working together, they threw up hasty defenses, and with a small force of military personnel, they faced the Boxer onslaught. One American described the scene as 20,000 Boxers
the mongols did the same, han, ming back into history. wash rinse repeat.
thanx,
bill

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Really reaching there box....
The boxers, iirc, were up in arms because the Chinese government wasn't doing enough to stop the opium trade coming from England. (Long story, China would only trade gold for tea....and Englishmen had to have their tea.)

But while they wanted to throw out the invaders...there were pretty damn good reasons for wanting to do so.

Thuggee is a far better reference.
New secret societies with magic powers dime a dozen in china
dont forget one of the main characters of that era the taipeng rebellion
[link|http://www.mrdowling.com/613-taiping.html|http://www.mrdowling.../613-taiping.html]
The rebellion began in southeast China, a region that never fully accepted the Qing, who came from Manchuria in northeast China. Hong Xiuquan had learned of Christianity from missionaries. In 1843, when he failed his examination for a government job for the fourth time, Hong exploded in rage at the Manchu domination of China. He read a translated version of the Christian Bible, which told the story of how a chosen group of people rebelled against their rulers with God's help. The stories seemed to explain visions Hong had during an earlier mental illness. Hong came to believe that he was the Son of God and the younger brother of Jesus. His mission on earth was to rid China of evil influences. They included Manchus, Taoists, Buddhists, and Confucians. Hong's religion combined traditional Chinese ideas with half-understood Christianity.

Many famine-stricken peasants, workers, and miners were attracted to the new faith. The converts believed that God ordered them to destroy Manchu rule and set up a new Christian brotherhood. A small group of believers grew to more than one million disciplined, zealous soldiers. In 1851, Hong proclaimed a new dynasty, the Taiping, which means "Great Peace," and assumed the title "Heavenly King." Two years later, the Taiping army captured Nanking, a large city in central China.
the chinese are as capable of fuckwittery as any mad sinai desert dweller seeing visions. Compare same to crazy horse. Visions, religion and butchery go hand in hand followed by the bean counters to run it like a business and then it becomes a mainstream belief.

As to your point about throwing out foreign invaders are the bedrock of both the Jewish and Muslim beliefs.
thanx,
bill

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Interesting that you picked one based on Christianity
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New okay the freakin japs wernt christian and they slaughtered
the fuck out of every nation in the orient on behalf of their god emperor in WW2, tough crowd here.
thanx,
bill
New That's a much better example :-)
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     An article with a picture of one of the Danish cartoons. - (Another Scott) - (71)
         I want to see another cartoon - (boxley)
         Glass. Turn the entire region into glass. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Die Welt in Germany published six - (andread)
         And the US version of protests. - (a6l6e6x) - (39)
             I thought you were going to point to this... 31 kB img - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Agree, it is more similar because both are cartoons. - (a6l6e6x)
                 That's easy - (jb4) - (1)
                     it was entirely amusing to listen to rocko flailing the - (boxley)
             I cant wait for Al Sharpton's attack that organization - (boxley)
             Do you really think a protest letter is comparable - (Arkadiy) - (33)
                 Agreed - (SpiceWare)
                 Indeed, there's no doubt that this reveals that - (jake123)
                 No it's not comparable but shows the same kind of thinking. - (a6l6e6x) - (30)
                     these photos were published in September Lat Year - (boxley)
                     stir != mob action, terrorism, et al - (jb4) - (3)
                         At least a part of that is government inspired. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             But they will collect the kindling, so to speak. - (static) - (1)
                                 quite a few around the globe - (boxley)
                     Do you mean like these? - (Arkadiy) - (24)
                         some of those are pretty good, where can I get the T-Shirt? - (boxley) - (5)
                             The Jewish extermists are clearly a minority - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                 not my point its quality not quantity fanatics are fanatical -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                     Another "difference of degree"... Sigh... -NT - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                         On the contrary, it was a comparison in qualitative terms... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                             It tells me that, say, 80% of the nation - (Arkadiy)
                         My personal fave - (jake123) - (2)
                             Oh, I think you misunderstood her - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                 Oh, I don't think I did - (jake123)
                         At least the first batch puts my example to shame! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (14)
                             you can go to 1929 hebron also but whats the point? -NT - (boxley) - (13)
                                 Re: whats the point? - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
                                     fair statement -NT - (boxley)
                                     Nothing I can do about this attitude - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                                         Re: Nothing I can do about this attitude - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                             moral difference - (boxley) - (7)
                                                 Re: moral difference - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                     naw, they'll blame it on the Jews as usual :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                                     s /Jordan/Lebanon/ perhaps? -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         Ar. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             It's not unusual for some to have Jordan on the brain... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                 Not on the *brain* as such... -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                     israeli's didnt nick it, they paid cash for most of it - (boxley)
                                             My solution? - (Arkadiy)
         I am not in favor of turning the region into glass. - (Andrew Grygus) - (24)
             the evangelicals having been trying to do that here - (boxley)
             Don't misunderstand me. - (mmoffitt) - (22)
                 We get it. You're a genocidal maniac. - (imric)
                 Entirely futile - (Andrew Grygus) - (19)
                     But don't you think it odd that all the ME religions... - (mmoffitt) - (18)
                         chinese are not middle eastern and have been slaughtering - (boxley) - (10)
                             Chinese? - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                 I thought Maoism and Stalinism were on top. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Those are (allegedly) that antithesis of Religion - (jb4) - (1)
                                         To be replaced as opiate by you know what. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 here ya go - (boxley) - (5)
                                     Really reaching there box.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                         secret societies with magic powers dime a dozen in china - (boxley) - (3)
                                             Interesting that you picked one based on Christianity -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                 okay the freakin japs wernt christian and they slaughtered - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     That's a much better example :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                         I agree that the 'Three Revealed Religions' are . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             You didn't mention the following detail - (jb4)
                         Cambodia -NT - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             Religion was banned by the Khmer Rouge. Thanks for playing. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                 try 500 years earlier -NT - (boxley)
                                 That's because they didn't call their religion a religion - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     Sorta like Micros~1; Product can't stand up on its own... -NT - (jb4)
                 <long post deleted> - (Arkadiy)
         Hitchens weighs in. - (Another Scott)
         It's all a total lie, anyway. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             But that cannot be!!! - (Another Scott)

Last minute panic is my Muse.
76 ms