Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Latin question: dipthong "ae"
Does it rhyme with "sky" or "say"?
Regards,

-scott anderson
Expand Edited by admin Nov. 3, 2001, 08:22:10 PM EST
New Answering my own question
Rhymes with "sky".

Alumni is pronounced "uh-lum-nee" and alumnae is pronounced "uh-lum-nye". :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson
New OK.. but what about the \ufffdgean Sea?
Mine dict. says a long-e (- on top) as accords with how I've always heard it pronounced. Maybe different at start of a word, just to really screw up furriners (?)
New Merriam-Webster online says:
i-'jE-&n

Etymology: Latin Aegaeus, from Greek Aigaios

www.dictionary.com says the same thing but with a breve mark over the i, making it "ih-je-uhn".
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Hmm - they differ.
But I suspect that the opening is indeed elided mostly, like that initial "i" - making it moot. If I think of it, will look in the giant 15# '30s one sometime, and see what changes they noted. Minor stuff of course.

(There are some Danish words which Merkins can pronounce only by putting hand over mouth, since we don't use our throats the same way!)

A.
New Keep in mind:
Words in English dictionaries are English words with English pronunciations. :-)

At least, that's my wife's theory.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New In that case... Phuck knows. But that wasn't what you asked.
New I know that.
I'm saying, you can't depend on an English dictionary to give you Latin pronunciations.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New But that's different: It's not originally Latin, but Greek.
New So daemon is?
d i (long) mon? like diamond, instead of like Matt Damon? (long a)?

New daemon is demon unix spelling
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Neither; it sounds like a German (& Scandinavian) a-umlaut.
New Er, no.
'ae' in Latin sounds like a long 'i'.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New ObOb: "That depends..."
Scott the first:
'ae' in Latin sounds like a long 'i'.
...in this case, that depends on what you mean by "like a long 'i'."

Not as the letter 'i' is pronounced in any sensible language, no.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Re: ObOb: "That depends..."
Long 'i' as rhymes with 'sky', 'pie', 'rye', 'my', etc.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Yup - Q. E. (that's *two* fscking sounds!) D...
New Not in *my* language it isn't.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New You one of them thar Southerners...?
...Or whatever group it is that (are supposed to) say "Mah Aah, the Skah is looking maahty faahn today"? First I'd heard of it, if that's so...

You might not have *noticed* it yourself, but if you speaka da Engrish like the overwhelming majority of Engrish-speakahs do, then the vowelly sound in "my", "eye", and "sky" *is* a diphtong (not a dip-thong, BTW :-) -- 'di-' as in 'two', 'coz it's two vowels where the first sort of glides over into the second.

No wonder you're handicapped, though: Only Engrish is so weird as to regularly spell diphtongs with a single letter, and single vowel sounds with two letters. (Contrast 'mine' -- 'mean', 'line' -- 'lean', etc.) Not even French is quite as fucked-up, AFAICS.
   Christian R. Conrad
New No.
And regardless of whether it's pronounced as one vowel or a diphtong, all of the words I listed use the same "i" sound.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New s/sound/sounds/
When you're talking about pronounciation, it's stupid to call a diphtong "_A_ sound", or to use the single letter 'i' to spell it, thass'all I'm saying.

'Coz it's TWO _sounds_; that's what makes it a di-phtong.

Absent a fhunetikl alfabett with upside-down e's and stuff, better use "Eye", or two thirds of it, or something.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Whatever.
Sometimes you are too pedantic for words, Christian. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Was that a dipth-pun?
Dunno what sorta mumblers you hang out with, Scott - but NoOne I've ever heard (who's been anywhere near that Sea) would pronounce,

\ufffdgean "Eye-gee-an".. ih-gean' far more likely, as the ac-cent' is on the second syl-lab'-le in any event. Less'n you calls them Italians 'Eye-T's' too (?) or maybe 'Eye-raq' like our Presyudent n'stuff.

{s-ighh'}

YAN punctilious proselytizer puncturing Popinjay persiflage, pal.
New Er, that's kinda my point, Asthon.
The LATIN pronunciation of "ae" is the same as how English speakers say "sky" or "mine".

The ENGLISH pronuciation of "Aegean" is, as the dictionaries said, "ih", not "eye".

