IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I prefer "try before you buy"
and you say just go to Amazon.com to hear samples...

Okay, then, doing it your way: I'll go to Amazon's website, search for a BAND OR COMEDIAN THAT I'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE, OR EVEN KNOW EXISTS, randomly picking a link for an album listing to listen to a clip, and buy it based upon that.

You can't be proposing that, are you? Really?

I prefer better information before making a purchase, and I don't think I'm exaggerating by saying that a super-majority of the population does too. If the clip available at Amazon gives you enough exposure to something to convince you to buy it, then that's your way; it isn't mine.

Regarding Peter's comments: he berates me by saying I INTEND to violate copyright. I didn't know that he was a mind reader from 5000 miles away. Not my intention at all, just an end result during acquisition of many things not available through other outlets (think "bootleg records" from the 60s and 70s as an example). But he tops it off by saying that I'm so out-of-date by going to newsgroups, and I should use BitTorrent, the Peter Whysall approved way to violate copyrights. Hypocrisy, plain and simple.
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New This shouldn't be complex
You. Are. Violating. Copyrights.

You. Intend. To. Do. Something. That. Violates. Copyrights.

Therefore. You. Intend. To. Violate. Copyrights.

Period.

Violating copyrights is not your end goal. Understood. You have a justification for violating copyrights. Understood. You think that that justification is good enough for you to do it. All of these are understood.

But you're clearly intentionally violating the law. No matter how much you think that you're in the right, under the law it isn't your decision. End of story.

As for Amazon, if you hadn't noticed they have a recommendation scheme. It may not be perfect, but it is intended to help people look for stuff that they'll like and might not know about. It is almost like Amazon wants you to find out about these people. Amazing, huh?

Incidentally there is a nice essay about this at [link|http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/tail.html|http://www.wired.com...e/12.10/tail.html].

Now maybe you find out about more people with your current strategy. I won't deny that ignoring copyrights entirely leads to more browsing and often more buying. Perhaps there are people you won't find on Amazon that you're encountering.

But it isn't ludicrous to suggest Amazon as a way to discover people that you don't know you'll like. They've deliberately set themselves up to make it reasonably easy to do that. Without violating copyright.

On the other hand it is ludicrous to maintain that your excuses for violating copyright somehow mean that you don't intend to go out and violate copyright. Unless you're 15 and don't have a clear understanding of the difference between, "This is what the law says" and "This is what I want to believe that the law says". Even then you'd still be wrong to maintain it.

Regards,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Ah say, ah say, that was a JOKE, son!
I know you people aren't terribly good at detecting irony, but that was particularly impressive.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New As I said before
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=186926|post #186926], we need a sign for that!
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New bootleg records, 70's/friend 1-5 for selling them
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
New What - if anything - does that mean?
New I think I know.
bootleg records, 70's/friend 1-5 for selling them

"A fellow I knew in the 1970s was caught selling bootleg records. He was arrested and put on trial. He was ultimately found guilty and sentenced to 1 to 5 years in prison."

Am I close?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Pretty good match with my Boxish to English translation. :)
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New "Friend of mine got 1-5 yrs for selling bootlegs in the 70s"
So why the fuck didn't you write THAT, "daemon", you stupid fuck?!?

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Kind of like reverse polish notation
Box is stacked based
New Dunno about "stacked"...
...he certainly writes like he's loaded.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New :-)
Anyone who has passed through the regular gradations of a classical education, and is not made a fool by it, may consider himself as having had a very narrow escape: Samuel Butler
clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
New Ya shouldn't a went and said that...
Now look what chew went and did!
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

