IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New In what way...
...because it seems pretty reasonable to me.

With that kind of EULA...I would certainly not use the product. Bad enough I use Windows on the kids machines.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New BeeP, Carg (and Karsten): Precisely *because*...
..."it seems pretty reasonable to me".

Only, what seems pretty reasonable to *me*, is their stipulation that you pay for the audit *IF AND ONLY IF* you *ACTUALLY _A_R_E_* infringing on their copyright. What's so unreasonable about that?!?

OTOH, yeah sure, he (and all those posters on Freshmeat) do have a point, about the audits *being done in the first place*... But that's not what he emphasised to the _Reg_; the not-so-unreasonable cost bit was.

Furthermore: A] What company *doesn't* have those provisions in their EULA? B] Isn't it enough that a company joins the SPA or something, and they get those audits done for them, perhaps even *without* mentioning them specifically in their EULA? C] If the audit clause is, as many on Freshmeat (and I think Karsten in his original post about it here?) say, an illegal and unenforcable provision anyway, then isn't it a tad silly to harp on that specific clause to the (near-)exclusion of the rest of the EULA?

Also, his flippant remark to the [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23658.html|Register][*],
Borland's the three-ounce gorilla out of its league. Microsoft can throw its licensing weight around, but a niche player - despite some nice tools and avid fans - has no leverage
-- seems particularly ass-backwards. Wouldn't it be WORSE if a really BIG "gorilla" like Microsoft did this[+], than a comparatively harmless "three-ounce" one like Borland? Yes, of course it would be (=is). So YTF does he make it sound as if it's *worse* from Borland -- is he tacitly *condoning* it when "the big gorilla" does it, or WTF?!?

[*]: BTW, K, give Orlowski the [link|http://lists.alt.org/pipermail/fsl-discuss/|correct link] to your mailing-list -- the one he has gave me a 404.

[+]: Which they DO, don't they?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New You are misreading
The Register may have quoted the payment terms. But Karsten's quote is about the fact that Borland has unreasonable license terms, and Duchane's quote makes it damned clear that the license terms that bug him is the ability to come in and audit you.

Knowing Karsten a bit, the idea of paying for copyright violations isn't a big deal. The idea of random audits is. Don't blame the Register's slant on Karsten. If there are reasonable and an unreasonable options for what to be POed at Borland about, it is best to assume that Karsten is upset about the reasonable one.

Now that said, the idea of the audits isn't something to just lightly brush off. The idea of having a company who might be a potential competitor come in and audit what you have on your computer systems is very, very chilling. Should you have information on your computers with some degree of confidentiality (we would be breaking SEC regulations to just hand out some of what is on ours!), there are serious legal issues with handing over access. Even when it is legal, very few companies really want to hand over information about what is in email, private contracts, or payroll.

You are a rabid Borland fan. We all know that. But please come back to rationality long enough to see that Borland is trying to hand itself the kind of powers that jack-booted thugs all over drool about. And as long as they pursue that course, they deserve to be regarded as jack-booted thugs.

Regards,
Ben
New Not by as much as you seem to assume.
Ben T:
The Register may have quoted the payment terms. But Karsten's quote is about the fact that Borland has unreasonable license terms,
No, it's about how Microsoft can get away with it -- formulated so blandly as to seem to be condoning it, from them -- while Borland can't.

And you're trying to imply that *I* read it carelessly?

and Duchane's quote makes it damned clear that the license terms that bug him is the ability to come in and audit you.
Yup -- but he's not Karsten. (AFAIK?)

Knowing Karsten a bit, the idea of paying for copyright violations isn't a big deal. The idea of random audits is.
Yeah, I did pretty much the opposite of giving him the benefit of the doubt, on what wasn't explicitly quoted in the article... Sorry 'bout that, K. (But on what substance there *was*, I still think I read it more accurately than you, Ben.)

Don't blame the Register's slant on Karsten.
And don't try to excuse Karsten's quote with *Duchane's* "slant".

If there are reasonable and an unreasonable options for what to be POed at Borland about, it is best to assume that Karsten is upset about the reasonable one.
Huh -- what kind of boring let's-all-agree discussion would *that* give us here?!? ("What's next, you want us all to sing _We Shall Overcome_ in chorus?" ;^)

Now that said, the idea of the audits isn't something to just lightly brush off.
No, of course not -- but it still seems silly, going to these hysterics because of the "three-ounce gorilla"'s doing it, when AFAIK all the other more dangerous beasts are doing it too.

