IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New May be it's a hindsight thing
but it seems to me that it took me less time and less effort to understand C, C++ and STL that it takes me to understand Perl. My "*shudder*" was not based on Todd's code, but rather on your code. As you say yourself, in Perl you have to be aware of the context at all times, and it's hard to stay aware because most of the time it "just works". In C++ I don't have such problem. May be because it became a second nature to me so long ago. Then again, in Smalltalk, I don't have such problem either. Probably because those languages don't try to magically do what I mean in most cases.
--

... a reference to Presidente Arbusto.
-- [link|http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001417.html|Geoffrey K. Pullum]
New It could be many things
I know that when I learned to program in Perl, the course seemed much smoother than when I set out to learn other languages later. But then I realized that there were several factors:
  1. I misremember how long I took to learn Perl. It feels like I picked up the book and was writing it fluently a few weeks later. But I know that there were important parts of the language that I learned a lot later.

2. When I was a baby in Perl, I tried to do baby-like things with it and succeeded. Now when I look at new languages, I over-reach. I immediately try to do things that I know how to do in Perl, and don't know enough to do them.

3. When I learned Perl there was a constant feeling of accomplishment because I didn't know any way to easily do what I just learned. In other languages that sense is gone because whatever I just learned, I already knew how to do.

As for context, I think that it is important to know about context, but ideally it sinks into being a reflex. It's handled by the same part of your brain that handles grammar and knows when, for instance, you have to switch from past to present to future tense. Certainly I am not conciously aware of thinking about context, though I can tell you what is going on with it at any given moment.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Perl frustrations - (tuberculosis) - (45)
         Simple solution - (ben_tilly) - (10)
             Bleh. - (admin) - (3)
                 That's because you approached it wrong - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     I'm gradually warming up to it - (deSitter)
                     That should be in the man page. - (static)
             Is this a sort of typecasting? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 It's a reference -NT - (Simon_Jester)
                 Sort of - (ben_tilly)
             Interesting.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                 The solution would have its own problems - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     <bow> thank you. -NT - (Simon_Jester)
         THank you for stepping on this rake - (Arkadiy) - (33)
             He was overcomplicating it - (ben_tilly) - (32)
                 Well, maybe - (tuberculosis) - (17)
                     Agreed - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                         Agree its a mistake - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                             Same here. - (admin)
                             Right - (ben_tilly)
                             Shame about the inertia. Python's design is "least surprise" - (FuManChu) - (12)
                                 When I started with Perl... - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                     On Perl 6 - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                         Re: On Perl 6 - (Yendor)
                                         I had a nice response to this typed up - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             Many thanks for that - (pwhysall)
                                     We're having a little brown bag on Ruby - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                         Re: We're having a little brown bag on Ruby - (JimWeirich) - (3)
                                             Shhh! Anonymous Todd works at some other... - (CRConrad)
                                             I might have been there - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                 Re: I might have been there - (JimWeirich)
                                     Re: strict -- have you seen pychecker? - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                         No I hadn't, thanks - (ben_tilly)
                 BTW Arkadiy, I'm still waiting for a response - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                     I am not saying it's shorter in C... - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                         And now for my real comment - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             May be it's a hindsight thing - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                 It could be many things - (ben_tilly)
                         I don't know - multimap - (Simon_Jester) - (6)
                             Re: I don't know - multimap - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                                 Why the worry about efficiency? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                     I worry about efficiency - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                         Ah - (ben_tilly)
                                     C vs Perl - efficiency - untrue for me - (broomberg) - (1)
                                         Point - but you may want to rebenchmark - (ben_tilly)
                     Here's a smalltalk version - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Yes, think of a reference as a pointer - (ben_tilly)

You can put makeup on a pig. It's still a pig.
85 ms