My point to you being that you can't necessarily use an English dictionary to get the Latin pronunciation of a diphthong.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Well.. not so sure
Where is the need for *changing* (when speakin Engrish) the Actual Name-sound of a place - just for the &*%#^$# arbitrariness of that-all?

Like.. Vallejo, Santa Clara, Mexico ...

Except sloth? The Actual Name-sound is never a *wrong* sound! Haven't 'we' better things to do than to teach Bowdlerized replacements - to assure being snickered-at, by anyone who ever left Passaic?

(Say even.. one o' them I-Wrack-EEs who might visit and not recognize her own country being 'named')

Never mind. I guess I need more ed-dja-Kay'-shun, so I can run for orifice someday.
New I dont' particularly care for it either.
Just making my point.

Hell, I live about 5 miles from a place called "Lake Orion", pronounced "OR-ee-un".

Drives me nuts.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Heh.. wait'll ya hear 'Cholmondeley' said in Murican
(Of course the Mother country has lots o' these chestnuts, startin with Worcestershire)

It's 'Chumley' !!

..it's a losin' battle hereabouts, nowadays - even without hAxoR :[
New It is Greek in origin
See my [link|http://promo.net/pg/vol/greek.html|Greek primer] at Gutenberg. "ae" is representative of the Greek letter eta. Pronunciation is up for grabs--tending to be polarized around famous dead-language professors in different parts of the world, mostly the U.S., Germany and England. I use the long-a sound, as in "day".
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New Rhymes with I
Like in Iwethey (which we should change to Pedants-R-Us).

Or not. For both the pronounciation and the name change.

:-)
Don Richards,
Proud recipient of the ABBA.
New Hey! .. we don't fool around with kids!
New Re: Latin question: dipthong "ae"
What I learned in school was that Latin pronunciation differs depending on what Latin you're speeking-- classical "ae" was more like "eye", late and medieval more like "hay" -- and I'm sure there were important regional variations in all eras (I remember reading about graffiti in Pompei mentioning a "venus bombeiana" -- so 'P' was likely pronounced "B" in Naples back then too -- it's fun to imagine Latin spoken with a neapolitan accent).

Other important changes in pronunciation occured between classical and late empire Latin, like "v" changing from "w" to "v", "c" changing from always hard to sometimes soft like "ch".

Vedi vidi vici: "whenny weedy weaky" or "venny veedy veetchy"? Caesar: "Kaiser" or "chessar"?

We (in Italy) were taught to use the late empire/medieval italian pronunciation but several people I know who took Latin in England and US were taught a more classical pronunciation.

Giovanni
     Latin question: dipthong "ae" - (admin) - (29)
         Answering my own question - (admin) - (9)
             OK.. but what about the \ufffdgean Sea? - (Ashton) - (6)
                 Merriam-Webster online says: - (admin) - (4)
                     Hmm - they differ. - (Ashton) - (3)
                         Keep in mind: - (admin) - (2)
                             In that case... Phuck knows. But that wasn't what you asked. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 I know that. - (admin)
                 But that's different: It's not originally Latin, but Greek. -NT - (CRConrad)
             So daemon is? - (gdaustin) - (1)
                 daemon is demon unix spelling -NT - (boxley)
         Neither; it sounds like a German (& Scandinavian) a-umlaut. -NT - (CRConrad) - (14)
             Er, no. - (admin) - (13)
                 ObOb: "That depends..." - (CRConrad) - (12)
                     Re: ObOb: "That depends..." - (admin) - (11)
                         Yup - Q. E. (that's *two* fscking sounds!) D... -NT - (CRConrad) - (10)
                             Not in *my* language it isn't. -NT - (admin) - (9)
                                 You one of them thar Southerners...? - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                     No. - (admin) - (7)
                                         s/sound/sounds/ - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                             Whatever. - (admin) - (5)
                                                 Was that a dipth-pun? - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                     Er, that's kinda my point, Asthon. - (admin) - (3)
                                                         Well.. not so sure - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                             I dont' particularly care for it either. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                 Heh.. wait'll ya hear 'Cholmondeley' said in Murican - (Ashton)
         It is Greek in origin - (tseliot)
         Rhymes with I - (Silverlock) - (1)
             Hey! .. we don't fool around with kids! -NT - (Ashton)
         Re: Latin question: dipthong "ae" - (GBert)

The fat Penguin is back stage putting on her Valkyrie costume and warming up her voice, even as we speak.
295 ms