IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Falsifiable, Trueifiable
Can ID be experimentally disproven? No.

Either can evolution. Proving it didn't happen for one instance does not mean it never happened.

Can it be experimentally proven? No.

What about my "DNA pattern lab" example. That is something that could possibly boost it.

Can it be used to predict results? No.

What about the DNA pattern lab? True, finding a pattern would be a bonus rather than necessary, but it shares this trait with anthropic MU, which some consider or treat like science. We may never be able to observe or sample other universes. They may have come before ours, for example. Being able to observe other universes is simply a bonus if it happens.
An institute that finds patterns in DNA does NOT imply design. A 'seti' type institute investigating ID would only make the investigation of ID scientific; it would not make ID a scientific theory at all. One can make a scientific study of anything at all from fairies to astrology; that does not make fairies, astrology or anything between 'scientifc'.

ID just isn't science.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New fairies exist, saw one once
in the blue moon bar.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New heh, knew where that was going
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New So the teacher asks the kid
Do you have a fairy godmother?
Kid says, No but I have an uncle that we're kind of suspicious of..
New They wear boots - ya gotta believe...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New I saw it I saw it with my own two eyes
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Well all right now!

Imric's Tips for Living

New And around here they ride Harleys.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Me too...I watch Bravo....
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

If you think being anti-OOP is controversial.... - (tablizer) - (113)
         well that pretty much sinks ID :-) - (boxley) - (100)
             No, it is not a "soft" science - (ben_tilly) - (74)
                 it is a philosophy, noted soft science much like psychology - (boxley) - (73)
                     how about theology. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                         subscience of philosophy -NT - (boxley)
                     No, it isn't. - (pwhysall) - (20)
                         Is sociology a science? -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                             In places, yes. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 In part it is the same methodology - (bepatient)
                         point out differences between the examples - (boxley) - (16)
                             ID starts with a creator. - (pwhysall) - (15)
                                 Not really - (bepatient) - (14)
                                     And how is that not creationism? - (pwhysall) - (13)
                                         No. Well, sorta. - (drewk) - (4)
                                             How is a designer not a creator? -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 If the universe designed itself in a fit of recursion -NT - (ChrisR)
                                                 That's what ID people say, and why I didn't say it - (drewk)
                                             Re: No. Well, sorta. - (danreck)
                                         Minor difference - (bepatient) - (7)
                                             Same difference - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                                 No again - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                     No again - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                         Sturgeon? -NT - (jake123)
                                                         (Could be fun - with chromosomes.) -NT - (Ashton)
                                                         If there is significance to the variable names, then - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                             It's fun seeing people guess but... - (ben_tilly)
                     I feel that the other examples are not sciences either - (ben_tilly) - (48)
                         Agreed, social science might be a better descriptive - (boxley) - (47)
                             You are right that those are missing... - (ben_tilly) - (46)
                                 Not interested enough to read the literature :-) - (boxley) - (45)
                                     Thats the issue - (bepatient) - (44)
                                         Can ID be experimentally disproven? - (imric) - (43)
                                             disagree - (boxley) - (31)
                                                 Don't think so. - (imric) - (30)
                                                     if you can predict results from the patterns then - (boxley) - (29)
                                                         Nope. That's just genetics. ID is not genetics. - (imric) - (28)
                                                             Q for ID-ers: How I is the D of, say, flightless birds? -NT - (Meerkat) - (27)
                                                                 I always use hemroids. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                 gotta have something easy to catch and consume - (boxley)
                                                                 Intelligent Design is a dead give away... - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                     Don't forget the other moral of the example you are quoting - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                         Or even - - (Ashton)
                                                                 HD - Halfwit Design - (tablizer) - (21)
                                                                     ID is supernatural by definition - (pwhysall) - (20)
                                                                         That's just a fortunate side effect. -NT - (drewk) - (6)
                                                                             Not it's not. - (jake123) - (5)