The idea of having a company who might be a potential competitor come in and audit what you have on your computer systems is very, very chilling.
"Competitor"?!? D'you really think that many *development-tool* (compilers, etc) companies use Borland tools? One would think they'd tend to eat their own dog-food...

You are a rabid Borland fan. We all know that.
Yup.

Actually, that's why I felt OK with at least partly defending them -- it's not as if I'm trying to *sneak* any pro-corporation viewpoint on y'allses, anyway... Right? :-)

But please come back to rationality
Care to take that back, please?

long enough to see that Borland is trying to hand itself the kind of powers that jack-booted thugs all over drool about.
Just like any other commercial proprietary-software company.

And as long as they pursue that course, they deserve to be regarded as jack-booted thugs.
As much as any other commercial proprietary-software company, yes.

But hardly more.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Formulated so blandly that what?
What Karsten said is that Microsoft can get away with throwing its licensing weight around, and he called Borland a 3 ounce gorilla. This is an obvious reference to Microsoft being an 800 pound gorilla who can do pretty much whatever it pleases no matter what others think about it.

What is part and parcel of the image is that nobody likes it when the 800 pound gorilla throws its weight around, they just aren't willing to argue with 800 pounds. The only difference between Borland and Microsoft is that people aren't scared to tell 3 ounces of mad gorilla where it can go stuff it.

Now can you read this as condoning Microsoft's behaviour? It is a statement of fact, Microsoft gets away with crap. It describes how pretty accurately. Microsoft has a strong enough monopoly that they can afford (at least for a bit) to not care about consumer opinions. It doesn't say it is right. It doesn't say it is good.

And then he goes and recommends that you go with free software if you can. This means what about Microsoft?

(Incidentally when Karsten announced the thread in the Open Forum, he made it clear what he didn't like. It was the performance of the audits. Not payments.)

Cheers,
Ben
New Well, if not "condoning"...
Ben:
Now ["how", I assume -- CRC] can you read this as condoning Microsoft's behaviour? It is a statement of fact, Microsoft gets away with crap.
...then at least pretty much resigned to it, no?

And then he goes and recommends that you go with free software if you can. This means what about Microsoft?
Actually, that's *not* (the main point of) what he says:
"Any sane person seeing these licensing terms can only do as Duchene suggests: destroy all copies of Borland software and turn to one of the other proprietary, or better free, products available."
Turning to free products is optional, "destroy all copies of Borland software" is not.

Funny... Care to explain how those terms in a NEW license are supposed to affect my use of, say, my copy of Delphi 5? I should rush out and "destroy all copies" of *that*, too?!?

(Incidentally when Karsten announced the thread in the Open Forum, he made it clear what he didn't like. It was the performance of the audits. Not payments.)
Thanks ever so much for *assuming*, _again_, I didn't know that. Too bad that forum doesn't have quite the same number of readers as the Reg, eh?

Now take back that fucking "come back to rationality" insult before I talk to you again.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Re: Well, if not "condoning"...
Now ["how", I assume -- CRC] can you read this as condoning Microsoft's behaviour? It is a statement of fact, Microsoft gets away with crap
....then at least pretty much resigned to it, no?
Not resigned. I don't use Microsoft software. I know those who do. In general, on the market, Microsoft can get away with its actions (or has historically). As Ben said, statement of fact.
[Karsten:] "Any sane person seeing these licensing terms can only do as Duchene suggests: destroy all copies of Borland software and turn to one of the other proprietary, or better free, products available."
Turning to free products is optional, "destroy all copies of Borland software" is not.
It's an and. If you're referring to my intent, both actions are recommended.
Funny... Care to explain how those terms in a NEW license are supposed to affect my use of, say, my copy of Delphi 5? I should rush out and "destroy all copies" of *that*, too?!?
Mindshare, Christian. Mindshare. Make it clear that Borland's risking not only future sales but current base.
Now take back that fucking "come back to rationality" insult before I talk to you again.
Grow up, Christian.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/]]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Butt out of my words with Ben, mmmkay, K?
Karsten:
[Quoting Ben, then me (quoting Karsten):]
[Karsten:] "Any sane person seeing these licensing terms can only do as Duchene suggests: destroy all copies of Borland software and turn to one of the other proprietary, or better free, products available."
It's an and.
Yeah -- it's an "and", the first term of which is "destroy all copies of Borland software" *without* any option, and the second term of which is *either* "[turn to] other proprietary [products]", *or* "better [turn to] free, products".

