IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You mean that Opera doesn't fully support standards
is what you mean.

My job at big river books is to roll this kind of dynamic stuff out soon. Right now our coverage is IE 6+ and Firefox 0.9+ and that's it. That's all I have resources to qualify. Given the bugginess of IE its been a lot of effort to get two browsers supported but the size of its user population makes it justifiable. I expect we will qualify Safari in the next couple months (it seems to "just work")and will expend effort to support that one too as it is the primary browser for a growing platform.

We do not expect to expend effort to make our JS work with Opera, Konqueror, iCab, or any other browser. We are checking user agent and simply vending non-js versions of stuff if a browser is not in our supported stack.

Word to the alternative browser makers and users. Make your stuff rigidly adhere to web standards if you want to remain viable - otherwise we will likely start putting links to supported browsers on pages you fetch with unsupported ones.

Its long past time for people to expect site developers to "support" anything but what is published at w3c.org. By the end of the year, I am expecting all non-legacy pages to pass validation at [link|http://validator.w3.org|http://validator.w3.org]. (Don't even try it on our homepage now - it is to cry to do so).

But talk of "supporting" buggy browsers is counter productive. The browsers should "support" us.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Question about JS and Firefox (new thread)
Created as new thread #201409 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=201409|Question about JS and Firefox]
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

Dynamic web apps vs rich clients - (bluke) - (53)
         I hope it does. - (pwhysall)
         I'm telling ya, gotta move back to VB/Delphi model - (tablizer) - (40)
             Yeah. - (pwhysall) - (38)
                 Try this. - (mmoffitt)
                 Well, if we can fiat SCGUI into existence... - (ChrisR)
                 I meant in general -NT - (tablizer) - (35)
                     The idea sucks in general, too. -NT - (pwhysall) - (34)
                         you were vague on why it "sucked" -NT - (tablizer) - (33)
                             I have a Mac. Or a Linux box. Or an Amiga. Or a toaster. - (pwhysall) - (32)
                                 Cross-platform is an implementation detail -NT - (tablizer) - (5)
                                     A detail that requires... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         But not RealBasic. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     The point is... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         For varying- and IMO insufficient- def'ns of "sufficiently". -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                             What is that you can't do in a web browser... - (pwhysall)
                                 Bullshit. - (CRConrad) - (25)
                                     You're so LITERAL, CRC. - (pwhysall) - (24)
                                         Yeah, well, sorry; we can't all be illiterate, I guess... - (CRConrad) - (23)
                                             Re: Yeah, well, sorry; we can't all be illiterate, I guess.. - (admin) - (12)
                                                 Most sub-giga-RAM boxes I've used J-apps on, it's still SLOW -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                     Just like there are bad UIs in some VB programs... -NT - (admin)
                                                 Slow at what? - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                                     Re: Slow at what? - (admin) - (6)
                                                         OpenOffice Win32 is a turtle. :-( - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                             I'm not talking about Windows. - (admin) - (4)
                                                                 Your IDEA launches considerably faster than mine - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                                     He is TEH ADMIN, remember. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                     Must be your encouraging mental field... -NT - (admin)
                                                 Not slow? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                     Yeah, that's bad code. - (admin)
                                             So, to summarise: - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 Which VB? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                     Ask CRC, he's the one with a stiffy for it :-) -NT - (pwhysall)
                                             Eat shit, a billion flies can't be wrong - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                 Sheesh, man... it's obvious that some of us can, though. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                     I can read just fine. - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                         Yep, I still think so. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                             You've clearly not encountered that line before - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                 Oh, POAD, you whiney ars...rectum. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                     Definitely not before I could read... - (ben_tilly)
             Notice how the mention of Turing pins everyone's bogometer -NT - (FuManChu)
         Going for the extinguish part? - (warmachine) - (9)
             Have you used gmail or google maps? - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                 Alas, Opera ain't fully supported - (warmachine) - (6)
                     Microsoft is developing Ajax? Buh? - (admin)
                     You mean that Opera doesn't fully support standards - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Question about JS and Firefox (new thread) - (jb4)
                     As others have pointed out, that is Opera's fault - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         What's funny about that - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             Re: What's funny about that - (pwhysall)
                 NONONONONO - (pwhysall)
         Shrug...rich clients aren't going anywhere - (Simon_Jester)

Compatible with our orbiting brain lasers.
104 ms