IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As others have pointed out, that is Opera's fault
The relevant standards to make Ajax work are several years old. What is new is that developers have decided that the installed base is big enough to actually try to take advantage of them.

Microsoft actually doesn't like this, because the applications coming out are smooth enough that they can replace desktop applications, and there is no tie-in to Windows here.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New What's funny about that
is that MS was one of the early adopters with their Outlook web client. They did a great job of reproducing the desktop experience. In some ways they exceeded the desktop app (not that this is any real trick).

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Re: What's funny about that
In what way did they exceed the desktop app? I use OWA regularly and detest it because it's cack. I'd be interested to know if it's got hidden depths.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
     Dynamic web apps vs rich clients - (bluke) - (53)
         I hope it does. - (pwhysall)
         I'm telling ya, gotta move back to VB/Delphi model - (tablizer) - (40)
             Yeah. - (pwhysall) - (38)
                 Try this. - (mmoffitt)
                 Well, if we can fiat SCGUI into existence... - (ChrisR)
                 I meant in general -NT - (tablizer) - (35)
                     The idea sucks in general, too. -NT - (pwhysall) - (34)
                         you were vague on why it "sucked" -NT - (tablizer) - (33)
                             I have a Mac. Or a Linux box. Or an Amiga. Or a toaster. - (pwhysall) - (32)
                                 Cross-platform is an implementation detail -NT - (tablizer) - (5)
                                     A detail that requires... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         But not RealBasic. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     The point is... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         For varying- and IMO insufficient- def'ns of "sufficiently". -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                             What is that you can't do in a web browser... - (pwhysall)
                                 Bullshit. - (CRConrad) - (25)
                                     You're so LITERAL, CRC. - (pwhysall) - (24)
                                         Yeah, well, sorry; we can't all be illiterate, I guess... - (CRConrad) - (23)
                                             Re: Yeah, well, sorry; we can't all be illiterate, I guess.. - (admin) - (12)
                                                 Most sub-giga-RAM boxes I've used J-apps on, it's still SLOW -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                     Just like there are bad UIs in some VB programs... -NT - (admin)
                                                 Slow at what? - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                                     Re: Slow at what? - (admin) - (6)
                                                         OpenOffice Win32 is a turtle. :-( - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                             I'm not talking about Windows. - (admin) - (4)
                                                                 Your IDEA launches considerably faster than mine - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                                     He is TEH ADMIN, remember. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                     Must be your encouraging mental field... -NT - (admin)
                                                 Not slow? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                     Yeah, that's bad code. - (admin)
                                             So, to summarise: - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 Which VB? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                     Ask CRC, he's the one with a stiffy for it :-) -NT - (pwhysall)
                                             Eat shit, a billion flies can't be wrong - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                 Sheesh, man... it's obvious that some of us can, though. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                     I can read just fine. - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                         Yep, I still think so. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                             You've clearly not encountered that line before - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                 Oh, POAD, you whiney ars...rectum. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                     Definitely not before I could read... - (ben_tilly)
             Notice how the mention of Turing pins everyone's bogometer -NT - (FuManChu)
         Going for the extinguish part? - (warmachine) - (9)
             Have you used gmail or google maps? - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                 Alas, Opera ain't fully supported - (warmachine) - (6)
                     Microsoft is developing Ajax? Buh? - (admin)
                     You mean that Opera doesn't fully support standards - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Question about JS and Firefox (new thread) - (jb4)
                     As others have pointed out, that is Opera's fault - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         What's funny about that - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             Re: What's funny about that - (pwhysall)
                 NONONONONO - (pwhysall)
         Shrug...rich clients aren't going anywhere - (Simon_Jester)

What was that "kneejerk" emoticon again?
238 ms