So how, exactly, was your observation that "it's an 'and'" supposed to logically prove that you didn't, in fact, say exactly what I said you did?!?

If you're referring to my intent, both actions are recommended.
Only, one is optionally recommended and the other unconditionally recommended. And if it wasn't your intent to say that, then you fucking well shouldn't have *written* precisely that.

Don't try to blame *me* for *your* inability to say what you (now claim you) intended to say -- 't'would be more appropriate for you to say "Thank you for the lesson, master. I shall endeavour to do better in the future", than to try and kibitz about the objective fact that you said what you actually _said_, be that what you meant or not.

Grow up, Christian.
Shut up, Karsten.
   Christian R. Conrad
New No

I cannot be expected to take it back while I still believe it. If Borland wants to demand insanely broad audit powers, that is simply not acceptable and it is not rational to defend that action.

Now hopefully this is a temporary lapse, some lawyer fucked up royally, Borland will recognize the seriousness of their error, they will back off and go back to being a good citizen. Every company has idiots, and lawyers tend to be extremely prone to that failing. But (as I said initially) as long as they pursue their current path, they deserve to be roundly criticized for it.

Cheers,
Ben
New Quotes and links
The link works, it points to the list archives.

What Andrew had wanted from me was a read on the legality of the EULA. I'm not qualified to discuss that. Had to settle for the rant.

There are two aspects to the rant. There's the legality of the issue (and it's not just the "you have to pay for the audit" bit, read the [link|http://freshmeat.net/.misc/borland-license.txt|license] and background at the Reg article), which I'd suggest is in question, though I'm not sure. There's additional background that Andrew didn't put in (and I write my bites the way I know they're going to be used: just give enough that you know they'll use it or toss it). There's also the strategic side. And that's where my comments hold. Microsoft, for better or worse, could pull something like this off. Their market position is such that they'd be able to do it and still sell product. Mind, the same moral and legal questions exist. Borland's just not in the same position at all.

By comparison, the prime crop out here in Silicon Valley is "For Rent" ("For Let" to you you Brits & Ozzies) signs. There are two responses by landlords. Some are reducing rents (I've heard of 50% unsolicited rent reductions) to keep tenents. Others are looking at a 25-50% vacant property (typical) and say, "Hmm, gotta keep the income stream up", and jack up the rent. There's one lady who's trying to get $2700 for her 2BR/1BA apartment ([link|http://www.paloaltoonline.com/paw/paonline/classifieds/index.shtml|going rate's] closer to $1600-$1800).

The point is that you can't fight the market. Borland is trying to muscle in some aggregious licensing terms. It's only (IMVAO) going to lose marketshare in the process.

Does this mean that MSFT is right in doing same or similar? No. But they can pull it off. At least in the short term.
--
[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/]]
New Nit: s/For Let/To Let

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Scrotes and dinks
Da K
The link works, it points to the list archives.
No, it bloody well doesn't -- it gives me a [link|http://lists.alt.org/mailmain/listinfo/fsl-discuss|404 Not Found] error, at home now as well as at work this morning. Cutting it down to [link|http://lists.alt.org/|http://lists.alt.org/] and working from there, I found that you (or Orlowski) probably meant [link|http://lists.alt.org/mailman/listinfo/fsl-discuss|this page], which *does* point to [link|http://lists.alt.org/pipermail/fsl-discuss/|the archives]. The difference is in the number of 'i's; there's two in "mailmain", where there should be only one for "mailman".

What Andrew had wanted from me was a read on the legality of the EULA. I'm not qualified to discuss that. Had to settle for the rant.
And if you had nothing to say, just *saying* that you had nothing to say evidently wasn't an option...?

For a media whore, I'd say perhaps you need a bit of a more discerning pimp.

There are two aspects to the rant. There's the legality of the issue (and it's not just the "you have to pay for the audit" bit, read the [link|http://freshmeat.net/.misc/borland-license.txt|license] and background at the Reg article),
Thank you SOOO fucking much for assuming I hadn't done that. WTF is this, Ben's and your day, *both*, for talking down to me when it's *you* who haven't done your homework[*]?!?

