It was common knowledge decades ago (I thought), the risks of going into most any large metro hospital.. not only re the much higher chance of sharing air/surfaces with really Interesting maladies, but just for the fact that sterilization never reaches 100.0% (outside of movies with silos having an A-bomb at the base.)

Of course in certain emergencies - you do what you must.

But as for any surgery (and especially - elective) - this chimera hangs over everyone, but especially anyone who has been brought up in the A-septic household: antibiotic sprayed, slathered on every small scratch. All those ads on Tee Vee of the hospital-white kitchen; Mom standing over little Kevin with a treated towel - to restore that floor to autoclave-freshness suggest to me:

Maybe MDs are still giving in to "Ask Your Doctor if LiquiLobotomy is the Right medication to fix *your* mood disorder!" - as they've been alleged to yield often to the demands, "I want a shot of ___cillin Now!" (even for a bad cold)?

Dunno - rarely see either MD/hospital insides; maybe just the luck of the genes.
If people generally - today? don't understand about the built-in risk of all these Wonder Drugs\ufffd [and that they are for Emergency last resort], after so many A-B-C plain-English lectures about how mutations develop..?

Whacha gonna do? I guess this petition makes clear what you Don't do - suppress the old precautions along with the new results of having done that. Sounds as if there are Medico-MBAs completely in charge. (How's That for scary?)

Ain't capitalism fun - in both medicine Tee Vee ads and political propaganda [with music]?