IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New eh? LOTR is time spent away from drudge (reporting or work)
I have read it many times. If I spent as much time reading Torah as I did re-reading LOTR then I would be a very religious person. Its timeless fantasy. It is the read that refreshes.
thanx,.
bill
Anchorage AK: House for sale 3 bed 1 bath 1440 sq feet huge lot near Cheney Lake 175K FSBO 813.273.3518
I wondered what Darwinian moment had to effect itself before we devolved from children flying paper flags in the sky to half formed creatures thundering in a wall of horns down the road to Roncevaux. James Lee Burke
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New just never warmed up to this kind of fantasy
I am very interested however in the social aspect of this "phenomenon". Clearly something in it resonates with people everywhere, and smart ones at that.
-drl
New not so much fantasy as much as the world circa 400 AD
as we'un would like to fantasize.
thanx.
bill
Anchorage AK: House for sale 3 bed 1 bath 1440 sq feet huge lot near Cheney Lake 175K FSBO 813.273.3518
I wondered what Darwinian moment had to effect itself before we devolved from children flying paper flags in the sky to half formed creatures thundering in a wall of horns down the road to Roncevaux. James Lee Burke
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Simple
Its popular because its good.

I happen to agree that it is one of the finest works of the previous century. With that, it had a huge readership base that, in turn, fueled the movie's popularity.

Quit making excuses and read it.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Let's let Tolkien defend fantasy in his own words
This is from a letter that he wrote to a reader defending his telling of fairy-stories:

\ufffdDear Sir,\ufffd I said\ufffdAlthough now long estranged,
Man is not wholly lost nor wholly changed.
Dis-graced he may be, yet is not de-throned,
and keeps the rags of lordship once he owned:
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light
through whom is splintered from a single White
to many hues, and endlessly combined
in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
Though all the crannies of the world we filled
with Elves and Goblins, though we dared to build
Gods and their houses out of dark and light,
and sowed the seed of dragons\ufffd'twas our right
(used or misused). That right has not decayed:
we make still by the law in which we're made.\ufffd

Quoted in [link|http://larsen-family.us/~1066/onfairystories.html|On Fairy-Stories], which itself is a decent explanation of what Tolkien thought of fantasy, and his explanation of why fantasy has been so neglected in English literature.

Ironically he predicted that the Lord of the Rings would always be a failure as a dramatic performance. He was at least somewhat right - to the extent that the movie succeeded it was because the movie makers recognized as Tolkien did what couldn't be done, and consequently left out most of the tapestry that made up Tolkien's world. However it is also clear that movies today can partially transcend the limitations of drama.

But I'll let you read his critique of his life's interest for yourself. I've already read it, and know that communicating what it says to me is beyond my abilities. I can repeat disjointed lessons that I've taken from it, but not the whole picture that it presents on how our imagination and personal stories take internal shape when we least expect it to.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
     What is the "Lord of the Rings" about? - (deSitter) - (39)
         Step One. - (static) - (6)
             No. - (deSitter) - (5)
                 Oh, really? - (CRConrad)
                 Then I shan't tell you what it's about. :-) -NT - (static)
                 I consider it to be among the best things written - (imric)
                 OK, what is the last 900 pages book - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                     Re: OK, what is the last 900 pages book - (deSitter)
         Money -NT - (drewk)
         Rings. -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Lords -NT - (broomberg) - (2)
                 Profit! -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                     The trilogy is about The Ferengis? :-D -NT - (lincoln)
         Good and Evil, Friendship, Power, stuff like that. - (Another Scott) - (18)
             Attention folks, this is the right answer - (deSitter) - (16)
                 Er... - (admin) - (2)
                     Re: Er... - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Fie on such a '04 Pedestrian desire, even in jest-iculation - (Ashton)
                 No, THIS is the right answer: - (pwhysall)
                 No, it's *not* the right answer. - (static) - (11)
                     Re: No, it's *not* the right answer. - (deSitter) - (10)
                         eh? LOTR is time spent away from drudge (reporting or work) - (boxley) - (4)
                             just never warmed up to this kind of fantasy - (deSitter) - (3)
                                 not so much fantasy as much as the world circa 400 AD - (boxley)
                                 Simple - (bepatient)
                                 Let's let Tolkien defend fantasy in his own words - (ben_tilly)
                         That's what you should have said in the first place. - (static) - (4)
                             What a strange synchronicity - (deSitter)
                             Most pithily summarized. - (Ashton)
                             Corrections - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 I stand corrected. - (static)
             The ravages of war, - (Steven A S)
         either read the dam thing or dont - (boxley) - (1)
             Never saw a machine named that way... - (admin)
         Short people, elves, and whupass. - (admin)
         If you want the short version... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Don't feed smug sloth, you ninny. -NT - (Ashton)
         You want to know what the buzz is about? - (Silverlock) - (2)
             You've been waiting for a chance to use that, haven't you? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Chenyin'-A right I have! -NT - (Silverlock)

If nautical nonsense be what ye wish...
74 ms