SBC fucks me in the ass - (lincoln) - (87)
         If you can get them, go with Speakeasy. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             Oh, and make sure SBC uses lube next time, too. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         I sympathise and not all at once. - (pwhysall) - (82)
             Not necessarily. - (imric) - (2)
                 Re: Not necessarily. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     *smile* - (imric)
             Re: "Usenet is so 1996" - (lincoln) - (78)
                 Actually you DO want to violate copyright - (ben_tilly) - (77)
                     I prefer "try before you buy" - (lincoln) - (12)
                         This shouldn't be complex - (ben_tilly)
                         Ah say, ah say, that was a JOKE, son! - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             As I said before - (lincoln)
                         bootleg records, 70's/friend 1-5 for selling them -NT - (daemon) - (8)
                             What - if anything - does that mean? -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                 I think I know. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                     Pretty good match with my Boxish to English translation. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                     "Friend of mine got 1-5 yrs for selling bootlegs in the 70s" - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                         Kind of like reverse polish notation - (broomberg) - (3)
                                             Dunno about "stacked"... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                 :-) -NT - (daemon)
                                             Ya shouldn't a went and said that... - (jb4)
                     www.allmusic.com - (pwhysall) - (63)
                         Maybe a list of your favorites would help too. - (Another Scott) - (62)
                             At least YOU understand - (lincoln) - (61)
                                 We all UNDERSTAND; you just don't want to ADMIT Ben is right -NT - (CRConrad) - (60)
                                     YOU UNDERSTAND NOTHING - (lincoln) - (59)
                                         Well, the analogy is a bit over the top... - (ChrisR)
                                         Right? No, wrong, as usual. ('Cause you're not only cheap... - (CRConrad)
                                         Full points for creativity - (ben_tilly) - (24)
                                             A query on the premise. - (static) - (5)
                                                 Not bloody likely. Willing to bet 95%+ copyright violations. -NT - (n3jja) - (4)
                                                     Not everything there violates copyright - (lincoln) - (3)
                                                         Did I say everything? Learn to fucking read. - (n3jja) - (2)
                                                             I never said they NEED alt.binaries - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                                 You really do need a Glass Navel, don't you? - (n3jja)
                                             You "suppose" a lot - (lincoln) - (3)
                                                 Silly question for you - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                     Are you for fucking real??? - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                         More so than you, apparently. -NT - (n3jja)
                                             tell me Ben_Tilly - (lincoln) - (13)
                                                 I find myself in a difficult position - (broomberg) - (7)
                                                     I'm arguning "A" and they're arguing "B" - (lincoln)
                                                     Hey, this is Flame Quarantine. - (Another Scott)
                                                     You'll note that this is not a court - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                         And he already knows the answer to that. - (n3jja) - (3)
                                                             Neither will Ben_Tilly - (lincoln) - (2)
                                                                 I'm thinking of three words.... Pot... Kettle.....Black.... -NT - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                                     meself, Two vessels and a color; Pot, Kettle, Day-Glo Orange -NT - (folkert)
                                                 Of course I have - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                     There you go again - (lincoln) - (3)
                                                         The distinction between the intent and the act... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             And you're an arrogant limesucker - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                                 Didn't we establish that you're an idiot? - (pwhysall)
                                         Worst. Analogy. Ever. -NT - (pwhysall) - (31)
                                             I thought car analogies took that prize. -NT - (Another Scott) - (29)
                                                 They did. Linc just took that shark and jumped it with this. -NT - (pwhysall) - (28)
                                                     Oh, ok. Congrats Lincoln! >:-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     Go use BitTorrent you encephalous lout! -NT - (lincoln) - (26)
                                                         I do :-) - (pwhysall) - (25)
                                                             Nice URL name - (lincoln) - (24)
                                                                 Read the site, shithead. - (pwhysall) - (23)
                                                                     So according to you - (lincoln) - (22)
                                                                         Deja vu! - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                             READ ME IN MY POSTS! -NT - (folkert)
                                                                         Yawn. - (Another Scott) - (19)
                                                                             I'm sorry... - (admin) - (18)
                                                                                 Yeah. I know. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                                                                                     go Ouaga yourself :-) -NT - (daemon)
                                                                                     They are? - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                                                                                         Deja vu? #192151. I don't think the coal fire was intended.. -NT - (Another Scott) - (14)
                                                                                             The worst fires aren't intended... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                                                                                                 Yes, but if the arsonists return to the scene over and over - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                                                                     But who is Bill Murray? (And what lesson?) -NT - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                                                                                         Eh? 27kB - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                                                             I meant in this flame war -NT - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                                                                                                 The flaming participants. -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                                                                                     Which *one* of us? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                                                                                         Could fit several, perhaps. Why do you ask? -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                                                                             Very simply... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                                                                                 Dunno. I'm a little dense sometimes. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                                                     You might be pretty (?)___decidedly not demure___:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                                 If we're choosing sides in Groundhog Day ... - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                                                                     No. marlowe can be Ned though. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                     well either side isnt bored with it yet :-) -NT - (daemon)
                                             Then create one yourself - (lincoln)
         get customer service on the line - (daemon) - (1)
             Good advice! -NT - (imric)

My other car got stolen by Ashton.
412 ms