YES, FUCKITALL, I _K_N_O_W_ that that was what the guy at Freshmeat (and most of the follow-up posters) complained about -- as *you* would have *known* I did, if you'd read the freaking post you fucking well replied to! -- but that wasn't what *you* said in Orlowski's article! Do try and keep up, will you?

which I'd suggest is in question, though I'm not sure. There's additional background that Andrew didn't put in (and I write my bites the way I know they're going to be used: just give enough that you know they'll use it or toss it).
Blah, blah -- you sound as if you expected us to reply to the bits you *didn't* write. Sorry, but even I am not *that* fucking clairvoyant.

There's also the strategic side. And that's where my comments hold.
And thus expose the naked irrelevance of the rest of your "rant".

Microsoft, for better or worse, could pull something like this off. Their market position is such that they'd be able to do it and still sell product. Mind, the same moral and legal questions exist. Borland's just not in the same position at all.
So let's all pile on Borland, because *they* are obviously the bigger danger to Life, Happiness, and the American Pie! Er, Way! Or, um... Oh, whatever.

[SNIP: Irrelevant references to... Well, apparently to K's housing problems.]

The point is that you can't fight the market. Borland is trying to muscle in some aggregious licensing terms. It's only (IMVAO) going to lose marketshare in the process.
Yes, probably. It's not as if I'm saying it isn't a *stupid* move, you know...

But, hey, just out of curiosity, how would *you* try to fight "piracy" in Borland's particular situation? Did you even understand, from that license you seem to think you have read oh-so-much-more-carefully than I, *what the specific problem is*, that they are trying to get at with most of those -- at first glance somewhat mysterious -- clauses?

If not, then maybe it doesn't behoove *you* to lecture down to *me* quite as much as you're prone to doing, now does it? (And no cheating, now -- if you need outside help to figure out what the mumbo-jumbo is really all about, I expect you to tell us so.)

Again, I am *not* saying that that's a particularly good solution to their (potentially huge) problem... But really I have to admit, I can't come up with a better one either.

Does this mean that MSFT is right in doing same or similar? No. But they can pull it off. At least in the short term.
So rail against something that *needs* railing against -- which would seem to be *them* doing things like this -- in stead of yelling your throat out over low-hanging fruits like "three-ounce gorillas".

[*]: In the narrow context of *this* discussion.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Pointing out the obvious
What amount of time does Karsten spend in activities which one way or another are intended to make people aware of Microsoft's monopoly and explore alternatives?

What amount does Karsten spend on Borland's licensing concerns?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to pause in the middle of an extended campaign against an 800 pound gorilla to smack at 3 ounces of irritation...

Cheers,
Ben
New Yup; in all fairness, gotta admit that much is true.
New Re: Scrotes and dinks
I was asked for an opinion on a specific situation. I provided on. Reflecting, I might have kept my yap shut. I think I stated the obvious in a reasonably colorful way, such that Borland might wake up.

...OK, so (and I'm guessing here) but...we are agreed that this is idiotic on Borland's part then?
But, hey, just out of curiosity, how would *you* try to fight "piracy" in Borland's particular situation?
Real simple. Maybe simplistic.

I wouldn't.

The simple truth is this: Borland doesn't need to worry about piracy, they need to worry about mindshare. Staying afloat and relevant. Getting people to use the prodct. Keeping the product alive.

Writing brain-dead licensing terms that a corporate risk manager is going to look at and say "no way, Jose", isn't going to cut it. This is the song that Ed Foster at InfoWorld's been singing regardign UCITA and various EULA clauses for years. I'm definitely taking my free software biases to this, but you certainly don't have to be a free software freak to reach similar conclusions. You've snipped a fair bit of my post as irrelevant, I believe you're mistaken in doing so.

There are two issues at stake here. One is the legal standing of Borland's license. The other is its strategic benefit. I speak largely to the latter. I've written on this topic recently on the Free Software Business list, regarding [link|http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?mss:7011:200201:aeaodelkpbnhblgbdfno|who succeeds in software]. As my post makes quite clear, it's a case of Microsoft...and everyone else. Pure-play software simply doesn't pay -- unless you're a monopolist. Cheap shot or not, Borland is the three ounce gorilla here, [link|http://www.softwaremag.com/SW500_2000/index.cfm?StartRow=1&RowsPer=500|look them up yourself on the software 500]. They're number 99 on the list for 2000, with 8% revenue shrinkage, of $174 million. OK, so I'm slightly off. If Microsoft's the 800 pound gorilla, Borland weighs in at just under six and a half pounds. You get the drift?

