IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Logout?
I don't visit quicken.com, but most sites provide some sort of "log out" feature. If Quicken does, you should be able to use that to at least get back to where you can input your old username/password.
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Re: Quicken is odd

I solved the problem by removing cookies.txt from Netscape for me as user. Boy was that thing *full* of mouldie cookies.

I am now going to set my Netscape to reject cookies, those things tell people about every major & minor site you visit. The
worrying thing was all the *xxx* *sex* cookies that I found there Hmmmmmm

Was an interesting exercise lookin at the file.

Cheers

Doug
New Aye, indeed
Going through cookies files is an interesting exercise.

Is there something you're not telling us about your browsing habits with all those *xxx* and *sex* cookies in there? Hmmm?

Mozilla also has a neat feature that allows you to let some cookies stay on your machine, yet block others. It requires manually looking at the cookies your mozilla has stored (Tasks | Privacy & Security | Cookie Manager). Click the "Don't allow removed cookies to be reaccepted later" checkbox.
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New xxx
Naw.

Most of those get set by banner ads.

I've picked up a few of those, and pretty much all I visit is here, news, gaming, and hardware sites. My wife used to freak until I was able to demonstrate it to her in action...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Really?
At work, I have no xxx or sex cookies.

At home, I'm trying to find the damn cookie settings in Mozilla 0.96. "Documentation" (hah hah puke) is a bit lacking.

If you are visiting a site that has banner ads setting xxx or sex cookies, you are visiting a site that sucks. IMO. No reputable site would accept ads from sex sites (and you'd be crazy to accept cookies from such such sites, obviously.)
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
Expand Edited by wharris2 Dec. 13, 2001, 09:43:50 PM EST
New Why not?
As a business decision, if I've got The Register wanting to pay $50 a month for my ad space, or Danni's Hard Drive willing to pay $150 a month for the same space....Why would I want to turn down Danni's Hard Drive?
-YendorMike

New Re: Why not?
For the same business reasons. If The Reputable Web Site displays a banner ad for a sex site, it'll presumably either be innocuous (so you don't know where you're going and might click on it thinking it was something else) or it's going to be lurid (so you do know where you're going but then its presence on that page probably violates many/most company web usage policies.) In either case, the likelihood of me visiting The Reputable Web Site's page decreases.

And that's even without setting a xxx or sex cookie.

With that said, no doubt you'll be able to show me where some reputable site such as Tom's Hardware Guide or The Register or Blue's News does this and I've never noticed. :=)
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
Expand Edited by wharris2 Dec. 14, 2001, 10:29:51 AM EST
New Nah.
Just playing Devil's Advocate.
-YendorMike

New Bows to Mr. Devil :=)
-- Donald Knuth
     Help!!! (re Cookies) - (dmarker2) - (17)
         On Netscape default installation... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Re: On Netscape default installation... - (dmarker2)
             Re: S'ok - found em as well .. - (dmarker2)
         Logout? - (Yendor) - (8)
             Re: Quicken is odd - (dmarker2) - (7)
                 Aye, indeed - (Yendor) - (6)
                     xxx - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                         Really? - (wharris2) - (4)
                             Why not? - (Yendor) - (3)
                                 Re: Why not? - (wharris2) - (2)
                                     Nah. - (Yendor) - (1)
                                         Bows to Mr. Devil :=) -NT - (wharris2)
         Oblig cookie rant - (wharris2) - (4)
             Back-arrow &$&%#* disabling - - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Disable javascript - (drewk) - (1)
                     Not IE. Also - JS is on only rarely. Tryin K-meleon next :-) -NT - (Ashton)
             Bad lawyer, no cookie - (kmself)

Uno? My brain hurts. And I'm out of milk, so the coffee's not a happening thing. Pout.
57 ms