IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Lehrer News Hour: Credible threat to bridges, nukes
Though the concrete suffered only "superficial damage", the wall itself was pushed back five feet. I don't have a TV so I haven't seen the parameters of the test, but this would indicate that a loaded, fueled, jetliner might well be a hazard, even on an armoured containment shell.

I don't think so.

The wall was maybe.. 40X20? It was basically the wingspan X height of the plane on the rocket sled.

I think the "moved back" was due to its small size. An airliner would have even more surface area, and do less real damage.

[link|http://www.designbuildmag.com/news/2001/10/22/eng-abcnews_scitech/eng-abcnews_scitech_043408_6088476534203140656.asp| Some details:]
\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffdOne line of defense is the structures that enclose nuclear reactors. Although they vary slightly in design, NRC guidelines stipulate that containment buildings be designed to withstand the impact of a bomb or small plane. That durability was proven in a 1989 test when Sandia National Labs in New Mexico sent a rocket-propelled F-4 fighter jet into a containment wall at 480 miles per hour. The jet disintegrated while the wall sustained only 2.4 inches of penetration.
\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd"Typically these are concrete structures that are reinforced with steel that can be 10 feet thick or more," said Al Ghorbanpoor, a civil engineer at the University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee who has provided consulting in design for nuclear power plants. "They have been designed to sustain a large bomb impact, and the impact of a small plane, but if you're talking about a 747, I'm not sure."

I think all the reactors we have are built to take a nuke shot - since they'd be targets in the Cold War (gone hot). What the parameters are, I don't know....

Another note - they didn't stop the airliners from going over them, just the small planes. :)

The *only* way I can see that they're a threat - is if we *really* think they've got man-portable atomics.

I don't know.. If (big damn if) we'd ever see the truth about this, I'd be very interested in knowing what's going on. :)

But the concept that they've got atomics... which is the only thing I can think of, is worrying me. Time to get some more sunblock..

Addison
New All muslims best pray for the safety of my children
because if they are hurt by bin laden, I like Muslims have nothing against them, if they declare war on me and assert this war by making it personal, it will be personal. Terrorism works in both directions, I dont ever want to go there but will if goaded.
My personal sense of freedom would be invoked as well as provoked.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New I have a feeling there will be alot of this attitude.
And if this Anthrax thing gets out of hand and starts infecting kids...regardless of whether or not the gubment pinpoints a group responsible...it will get ugly here quickly...and the immortal words will ring true again... "We have awakened a sleeping giant and have instilled in him a terrible resolve".

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New well I have a kid with strange lesions on his skin
and he is being tested for impatego, herpes and cutaneous anthrax. He seems fine except taking enough anti-biotics for a horse. He should will be fine but I am consumed with whatifs. Usual parental nightmares. I will take personal revenge on those overseas who I can identify as being sympathetic to Bin Laden. That takes in a wide territory. If any lasting harm is proved to be from overseas.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
     Lehrer News Hour: Credible threat to bridges, nukes - (kmself) - (9)
         This is getting annoying - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Yep. - (admin)
         Re: Lehrer News Hour: Credible threat to bridges, nukes - (addison) - (3)
             All muslims best pray for the safety of my children - (boxley) - (2)
                 I have a feeling there will be alot of this attitude. - (bepatient) - (1)
                     well I have a kid with strange lesions on his skin - (boxley)
         Boy the ferry was crowded this morning! - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Yup, that's the way to do it . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 You're not helping - (tuberculosis)

*SHUN*
73 ms