Borland needs to grow, regardless of the cost. If they can't continue enhancing their product on a proprietary basis, it may be time to consider an alternative strategy (the two primary alternatives would be a sellout to another player, likely Microsoft or IBM, or going free software). The company's stuck between a wall and a hard place: grow revenue (at a cost to market share to Microsoft), and grow marketshare relative to Microsoft (at a cost to revenue). I'll say it again, from the MSFT v. DoJ trial: launching new product today requires distributing at least a million free copies to gain mindshare. Borland's going to have to divorce revenues from copies in distribution by one means or another, or they're going to have the action taken for them.

If not, then maybe it doesn't behoove *you* to lecture down to *me* quite as much as you're prone to doing, now does it? (And no cheating, now -- if you need outside help to figure out what the mumbo-jumbo is really all about, I expect you to tell us so.)
I'm not the one lecturing down, Sir Cyclic.

Take a powder and tell us all what you're getting at, 'coz this dense Murkin ain't gettin' it.
--
New Someone else make up a headline, for *me* to copy...
Karsten:
...OK, so (and I'm guessing here) but...we are agreed that this is idiotic on Borland's part then?
Yeah, sure. Haven't I said so two or three times already?

(BTW, it's "egregious"; sorry I forgot to mention that before.)

What we aren't agreeing on -- what you seem to be forgetting, or ignoring -- is that this is Borland you're dealing with here. Borland, of the No-Nonsense License (TM?), the "treat it like you would a book" guys. They have a history[*] of dealing reasonably fair with developers (their customers), and of rectifying it when they are about to fuck up. That, at least in my book, is one more reason why they don't deserve (as m)any cheap shots (as most other software companies), or wild "destry ALL copies of Borland software!" (apparently including Kahn's original-NoNonsense-licensed Turbo Pascal) over-reactions.

But, hey, just out of curiosity, how would *you* try to fight "piracy" in Borland's particular situation?
Real simple. Maybe simplistic.

I wouldn't.
Yeah, maybe... OTOH, maybe it is -- simplistic, that is.

But that's a subject for another discussion, looking at their situation per se without any preconcieved assumptions and histrionics. Let's shelve that one for a while, OK?

The simple truth is this: Borland doesn't need to worry about piracy, they need to worry about mindshare. Staying afloat and relevant. Getting people to use the prodct. Keeping the product alive.
Hey, it's not exactly as if nobody is using their product(S!) now.

Writing brain-dead licensing terms that a corporate risk manager is going to look at and say "no way, Jose", isn't going to cut it.
Huh?!? Why would a "corporate risk manager" suddenly react that way to *their* licensing terms, when he's taken 'em in his stride from everybody else (including a lot of other outfits much smaller than Microsoft) so far?

This is the song that Ed Foster at InfoWorld's been singing regardign UCITA and various EULA clauses for years.
And he's still railing against it, isn't he? He has to -- because those "corporate risk manager"s *aren't* saying "no way, Jose".

I'm definitely taking my free software biases to this, but you certainly don't have to be a free software freak to reach similar conclusions.
And I wouldn't think you *have* to be a "rabid Borland fan" to think this current spastic reaction against Borland, specifically, is a bit out of proportion.

You've snipped a fair bit of my post as irrelevant, I believe you're mistaken in doing so.
Sigh... I snipped (and commented on) that bit for two reasons: A) partly in jest; and B) partly because I thought it was obvious enough already.

Borland needs to grow, regardless of the cost.
What *is* this obsession with size... A misunderstanding of some thesis from economics, or just some general American thing?

I'll say it again, from the MSFT v. DoJ trial: launching new product today requires distributing at least a million free copies to gain mindshare.
Well, lucky for them they aren't launching any *new* product, then... (Kylix is just a port of an already existing product from Windows to Linux.) Last time they did, was when they introduced JBuilder, AFAICT.

Where'd it say that in the trial, BTW? (Honest question -- sounds interesting, but I must have missed it.)

