IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Somewhat OT: world flood
This past week there was a National Geographic show on PBS (so it must be true :)) about what is now the Black Sea and how it was once a much smaller fresh water lake that was rapidly flooded from the Med around 5500 BC. It is thought likely to be the cataclysmic event that has been passed down to us as Noah's flood.

[link|http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2000/12/122800blacksea.html|National Geographic link.]
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New There are no shortage of candidates...
for a local flood that could give rise to stories of the Great Flood. The flooding of the Black Sea. The eruption of Thera. There is even evidence of an asteroid impact crater.

Plenty of devout Christians I have known believe that the Old Testament is a humanly recorded history of a people who had encounters with the Divine. There is no conflict between believing that the history created and maintained by people is fallible, and believing that it documents extraordinary events. And as soon as you open the door for this belief, you open up all sorts of possible reconciliations between science and the Bible. A particularly commonly cited one being that a local flood could give rise to the story of Noah's Ark.

Of course as soon as you think that the record is fallible, there are all sorts of difficult questions about what in particular is likely to be wrong. Fundamentalists generally don't like questions like these. It is far more convenient to just have the Revealed Truth which you can use to club backsliders and atheists with...

Cheers,
Ben
     Troglodytes alive in Alabama. - (a6l6e6x) - (56)
         S'OK Massa: I'd like to see some stickers too - - (Ashton)
         I put one like that on my copy of Meyer's OOSC2 - (tablizer) - (1)
             Math got Gallileo[sic?] into trouble - (jb4)
         Whilst it remains controversial... - (static) - (47)
             But it's *not* controversial. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 Well, no it is, actually. - (static) - (1)
                     No it isn't. - (pwhysall)
                 Re: But it's *not* controversial. - (a6l6e6x)
                 Correction: - (tonytib)
             It is NOT controversial - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 It's a M/Soft kinda thing, isn't it? - (Ashton)
             And out of the woodwork they come! - (static) - (38)
                 "Problems", sure, but that's not 'coz it's "controversial". - (CRConrad) - (26)
                     I guess it's very POV specific. Makes it hard to agree. -NT - (static) - (23)
                         Nope, it's quite simple, non-POV-specific, and universal: - (CRConrad) - (22)
                             That is going too far - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 Sigh... Bend over backwards in your own posts; dont tack... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     Reasonableness is in the eye of the beholder - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         My take. - (Brandioch)
                             Creation as a scientific theory - (tablizer) - (17)
                                 But how does the Great Turtle move? - (Silverlock) - (16)
                                     Waiting for Val. - (Brandioch)
                                     In the beginning, there was this turtle... - (bepatient) - (13)
                                         Or was it.. - (bepatient)
                                         I was hoping there was at least... - (jb4) - (11)
                                             Check your PBS listings for end November, early December - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                 WWWWWOOOOWWWWW!! - (jb4) - (9)
                                                     I already have it programmed to tape :-) - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                         If ya think of it BeeP, please give a shout later.. - (Ashton) - (7)
                                                             I shall try to remember... - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                 "Deep in December, it's nice to remember..." - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                                     Damn CRC.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                         Afghan Hell, Afghan Hell, Bombing all the way... - (Meerkat)
                                                                 So.......when is it??? -NT - (jb4) - (2)
                                                                     Oh...alright... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                         Thank you...So marked! -NT - (jb4)
                                     The Turtle Moves! - (ben_tilly)
                     I dunno, Sir Cyclic... - (jb4) - (1)
                         I can see you didn't see: "Brassed Off" !! (ie: wrong!) - (Ashton)
                 Better asked, how can I put this? - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                     Well there is a way for the earth to be new - (boxley) - (1)
                         Every new toy is made out of old stuff. :-) - (ben_tilly)
                     Somewhat OT: world flood - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         There are no shortage of candidates... - (ben_tilly)
                     You're arguing the wrong point. - (static) - (5)
                         Some of the conclusions that *what* arrives at? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             Yep. Precisely. In spades. Most definitely. - (static) - (3)
                                 "IWETHEY's Terrible Horde of Enigmatic Yammerers." Proof! - (Ashton)
                                 Quite possibly... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     Ah. Noted. - (static)
             Let's take a different tack... - (Another Scott)
         Agreement from the Annals of Improbable Research - (drewk) - (4)
             OT for Drew - (Silverlock) - (3)
                 Sure - (drewk) - (2)
                     Not a size problem - (Silverlock) - (1)
                         It's just forwarding - (drewk)

This is the price one pays for eating human flesh.
122 ms