Law.com is one of the more consistently fucked up websites I've encountered, from basic usability and legibility. It seems to be getting slightly better -- I can read three of the last four pages I've looked at -- but there are still some screwed up elements -- a search button that appears directly over text.

The problem is gross abuse of the DIV tag. The page is forcing absolute placement of elements, which simply doesn't work if screen element proportions aren't identical to those used by the site's designer. I've used tidy to convert the div statements to CSS stylesheet elements, and modified attributes of the DIV element to modify placement of page elements.

The problem is that the page commits the sin of absolute page layout. While CSS can resolve some similar issues, there's no general rule which can fix this particular page. Various attempts -- changing positional handling, disabling 'top/bottom/left/right' attributes, etc., don't help display this page any better.

Fundamentally, it looks like a (poor-quality) lawyer's mentality's come to play: an attempt to dictate terms too rigidly has resulted in something which neither fits the original intent nor the needs of the reader.