Borland's going to have to divorce revenues from copies in distribution by one means or another, or they're going to have the action taken for them.
What, so now it's a given that the proprietary-software license-sales model is dead already? That's news to me. Do RMS and ESR know they've won? :-)

I'm not the one lecturing down, Sir Cyclic.
Oh, so you're saying that's *only* Ben?

More seriously: Then what do you call blithely claiming that "the link works" when, as demonstrated above -- you're welcome, BTW... -- it fucking well didn't?

Take a powder
And what, exactly, is that then?

tell us all what you're getting at, 'coz this dense Murkin ain't gettin' it.
The problem is, the compiler in Kylix Open Edition is the exact same one as in the Developer and Server (and, wouldn't you know it, "Enterprise") Editions.

So when the Borland Auditors show up on your doorstep, you slam the door in their faces and cry, triumphantly, "Don't come back until you have a search warrant!"... Then they go to a judge, and say they'd like one. As proof for their suspicion, they show the compiled binary you're distributing. (Let's assume there are some telltale marks in the binary that lets one identify it as compiled under Kylix.)

Then you show up, and tell the judge that *of course* your software is developed and compiled under Kylix -- you have the Open Edition; it's free for the download, and that's what you did, you say.

Case summarily dismissed.

So how are they going to get you to pay for the illicit copy of the Server Edition that you are *actually* using[+], when the only difference is the class libraries; how can they prove that that is what you're doing?

That is their dilemma, and AFAICS that is what this stupid audit clause is their attempt at solving.

[*]: A history that's looking a *little* bit shaky, from a few incidents during the last couple of years (the half-aborted Open-Source-ing of InterBase foremost among them). But still, on balance I have to say they definitely deserve the benefit of the doubt.

[+]: The same goes for the case when someone just renames all the relevant components by inheriting from them ("TMyMiddleWareThingy = class(TMiddleWareThingy);", "TMyRemoteDataServer = class(TRemoteDataServer);", etc) and then distributes the resulting binary components under some FreebieWarez license. Then others can actually use the legal Open Edition compiler and IDE -- in conjunction with these ripped-off class libraries, it effectively becomes a "pirated" copy of the more expensive version.
   Christian R. Conrad
New I still don't see the problem
If the company claims open edition then by license agreement they need to GPL their code, and Borland asks to see the full source-code for everything.

As for your description of Borland as being Mr. Nice Guy when it comes to software licensing, everyone fucks up from time to time, and that is exactly what they did here.

And the obvious answer to your corporate risk manager question is that they don't work in a vacuum. If the CEO, key users, etc are absolutely wedded to Microsoft, then the corporate risk manager will have a hard time explaining why you aren't using Microsoft software. This word processor is crappy. We have to retrain everyone we hire, and it is a constant pain converting documents for everyone else. And I don't understand this Leenooks thingy...

The result is that people who know better, who would love to tell Microsoft to take a hike, don't dare. By contrast it is much easier to junk Borland's development tools. (You want to get rid of what? Never heard of it, why do you think I care?) This is exactly the effect that makes Microsoft an 800 pound gorilla while Borland weighs in at 3 ounces. It is easier for the corporate risk manager to say, "This license stinks, we aren't going to use this." and make it stick.

Ben
     Someone' just made The Reg again... - (pwhysall) - (20)
         Sorry, but I really think the K is being a fuckwit here. -NT - (CRConrad) - (18)
             Re: Sorry, but I really think the K is being a fuckwit here. - (pwhysall)
             In what way... - (bepatient) - (16)
                 BeeP, Carg (and Karsten): Precisely *because*... - (CRConrad) - (15)
                     You are misreading - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                         Not by as much as you seem to assume. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Formulated so blandly that what? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 Well, if not "condoning"... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                     Re: Well, if not "condoning"... - (kmself) - (1)
                                         Butt out of my words with Ben, mmmkay, K? - (CRConrad)
                                     No - (ben_tilly)
                     Quotes and links - (kmself) - (7)
                         Nit: s/For Let/To Let -NT - (pwhysall)
                         Scrotes and dinks - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Pointing out the obvious - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Yup; in all fairness, gotta admit that much is true. -NT - (CRConrad)
                             Re: Scrotes and dinks - (kmself) - (2)
                                 Someone else make up a headline, for *me* to copy... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     I still don't see the problem - (ben_tilly)
         Three ounce monkey recants. Sorta. - (kmself)

GAWD have these people never used SOFTWARE before!!!!!!!!!!
72 ms