IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Moz options
I'm not fully current on mozilla. In days past I found it was impossible to specify a mail client outside that specified by Mozilla. Tools such as muttzilla were created to answer this need (but never worked satisfactorially in my experience). The build of Mozilla I'm looking at still has more all-in-one aspects than I care for.

Mutt is transparent to this degree: it has human-readable config files, with human-readable values (unlike, say, Evolution). Options are documented. Copiously. And, I'm not aware of any functions performed outside mutt core that aren't configurable.

If you've got anything remotely resembling a point, try for a bit more relevance, Pete. We're not all snarf'n'barf, point'n'drool WIMPs like you.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New The point being...
...that on the one hand you complain that you can't get Mozilla to do what you want (turn off the chaff - which can be done from the preferences dialogue), and on the other keep telling me I should be using Mutt.

Either you want usability at the expense of power (hell, nothing stops you editing the XUL files to make Mozilla look *exactly* like what you want) or you don't.

prefs.js is in JavaScript, is human-readable and furthermore, Mozilla is extensible - witness muttzilla. I'm not seeing your point here. If you want a barebones browser, use Galeon (which comes configured to use Mutt as its mail client). If you're really that bothered about Evul Bloatware, use w3m.

My system Muttrc is 81211 bytes long, has things like "macro index \\eb '/~b ' 'search in message bodies'" in it, and seemingly can't be configured from inside Mutt.

Case in point -- I wanted to quickly set Mutt up to look at three sources of mail : my ISP-provided POP3 mailbox, my IMAP connection to my email at work, and the local mail spool - all this so that I could easily check my mail over an SSH connection. At least I won't have the pain of discovering that Mutt can't send mail directly to an SMTP server, as I have a running exim here.

Apparently I'm supposed to grep an 80k config file to figure this stuff out, or else copy someone else's and twiddle it until it fits my needs.

And we're in WHAT year?

The brutal point is that the Mozilla browser is of necessity trying to be all things to all people -- it's the showcase application of the Mozilla development platform and therefore it HAS to encompass all this good stuff. As noted before, Galeon, K-Meleon and whatever the KDE Gecko thing is called are there if you don't want it.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Re: ...the sharp bit at the end
There's configurability and there's sane defaults. Mozilla doesn't provide sane defaults. I've said it's getting better about the various preferences and configuration settings, but it's chasing taillights in this regard, not leading the pack. The all-in-one design is certianly breakage from Netscape's proprietary past (I've got an unwritten essay on why the office suite is dead).

The user-orientation of Galeon simply blows Mozilla away. Mozilla keeps getting in your way -- open a link in a tab, you're transported to that tab (Galeon opens it behind the current window, if you're browsing links in a page, you're welcome to continue doing so). You want to jump to a new tab? Preferences => User Interface => Tabs => Jump to new tabs automatically. That's Galeon. Equivalent Mozilla control? Oh, it's the "load links in background" checkbox. Not the world's greatest description. Read it three times (in two seperate sessions) before I was inclined to try it out.

Mutt is a one-trick pony, er, dog. It's a mail client. It has some rudimentary support for various connection methods, but you'll typically use another tool to do same -- an MUA for retrieval (eg: fetchmail), and an MTA for sending (eg: exim).

I don't use IMAP (I may, I'd like to try out a few mailers, and seperating content from interface will streamline the process). IMAP support is admittedly one of the weaknesses of mutt, and multi-user support (you have different "personalities" for different mailboxes) a frequently aired complaint. Not sure if there is a good solution or not, or if that's what you're looking for.

Otherwise, your basic solution is: local mail spool is checked by default (or better: procmailed to your mailbox under $HOME), likewise your POPD account is fetched via fetchmail. IMAP support should, if I'm reading things right, be pointed at by "imap://hostname/mailbox" as a mailbox specification. There are folder hooks which can set various configurations. Yes, getting a .muttrc from someone probably wouldn't hurt. I'd be inclined to think, however, that authenticated user access to multiple systems is inherently more complex than the simple task of browsing web pages.

There's a reason, though, to the single-use, solid-design, human-readable configuration, philosophy of Unix. It keeps shit simple. Programmers can get their heads around the problem. You decide you don't like mutt, drop elm, pine (ugh!), Sylpheed, Netscape Mail, mailx, mh, or Aileron in its place. You don't have to jigger with the other components of your mail configuration -- exim, procmail, and fetchmail don't give a shit. Try that with MS Outlook (locked into Exchange) or Evolution (I don't know what's going to break, but suspect something will). Design problems of Mozilla (how does a user add themes or plugins again -- oh yeah, you gotta be root) are among the reasons its packaging for Debian is gimpy -- the architectures just plain fucked up.

My point earlier in this thread: Galeon gives me what I need, easily and stays the fuck out of my face

Mozilla's flying in the face of this at its own peril. There is, BTW, no reason why a suite of products couldn't provide the same functionality as an integrated browser / mailer / newsreader / editor. OpenOffice has fucked up in the same way by providing an integrated executable, and is desperately trying to undo the damage (my assessment: they won't succeed in doing so, for at least the next three to four years). Your "brutal point" fell out of a horse's ass.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Now now
Do we have to separate you two? :-)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Sure, send Karsten to Samoa or Peter to Afghanistan. :)
That's without looking at the globe.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
     Some browser benchmarks - (scoenye) - (19)
         Interesting. Thanks for posting the results! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: Some browser benchmarks - (pwhysall)
         Mozilla 0.9.6 - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Did you compile that ? - (scoenye) - (4)
                 Re: Did you compile that ? - (pwhysall)
                 Re: Did you compile that ? - (folkert)
                 La(s)t(est) result - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Re: La(s)t(est) result - (folkert)
         Galeon, size, why bother - (kmself) - (8)
             Eh? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Moz options - (kmself) - (4)
                     The point being... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         Re: ...the sharp bit at the end - (kmself) - (2)
                             Now now - (static) - (1)
                                 Sure, send Karsten to Samoa or Peter to Afghanistan. :) - (a6l6e6x)
             A lot of baggage for a clean interface... - (scoenye)
             Ahhh all better - (folkert)
         Online refs? - (kmself) - (1)
             Hopefully here... - (scoenye)

This is to prove I can paint like Titian.
50 ms