IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A significant detail
You say that Jews don't think that the verses say that people should be slaughtered.

You don't say that Jews think that people should have been slaughtered.

I can easily understand how the text could be interpreted to not be talking about how we should behave now. But it very clearly talks about what awful and disgusting things the Jews of the day did and were supposed to do. And the records of the Jews having conducted those slaughters is hardly irrelevant to the current claims of some Israelies to this very day.

Cheers,
Ben
New What records?
According to you, the Bible is man made document written much later and most of the events in it didn't happen.
New up early or staying up late?
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New That is both a mis-statement, and irrelevant
First of all the old testament in the Christian Bible is essentially the records as kept by the Jews of the history of their religion.

Now Andrew Grygus thinks that large parts of what is recorded in those records is altered and made up after the fact. This is a claim that I personally have little opinion on, given that I have not studied it.

But whether or not the Old Testament is an accurate record of events, it is definitely a record of events. And it is a record which is taken seriously by Jews, Christians, and Muslims. (Though a basic claim of Islam is that the record has been altered through history. Only some Jews and Christians believe this.) Furthermore whether or not I happen to believe that the record is accurate is irrelevant to the fact that many Jews and Christians believe it to be accurate.

In particular many Jews claim that the atrocities recorded in the Old Testament happened essentially as documented in their own religious writings, and current geopolitical claims made by many in Israel depend upon the claim that their ancestors committed genocide. Furthermore it is an item of faith for many millions of people that those acts of genocide were ordered by God, and were therefore good things for the Jews to have done.

Now the statement of mine that you may be confused over is that the Christian New Testament is based on an authorized selection of eyewitness reports that were written down at some remove to the events described. Being eyewitness reports, there are internal contradictions of a kind to be found in eyewitness reports from all days. And I personally place no more or less weight on the eyewitness reports that make up the foundations of Christianity than I do the eyewitness reports from any other small religious sect.

Those are statements which fit perfectly with what is known of the history of the Bible. The statements of fact are universally accepted among religious scholars. However they are statements which a significant portion of the US public takes exception to. (Something like 40% of the US believe that the Bible is inerrant.) Hence the controversy, even though I, for instance, do not have any reason to dispute that there was a man whose name was approximately Jesus Christ (I doubt we have kept the Aramic pronounciation) who was a religious leader put to death, most probably through crucifixion.

But anyways, that is neither here nor there. For one thing it is a claim about the New Testament, not the Old. For another my statement was about current beliefs about events as recorded in the OT, and so the question of whether or not those events in fact happened is completely irrelevant.

Cheers,
Ben
New Interesting (?) side note
You don't say that Jews think that people should have been slaughtered.

Actually, it's even worse - pretty much every evil thing from the time they entered the promised land to, oh, probably the time of David or Solomon, is attributed to their failure to slaughter every last man, woman, and child in Canaan.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
     A Jew in the Mosque. - (addison) - (26)
         I guess Christian, the Jews are just whining again, right? - (bluke) - (25)
             Well . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (22)
                 Yabut.. - (Ashton)
                 Not at all - (bluke) - (20)
                     You missed the point entirely. - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                         I didn't miss the point - (bluke) - (11)
                             How very convenient for you. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                 Re: How very convenient for you. - (bluke) - (4)
                                     Well, I'm not about to become a Talmudic schollar . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         The talmud was written 2000 years ago... - (bluke) - (2)
                                             beg to differ - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 I was not being exact - (bluke)
                             A significant detail - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 What records? - (bluke) - (2)
                                     up early or staying up late? -NT - (boxley)
                                     That is both a mis-statement, and irrelevant - (ben_tilly)
                                 Interesting (?) side note - (wharris2)
                     Proselytizing - (ChrisR) - (6)
                         The original diciples of christ except for paul - (boxley) - (5)
                             Besides, how can you be the exclusive chosen people... - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                                 thass all right, we'd let yas come visit for a price, - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Actually, there was no fee... - (a6l6e6x)
                                 Very simple - (bluke) - (1)
                                     Thanks for the explanation. - (a6l6e6x)
             More on this - (bluke) - (1)
                 Clearly the mindset is (almost..) species-wide. - (Ashton)

Today’s program has been sponsored by the physical act of gulping. For thousands of years, gulping has been there for human beings when they needed an expressive gesture of the throat. Whether you want to indicate nervousness about an upcoming test or appointment, fear of the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home, or you just want to ingest milk faster than with regular swallowing, gulping is the way to go! Forget sweating, never mind shivering! Sneezing? Ugh! When you think physical actions, think gulping! Gulp now and receive a complimentary prize package, which will be conveniently buried in an unmarked spot somewhere in the Scrublands. Find it, and it’s yours!
65 ms