IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Iraq != Democracy
Because, fundamentally, these people are accustomed to be "being ruled".

They are not used to governing themselves, but are used to a strong leader being in power, and telling them what to do. As long as you bow to the strong leader, you keep your family fed, your business thriving, etc.

And it's simpler. You don't have to think, you just follow the "power de jour".

A wide distribution of wealth typically helps create a democracy because people are already responsible for themselves and their decisions. The wide distribution of wealth is typically AS A RESULT of the democracy, or that of a very benevolent monarchy.

In countries where wealth and power are concentrated, people who follow the king are used to following the king and don't understand much else.

I asked a German friend of mine, after the Berlin Wall fell, how long it would take the East Germans to get used to democracy. Reiner said it would take a generation dying off and being replaced by another, that never knew slavery. Just like it took 40 years for the Israelites to enter the Promised Land.
His saying hit me like a brick wall, how profound!

But my prediction is the same for Iraq. We will have to "occupy" Iraq for an entire generation before they will "get" democracy. In the meantime, we should fill as many tankers as possible.

Glen Austin
New Something occured to me while listening to NPR
(or reading blogs. I can't remember these days)

They were talking about how we thought that Iraqis are just waiting for us to kill Saddam, and will gladly establish a democracy. Well, it turns out, in that part of the world, people don't consider democracy a desirable option. The best thing for one's well-being is to be a dictator. Failing that, the next best thing is to be a slave of a dictator. Being an equal among equals doesn't even enter into the picture.

Here, on the other hand, not too many people would want to be a dictator - too many sleepless nights. And being a slave, even to the most powerful dictator, is considered revolting.

This fundamental blindness to each other core values reminded me of the "Ender's Game" alienation scale. Given that our views of society are so different, can we talk enough to prevent annihilation of one of us?

--

Buy high, sell sober.
     Wealth and democracy - (Arkadiy) - (7)
         Interesting and believable - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Germany was way down economically - (Arkadiy)
         A lot more than $6000 per person to make Democracy work... - (gdaustin) - (2)
             Maybe, but... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Fundamentally - (gdaustin)
         Iraq != Democracy - (gdaustin) - (1)
             Something occured to me while listening to NPR - (Arkadiy)

Make it so.
42 ms