                                                                                 I see I need to expand my Ministry. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                                                     I beleive he did, parts stamped made in mexico -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                         That would be where every third guy is named Jesus? - (hnick)
                                                                                         Philistine. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                                                     Damn! You mean Janis Joplin was RIGHT?!? -NT - (jb4)
                                                                         Creator need not be supernatural. May be ultra-tech aliens. -NT - (warmachine) - (11)
                                                                             And they were 'designed' to produce us, of course... -NT - (imric) - (10)
                                                                                 ID makes no assertian of the designer, designed or not. - (warmachine) - (9)
                                                                                     Except it's basic tenet . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                         That's an extrapolation of ID itself, not a basic tenet. - (warmachine)
                                                                                     Here's you task for today, grasshopper: - (jb4) - (6)
                                                                                         You forgot: bring a bodyguard - - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                             What does the Prince of Peace have to do with ID? - (jb4) - (4)
                                                                                                 Nothing at all - we're talking GOD here . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                                                                     Heard a lengthy discussion re Yahweh - - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                         look it doesnt apply to you gentiles, its a realestate - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                             DPRLCI (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                                                         Nothing wrong with a creator - (hnick)
                                             Post of the Week (and it's only Tuesday...)! - (jb4)
                                             Falsifiable, Trueifiable - (tablizer) - (9)
                                                 Patterns... Pattern institute? - (imric) - (8)
                                                     fairies exist, saw one once - (boxley) - (7)
                                                         heh, knew where that was going -NT - (bepatient)
                                                         So the teacher asks the kid - (hnick)
                                                         They wear boots - ya gotta believe... -NT - (imric) - (3)
                                                             I saw it I saw it with my own two eyes -NT - (jake123) - (1)
                                                                 Well all right now! -NT - (imric)
                                                             And around here they ride Harleys. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                         Me too...I watch Bravo.... -NT - (jb4)
                     What's in a name? - (ChrisR)
             Google 'ontological proof of god' for some pithy links - (Ashton) - (4)
                 see my answer to Ben, -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                     Unsatisfying, just word/def'n pandering. - (Ashton) - (2)
                         look, if some mook wants to look at dna - (boxley) - (1)
                             Quite right-enough - (Ashton)
             Sep. of church/state laws don't govern philosophy - (tablizer) - (19)
                 It's FRAUD if you call it science instead of philosophy. -NT - (imric) - (18)
                     then psychology is fraud -NT - (boxley) - (17)
                         This is news? -NT - (ben_tilly)
                         Soft science. - (imric)
                         That would be "Psychology is FREUD" - (imqwerky) - (14)
                             accuse me? - (boxley) - (12)
                                 No, he didn't - (Ashton)
                                 I'm still not getting the connection... - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                     Negative. - (imric) - (8)
                                         OK... - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                             OT branch - (imric) - (5)
                                                 Damn Scientologists - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                     ROFL! -NT - (imric)
                                                     Anyone catch "Last Laugh 2005" over the weekend? - (drewk) - (2)
                                                         Yep. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                             Ronnie, walking around, would scare me too... - (hnick)
                                             ICLRPD (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
                                 Not accusing you. - (imqwerky)
                             More like: Freud (pronounced: "fraud") - (jb4)
         Just saying "I think it's science"... - (pwhysall) - (2)
             ID ain't Physics. It's Meta-Physics. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 \ufffdPrecisam\ufffdnte! - and before you start in that field - (Ashton)
         intelligent design: the agenda - (rcareaga) - (5)
             And around and around.. - (Ashton)
             300 years after the Enlightenment and we still get this. -NT - (warmachine)
             This crap pisses me off - (Silverlock) - (2)
                 religion is an opiate for the sociopaths? probably -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Not just sociopaths, everybody ;0) - (mmoffitt)
         I'm not persuaded. 47 kB .img - (Another Scott)
         God-Man\ufffd explains finally.. how it works - (Ashton) - (1)
             I like the non sequitor version better - (boxley)

You are delightfully evil. Come sit by me.
115 ms